Forks is a city in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington in the Pacific Northwest of the United States of America. Well-known due to the Twilight saga hype, this little charming town serves primarily as a transit point for visitors further exploring the beaches and mountains on the Olympic National Park, while the city itself has a number of attractions related to the movie that are worth seeing.
The 1 Forks (bus) Transit Center for Clallam Transit and Jefferson Transit is located along Hwy 101 (Forks Ave locally) at 551 S Forks Avenue on the corner of Forks Ave and "E" Street, south of the high school. Buses travel more or less along US Hwy 101 and do NOT go into the Olympic National Park itself, Hoh Rainforest Visitor Center or the Olympic National Forest. They can only drop off along the road and it is up to the individual to hike into the park:
- Jefferson Transit-Olympic Connection travels along Hwy 101 between Forks and Amanda Mercantile at Amanda Park on Mondays through Saturdays. Connection with Grays Harbor Transit Rt #50 to Hoquiam & Aberdeen from Amanda Park (Mercantile). There are no east-west roads across Jefferson County (Olympics Mountains) between the US Hwy 101 corridor and Port Townsend (major city and county seat of Jefferson County) without going all the around through Port Angeles. Passengers can also transfer buses in Aberdeen to continue further south along the coast or east towards Olympia and Shelton.
- Rocket Transportation, toll-free: . M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-2PM. Door to door service in the Olympic Peninsula (Port Angeles, Sequim, Forks) from Sea-Tac $66-150 one way, 30% discount for additional persons with one full fare passenger.
The Forks Airport (FAA LID: S18) (for general aviation only) is one mile south of the city. While there is no commercial air traffic, the airport has a lot of general aviation traffic every day. An alternative is Quillayute Airport FAA LID: UIL, 10 mi (16 km), 20 minutes to the west of Forks, which has quieter traffic but a longer runway.
The local roads are designed more or less around a grid system, where most roads are numbered based on their distance from the city center. Addresses also conform to the numbering of the roads around them. Nearly all streets run with the compass directions. Forks Ave (US-Hwy 101) divides east from west while Division St divides north from south.
The town of Forks is compact and can be easily covered on foot. Clallam Transit Route 17 runs a loop around the town.
Forks is the key setting of the Twilight series by the author Stephenie Meyer and houses several sites featured in the novels and films.
- 1 Forks Chamber of Commerce, 1411 S Forks Ave (Outside Forks Airport), toll-free: . Summer: M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 11AM-4PM. The tourist center to Forks, visitors can pick up guides here for lodging, shopping, activities and dining. There are logging tours each Wednesday at 9AM that last three hours. Outside the Chamber of Commerce is a replica of "Bella's Truck" from Twilight. Free.
- 1 Forks High School, 191 S Spartans Ave (At junction with C), ☏ . While not open to the public, the school is the setting for Bella and Edward's school in Twilight. The school sign was replicated for the movie and is popular with visitors for photos. Filming of the school took place at Kalama High School in Kalama, WA for the exterior scenes while some of the interior shots like the cafeteria was filmed at Madison High School in Portland. In New Moon (2009) the school scenes were filmed at David Thompson Secondary School in Vancouver, BC. Other interior scenes of the high school were also filmed in Saint Helens, Oregon and Pasadena, California too.
- 2 Forks Community Hospital, 530 Bogachiel Way (At junction with 5th), ☏ . The workplace of Edward Cullen's father in the Twilight series, there is a reserved spot in the parking lot for Dr Cullens. The filming scenes for the emergency room, hallway outside of emergency, and later when Bella is actually in a hospital room was filmed at Vibra Specialty Hospital in Portland. Interior access to either Forks Community Hospital or Vibra is limited.
- 3 Forks City Police Department, 500 E Division St (At junction with Camas). This is the setting in Twilight for the workplace of Bella's father Charlie Swan. The filming location for the police station is at the Wauna Credit Union Building (1010 Bridge St) in Vernonia, Oregon.
- 4 Cullen House (Miller Tree Inn Bed & Breakfast), 654 E Division St (Just past Forks City Hall), ☏ . 10AM - 4PM. Similar to the written description offered by author Stephenie Meyer in her first "Twilight" book (page 321), the house is nearly "a hundred years old . . . painted a soft, faded white, three stories tall", with a "porch . . . wrapped around the first story". The public is welcome on the front porch for a free view of the note left by Esme. Inside photo opportunities of the graduation caps and Carlisle's Office are available for $3 per person. In the movie the Cullen House was exaggerated in a private residence in Portland (3333 NW Quimby) while in New Moon the Cullen House is in another private residence in West Vancouver BC (118 Stevens Dr). (Note that the filming locations are in privates residences. Please respect the privacy of the occupants).
