The archaeological site of Delphi is an UNESCO World Heritage site  near the modern village of the same name in Greece. In ancient times it was the site of the most important oracle of the god Apollo. Delphi was revered throughout the Greek world as the site of the ομφαλός (omphalos) stone, the centre of the universe. In the inner ἑστία (hestia), or hearth, of the Temple of Delphic Apollo, an άσβεστος φλόγα (eternal flame) burned. After the battle of Plataea, the Greek cities extinguished their fires and brought new fire from the hearth of Greece, at Delphi; in the foundation stories of several Greek colonies, the founding colonists were first dedicated at Delphi.
There are several companies offering day trips from Athens to Delphi, prices varying from €80 to €100. To save money, you can easily organise your own day trip utilising Athens long distance buses. The journey takes about 3 hours. One-way fare: €15,10 (return ticket also available). Seats are numbered.
Buses leave several times a day from Bus Terminal B. Finding this terminal is a bit tricky, as it is not on a main road and local buses do not stop there. You can take a bus to Liosion Street and get out around number 260. Then walk to parallel street Agiou Dimitriou Oplon. Use Google Maps Public Transport to find buses to 260 Liosion St.
It is recommended to buy bus (return) tickets to Delphi one day in advance, so you are sure they are not sold out and that you can find the bus terminal on time.
Daily times to Delphi from Athens are: 07:30, 09:30, 10:30, 13:00, 15:30, 17:30, 20:00 (only Friday and Sunday)
Return: 05:30 (not Sat. and Sun.), 07:15 (only Sat. and Sun.), 09:00 (not on Sunday), 11:00, 16:00, 18:00
Consult the bus schedule, times may change.
Delphi is small enough that walking is really the only means of transportation required. The museum and archaeological site are both in walking distance from the town. Taxis however are readily available.
- 1 Museum, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00 - 15:00 (summer 20:00). Delphi is all about the hellenic culture and the remaining ruins. The downside are the opening hours of the Sanctuaries. Only during the summer heat, the place is open until 20:00. Better arrive early or stay the night before in a place nearby. From 10:00 the sanctuaries is full with classes and package tourists. 6 Euro, 3 Euro kids.
- 2 Ancient Theater.
- 3 Temple of Apollo.
- 4 Delphi Stadium.
- 5 Sanctuary of Athena with the Tholos. * .
The region of Delphi is typically Greek countryside: mountainous, with narrow roads. It's nice for hiking and cycling, especially in spring and fall as summer is really hot. Some hostels rent bikes.
- Polytropon Art (Polytropon Art Ceramic Art workshop), Athanasiou Diakou 45, 33054, Delphi, Greece, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Polytropon Art is an ceramic art workshop established at Delphi since 1986. Specialising in museum copies of greek pottery, The result is authentic and diverse works, that are simultaneously decorative and useful everyday objects, since the raw materials used to construct them are completely natural, non toxic and are food safe.
- Polytropon Art also organizes a limited number of courses in ancient Greek ceramics annually. Lessons take place at the workshop and are open to anyone interested in learning about Greek ceramics, from beginners to advanced ceramists.
Most hotels in Delphi are a bit run down as most guests only stay for one night before they visit the archeological sites. Package tourists are the main source of income and prices start at 20 Euros per night. Most mid-range hotels charge 50-70 Euros per night for a double room. Check if internet and/or breakfast is included. Hotels are booked well during the weekend and at public holidays (e.g. Easter). Arachova and Galaxidi are under 30 minutes away and good value options to avoid the package tourists.
- 1 Fedriades Hotel, 46 V.Pavlou & Friderikis str., Delphi, ☎ . Fedriades Delphi Hotel a few of the rooms overlook the Corinthian Gulf and the olive groves of Itea
- Orfeas Hotel, 35 Iphigenias Singrou St., ☎ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Budget hotel just up the hill from the main town. Clean rooms, with doubles available to single travellers for 20 Euros, with bathroom. No wireless, breakfast available for extra. 20 Euros.
- Hotel Leto, 15 Apollonos str., 33 054 Delphi, ☎ . Check-in: 12.00, check-out: 11.00. 800 meters from the archaeological site. It's a modern hotel with a view of the city of Itea and the Corinthian gulf.
- Pithos Hotel, 40A Delphi 33054 Fokida, ☎ . 45€.