Doesburg received its city rights in 1237, one year after the nearby city of Doetinchem received its city rights. Its location by the merging point of the Oude IJssel and IJssel rivers made it a strategical city. Doesburg used to be the economic capital of the Doesburg Quarter, a sub-region of the Zutphen Quarter. The Martinichurch is one of the remains of the former wealth. The silting of the Oude IJssel in the fifteenth century, which blocked the access to the cities along the Oude IJssel, limited Doesburg its wealth due to a lack of trade.
Nowadays the city still has many old buildings. The banks of the city are being modernised, but the city centre is still mostly intact.
When travelling from the south or west of the Netherlands, head for Arnhem, where you head for the interchange of the A12, N325 and A348 (Knooppunt Velperbroek), where you head onto the A348. When the highway ends, take a right onto the N348. This road will send you straight into Doesburg.
When travelling from the north of the Netherlands, first head towards Deventer, where you use the N348 in the direction of Zutphen. Follow this road all the way to Ellecom, where it will pass by the A348 and turn into the N317. This road will take you straight to Doesburg.
- 1 Martinichurch, Kerkstraat 4, NL-6981 Doesburg, ☏ .
- 2 Museum De Roode Tooren (Regional Museum), Roggestraat 9, NL-6981 Doesburg, ☏ .
- 3 Doesburgsche Mosterd- en Azijnfabriek (Doesburgian Mustard and Vinegarfactory), Boekholtstraat 22, NL-6981 CW Doesburg, ☏ .
- 4 Société Musée Lalique Pays Bas, Gasthuisstraat 1, NL-6981 CP Doesburg, ☏ .
- 5 Doesburg Town Hall, Philippus Gastelaarsstraat 2, NL-6981 BH Doesburg.
Doesburg has local fame for its mustard. You can try the mustard and find out more about it with a simple visit to the Van Ouds Alom Bekende Doesburgsche Mosterdfabriek.
- 1 De Waag, Koepoortstraat 2-4, NL-9681 AS Doesburg, ☏ .
- 2 Restaurant De Liefde, Philippus Gastelaarsstraat 5A, NL-6981 BH Doesburg, ☏ .
- 3 Het Arsenaal, Kloosterstraat 15, NL-6981 CC Doesburg, ☏ .
- 4 Lunchroom La Fleur, Kerkstraat 16, NL-6981 CM Doesburg, ☏ .
- 5 Restaurant La Liguria, Meipoortstraat 60, NL-6981 Doesburg, ☏ .
- 6 Het Zesde Zintuig, Roggestraat 1, NL-6981 BJ Doesburg, ☏ .
Doesburg is surrounded by the municipality of Bronckhorst, which is most notable for its high amount of castles. On the south side of the Oude IJssel river is the Liemers, mostly notable for its wide variety in landscapes. Nearby cities are Arnhem, Doetinchem and Zutphen. Emmerich am Rhein is a hop away, just over the German border.