Essex is a town in on Cape Ann in the North Shore region of Massachusetts. Settled by direct descendants of the Mayflower passengers in the early 1600s, it was later world-renowned as North America's fishing schooner construction center. Today, history permeates the town, enhanced by its many antique stores.
From the South Take Interstate 93 North to the Route 128/Peabody exit. Follow 128/I-95 North staying to the left (Route 128) at the 128/I-95 split. Take Exit 15 Manchester/Essex. At the end of the ramp turn left.
From the North Take Interstate 95 South to the Route 128/Gloucester exit. Follow 128/I-95 North staying to the left (Route 128) at the 128/I-95 split. Take Exit 15 Manchester/Essex. At the end of the ramp turn left.
- 1 The Essex Historical Society & Shipbuilding Museum, 66 Main Street, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Photographs, tools and artifacts associated with the town's 300 year history of shipbuilding. The museum also offers historical interpretation of several other properties including an 1835 schoolhouse. Adults, $7; Seniors, $6; ages 6-18 $5, under 6 free..
- Cogswell's Grant, ☏ . Spring Street. Open June 1 - Oct 15 W-Su. Tours houly noon-4PM. $10. A 1728 farmhouse richly decorated with American folk art pieces.
Essex is famous for its antique stores, many of which are converted from 1800s era residences. There is, perhaps, no finer array of antique shops, with over 35 establishments to browse.
- Blue Marlin Grille, 65 Eastern Ave, ☏ .
- Essex Seafood, 143R Eastern Ave, ☏ .
- J.T. Farnham’s, 88 Eastern Ave, ☏ .
- Fortune Palace II, 99 main St, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Periwinkles, 74 Main St, ☏ .
- Shea’s Riverside, 122 Main St, ☏ .
- Windward Grille, 109 Eastern Ave, ☏ .
- Woodman’s of Essex, 121 Main St, ☏ . Seafood in the rough.
- Red Barrel Pub, 171 Eastern Ave, ☏ .
- George Fuller House, 148 Main St, ☏ . Nice downtown bed and breakfast.
- Essex River House Motel, 132 Main St, ☏ . One night stays available.
|Routes through Essex|
|END ←||N S||→ Hamilton → Beverly|
|Georgetown ← Ipswich ←||W E||→ Gloucester → Ends at|