- 5 Swan House, 775 'K' St. Bella & her father Charlie Swan are described to live here in the novel. Bella's house in Forks is a private residence and offer no public tour inside. It can only be seen from the outside. The filming location for the Swans House in 2008 was filmed in Saint Helens, Oregon; 30 miles north of Portland at 184 S 6th st. The "Swan House" in St Helens is available for rent to travelers on a short term basis on Air BnB. In New Moon (2009) the Swan House was recreated on a vacant lot in Surrey, BC which was torn down after filming.
- 1 Rialto Beach, Pacific Ocean Wild Beach (14 miles E on HWY 110 then Mora Rd). An iconic beach, part of the Olympic National Park. Lines of sprawling sea stacks. The lines of sand has an access to Little James Island and has a view of the La Push Marina.
- 2 Second Beach, Pacific Ocean (Accessible via the Second Beach Trail from La Push). Fabulous 1½-mile walk on a safe easy path through beautiful tall trees to Tealwhit Point. Breathtaking! Great beach, tide pools and driftwood. Mystical.
- 1 Forks Coffee Shop, 241 S Forks Ave, ☏ . Daily 5:30AM-8PM. Diner with super-sized all-day breakfast and pastries. Eerie taxidermy ox and run-out interiors but the food is not a let-down. Up to $15.
- 2 South North Gardens, 140 Sol Duc Way, ☏ . Tu-Th 11AM-9PM, F 11AM-10PM, Sa noon-10PM, Su noon-8PM. Decent Chinese food option in this small city. Offers both family and individual combos, and a wide array of both meat-based and vegetarian-based main courses. Popular as a to-go option. Up to $11.
Bed and breakfastEdit
- 1 Miller Tree Inn Bed & Breakfast, 654 East Division St (6 1/2 blocks east of Forks' only Hwy 101 stoplight), toll-free: . Check-in: 4:30-7:30PM, check-out: 11AM. Historic 1916 farm house with 8 guest rooms, all with private baths and TV/DVDs. Two rooms have fireplaces and whirlpool tubs, while the Orchard Suite also features a small kitchen. The inn plays the part of the Twilight Series' Cullen House, which however looks nothing like the Hollywood version, which is located in Portland, OR. Hearty breakfasts, soft drinks, cookies, wireless internet and parking included. $115-$235.
- 2 Misty Valley Inn Bed & Breakfast, 194894 Highway 101 N (2 miles north of Forks on Hwy 101), ☏ . Check-in: 4:30-10PM, check-out: noon. A stone and cedar home nestled on a ridge in the rain forest overlooking the Sol Duc River Valley. Antique furniture and collectibles are set off by the hand rubbed natural woods, rock work and unusual lighting. Guests can select their own menus and meal times, in addition to a wake-up call. All rooms have private baths. The gardens feature plants accented with seasonal flowering perennials and annuals, with an adjacent outdoor spa. A dessert and beverage bar is available to guests in the afternoon into the evening. $85-170.
- 3 Forks Motel, 351 S Forks Ave, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM-10PM, check-out: 11AM. A large motel at the heart of the town. Old interior. Ample outdoor area for BBQ and a swimming pool. Winter from $65, Summer from $90.
- 4 Pacific Inn Motel, 352 S Forks Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, obtain key after office closes at 10PM, check-out: noon. A small motel at the heart of the town, across the Forks Motel. All rooms have air-conditioning. A few rooms are Twilight-themed, with black and red interior, even into the towels. Spotty Wi-Fi. In-house self laundromat available. Winter from $70, Summer from $105.
- Visitors following the Twilight series (the written novel) usually combine their tours with a visit to La Push, the home of the Quileute Tribe in the stories. It is 14 miles west of Forks along Route 110, and is also accessible by Clallam Transit Route 15, which runs three daily services on weekdays (leaving Forks 7:20AM, 11:05AM and 3:35PM) and two on Saturdays (leaving Forks 9:20AM and 4:50PM).
- Port Angeles is the largest city in the Olympic Peninsula, just an hour drive away northbound on Highway 101. Some parts of the Twilight story was also set in Port Angeles.
- Queets is a small town about 40 miles south of Forks along Route 101. On the way you'll pass through Kalaloch campground, with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. There are many places to camp here, as well as cabins. Queets features a "general store" and a small village on the border of the Quinault Indian Nation.
- Hoh Rainforest is a the major temperate rainforest in North America and is part of Olympic National Park. The entrance into the park is 18 mi (29 km) south of town along US Hwy 101 and it is another 13 mi (21 km) to the visitors center from the main highway.
- Actual filming of Twilight (2008) took a place in Portland while Twilight: New Moon (2009) was filmed in Vancouver, BC. Other locations in British Columbia, Oregon and Washington state were also used to depict the settings of the story in both films. Later scenes for Volterra in New Moon were filmed in Montepulciano, Italy.
|Routes through Forks|
|Aberdeen ← Hoquiam ←||S E||→ Lake Crescent/Marymere Falls → Port Angeles|
|La Push ← Second Beach ←||W E||→ END|