Dinkelland is a municipality in the region of Twente, in Overijssel. It is formed by the towns of 1 Ootmarsum, 2 Denekamp and 3 Weerselo. The three towns are very small and provide a truly scenic view of the region of Twente. Main attractions are the medieval town of Ootmarsum, the former monastery Het Stift in Weerselo, and some historical buildings from Denekamp.
It is known that Ootmarsum has existed at least since the 800s, and the town was named in 917. Ootmarsum was an important city during the Middle Ages, and it gained city rights from the bishop of Utrecht around 1300. The lack of canals and railways excluded Ootmarsum from the industrial development of the region of Twente, and prevented it from being targeted by contemporary wars. Ootmarsum is a town frozen in time.
Denekamp was named in 1276, and historically functioned as a rural village. Unlike other towns and villages in the region, Denekamp maintained the Roman Catholic faith during the Reform period.
To get to Ootmarsum, take bus 64 at either Almelo or Oldenzaal train stations. To get to Denekamp, take bus 62 at Oldenzaal. An one-way trip costs about €2 with an OV-chipkaart, €4 with a paper ticket.
From the Oldenzaal train station (where you can rent a bicycle), the distance to Weerselo is about 8 km, to Denekamp 9.5 km and to Ootmarsum 12 km.
- Openluchtmuseum Ootmarsum, Smithuisstraat 2, Ootmarsum, ☏ . 10:00-17:00. The open air museum of Ootmarsum is a small version of the one in Arnhem. The museum is open everyday between February and October, and only on weekdays and school vacation during the rest of the year. As its larger version, it contains replicas of old houses and farming facilities, as well as expositions of old objects and paintings from the region. €5.50.
- N. H. kerk Ootmarsum, Ganzenmarket, Ootmarsum. A protestant church built in 1810-1811, when Napoleon gave the catholics their church back. It is built in neoclassic style and attracts attention due to its peculiar facade. Check VVV Ootmarsum for visit times.
- Het Kerkplein, Ootmarsum. The central square of Ootmarsum contains, besides the R. K. kerk, the largest sundial in the world, various sculptures, and it is surrounded by cozy cafes and restaurants. Twice per year, the tower of the R. K. kerk casts a shadow that extends exactly to the tower of the Oude Stadhuis.
- Tijdhuis, Gasthuisstraat 16, Ootmarsum, ☏ . The "Time House" of Ootmarsum is both an atelier and a gallery for artistic clocks. The owner of the atelier, Bote Holman, has made the sundial of Ootmarsum and many other around the world, winning an international contest in 2008.
- [dead link] Natura Docet, Oldenzaalstraat 39, Denekamp, ☏ . M-F 10:00-17:00, Sa Su 11:00-17:00. It is the oldest regional natural history museum of Netherlands, existing since 1911. It also contains a cozy garden and a cafe. €2,50-5.
- Huis Singraven, Molendijk 37, Denekamp, ☏ . A manor constructed at least before 1381. It belonged to the bishop of Utrecht, then became an abbey, and afterwards a private house with various different owners. Now it is a museum containing mainly furniture, paintings, books and other objects from the 17th and 18th centuries. €8, € 3park.
- Watermolen Singraven, Molendijk, Denekamp, ☏ . A watermill constructed in 1448, containing three mills, for an oilmill, a cornmill and a sawmill - with the last two being still in operation. A painting of the mills, drawn by Meindert Hobbema, lies in the Louvre.
- Het Stift, Het Stift 21, Weerselo, ✉ email@example.com. A collection of historical buildings maitained by the Protestant church, with the oldest, the church, dating from the 12th century. Built as a Catholic abbey, it turned into a protestant abbey during the Reform. One of the buildings was turned into a restaurant.
- Bakspieker, Jonkershoesweg 4, Breklenkamp (northeast of Ootmarsum). A curious bakehouse with a tree emerging from its roof. The tree is an oak 300 hundred years old, and the bakehouse is from 1738. The bakehouse covered the tree when expanded in 1900.
- Cosmos Sterrenwacht Dinkelland, Frensdorferweg 22, Lattrop (northeast of Ootmarsum), ☏ . Tu-F 12:30-17:30, Sa 19:30-22:00. An activity for astronomy fans, adults and kids. Contains a public telescope (the largest of the Netherlands), a planetarium and a garden representing the universe. free to €5,50.
- 1 De Schout, Burg. Hoogklimmerstraat 2, Denekamp, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. €70.
- 2 Fletcher Hotel Dinkeloord, Denekamperstraat 48, Beuningen, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. €35.
- 3 Landgoed de Holtweijde, Spiekweg 7, Lattrop, ☏ . €107.
- 4 De Landmarke, Rossumerstraat 5, Agelo, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. €100.
- 5 Stadshotel Ootmarsum, Westwal 1, Ootmarsum, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. €86.
- 6 Het Wapen van Ootmarsum, Almelosestraat 20, Ootmarsum, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 Van der Maas, Grotestraat 7, Ootmarsum, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. €75.
- 8 Twents Gastenhoes Ootmarsum, Molenstraat 22, Ootmarsum, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. €120.
- 9 De Rozenstruik, Denekamperstraat 15, Ootmarsum, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. €88.
- 10 De Postelhoek, Laagsestraat 56, Oud Ootmarsum, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 11 De Wiemsel, Winhofflaan 2, Ootmarsum, ☏ , toll-free: . €184.
Weerselo only has a single B&B and no hotels due to competition from Oldenzaal and Hengelo. If you wish to visit Weerselo, either book the B&B listed below, elsewhere in Dinkelland or in Oldenzaal or Hengelo.