|Climate chart (explanation)|
Escondido is located 30 miles north of San Diego on I-15, and 20 miles east/inland of Oceanside on State Route 78. The nearest major airport is the San Diego International Airport in San Diego. The nearest general aviation airport is Palomar Airport in Carlsbad.
The North County Transit District (NCTD) operates bus routes throughout northern San Diego County, as well as the Sprinter, a new light rail line running along Route 78 between Escondido and Oceanside.
Buses and the Sprinter train calls at 1 Escondido Transit Center, located at 700 W Valley Pkwy.
- San Diego Archaeological Center, 16666 San Pasqual Valley Rd, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9AM-4PM, Sa 10AM-2PM. Dedicated to "the care, management, and curation of archaeological artifacts discovered in the San Diego region" the site features over 500 collections as well as a public lecture series for visitors. $2 individual, $5 family.
- 1 San Diego Zoo Safari Park (formerly the San Diego Wild Animal Park). Sibling to San Diego Zoo, is located a few miles east of town, in the San Pasqual Valley of North San Diego.
- California Center for the Arts. Excellent local playhouse.
- Cruisin Grand. On Fridays from April 30 to September 18, Grand Avenue downtown becomes a classic automobile showcase with a different theme every night.
- Lake Hodges, Lake Dixon and Lake Wolford. Offer fishing, boating and other recreational activities.
- North Shore Lake Hodges Trail. A 0.6-mile trail which runs along Interstate 15, beginning at Sunset Drive (Escondido), and is an excellent and moderate hiking, biking, and equestrian trail. For mountain bikers, there is a trail that continues west.
- Reidy Creek Golf Course, 2300 North Broadway, ☏ . Surrounded by rugged hills and grassy parkland in a rural setting.
- Amvets, 2085 E Valley Pkwy, ☏ . Thrift store.
- Westfield North County.
- Agrusa's Sandwich Shop, 1606 E Valley Pkwy, ☏ .
- Fat Ivor's Rib Rack, 27961 Valley Center Rd, ☏ . Valley Center. Burned down in 2003, but is now reopened; pit barbecue smoked pork and beef ribs to drool for.
- Hernandez' Hideaway Restaurant, 19320 Lake Dr, ☏ .
- 1 Peterson's Donut Corner, 903 S Escondido Blvd (Exit the 15 freeway onto W Valley Pkwy heading east, then make a right onto La Terraza Blvd (heading south), next a left onto W 9th Ave (East). Continue on W 9th until reaching Escondido Blvd. Peterson's will be on the South-Western corner to the right.), ☏ . Open 24 hours most days of the year (they usually close around Christmas to the start of the New Year). Around $1 per donut.
- 2 EscoGelato, 122 South Kalmia, ☏ . 8AM-9PM weekdays, 9AM-9PM weekends. A locally owned gelato shop just off Grand Ave. in downtown Escondido. Ingredients are often locally sourced from the weekly Escondido farmers' market. In addition to gelato, the location also serves salads, paninis, baked goods, coffee, and other beverages. Gelato cakes and catering are available as well.
- 1 Holiday Wine Cellar, 302 W Mission Ave, ☏ . Has an extensive collection of wine, beer, and liquor. Weekend afternoon and weekday evening tasting events are frequently hosted in the downstairs cellar bar (a retro space accessible by a spiral, red carpeted staircase). This local business also operates an online retailer.
- 2 Stone Brewing Company, 1999 Citricado Parkway, ☏ . The Escondido location is Stone Brewing Company's headquarters. Stone brews a variety of regular and seasonal beers, with a particular strength in IPAs; its most famous beer is "Arrogant Bastard," an American Strong Ale, but Stone brewery has an expansive. For visitors, the brewery has a company store and an extensive restaurant and beer garden. Growlers and growler fills, including many limited special release beers, are available in the company store. Brewery tours are offered several times daily, which end in a beer tasting.
- 3 Orfila Vineyards and Winery, 13455 San Pasqual Rd, ☏ . Winery with an indoor and outdoor tasting room space.
|Routes through Escondido|
|Riverside ← Fallbrook ←||N S||→ San Diego → END|
|Oceanside ← San Marcos ←||W E||→ Ramona → Brawley|