Gilbert is a Town in the Greater Phoenix region of Arizona. It has a population of about 242,000 (2017). It was the 24th safest city in the United States with populations over 75,000, as of 2010. From 1990–2003, it was the fastest growing city in the United States.
Gilbert owes its beginnings to William "Bobby" Gilbert who provided land to the Arizona Eastern Railway in 1902 to construct a rail line between Phoenix and Florence, Arizona. Ayer's Grocery Store, the first store in Gilbert, opened in 1910 and became the location of the first post office in 1912. The town post office moved several times before settling on the east side of Gilbert Road in downtown, where it still stands today. In 1912, many Mormons who had fled the Mormon colonies in Mexico due to the actions of the forces of Pancho Villa settled in Gilbert. By 1915, they began holding church meetings at the Gilbert Elementary School. In 1918, they were organized into the Gilbert Ward.
Incorporated in July 1920, Gilbert was primarily a farming community fueled by the rail line and construction of the Roosevelt Dam and the Eastern and Consolidated Canals. It remained an agricultural town for many years and was known as the "Hay Capital of the World" from 1911 until the late 1920s.
- 1 Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), ☏ . It is in East Phoenix 3 miles from downtown. All major U.S. carriers serve Phoenix Sky Harbor with lots of flights to major cities across the country. Southwest Airlines and American Airlines have hubs at Sky Harbor. It is approximately 30 minutes from Gilbert.
- 2 Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA IATA). East of Phoenix, in neighboring Mesa. It is served mainly by Allegiant Air, although Vision Airlines also offers service from North Las Vegas. This is a small airport that is being redeveloped into a major regional airport.
Gilbert is primarily served by one area freeway—the Santan Freeway portion of Loop 202. A small section of the US 60 Superstition Freeway also skirts the northern boundary of the town at the Higley Road interchange (Exit 186). Several regional arterials also serve the area, including Williams Field Road, Chandler Boulevard, and Gilbert Road.
Car and bus are the easiest ways to get around Gilbert.
- 1 [dead link] Cosmo Dog Park, 2502 E. Ray Rd, ☏ . 5:30AM-10PM. One of the best dog parks in the nation. Lake for the dogs to play in. Separate areas for active and timid dogs. Ramadas, tables and benches available. Lighted for use at night. free.
- 2 [dead link] Discovery Park, 2214 E Pecos Road (NE corner of Santan Village Parkway and Pecos Road). A 48-acre park. The park was named for the discovery of fossils of a Columbian Mammoth near the site during construction.
- 3 Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch, 2757 E. Guadalupe Rd (just east of Southeast Library). sunrise - sunset. Walking paths through a series of ponds. Bring your camera, several hundred different types of birds come here every year. The park also contains an observatory, dinosaur find and archeology find areas. Year-round fishing at the Water Ranch Lake (permits required). free.
- 1 Gilbert Historical Museum, 10 S. Gilbert Rd (SW corner of Gilbert and Elliot Rds). 9AM-4PM. Variety of exhibits about the founding and growth of the Town of Gilbert. $5 adults, $4 senior, $3 children, under 5 free.
- 2 Hale Centre Theatre, 50 W. Page Ave, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Theatre-in-the-round. Does a season with plays, musicals and children's theatre. Prices vary. Special group rates are available.
- 1 Farm House Restaurant, 228 N Gilbert Rd, ☏ . Fresh breakfasts served daily. Many travelers go out of their way to make a stop here.
- 2 Liberty Market, 230 N. Gilbert Rd, ☏ . Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Local favorite. No reservations. Moderately priced. Restrooms are a must see.
- 3 Joe's Real Barbeque (Joe's Real BBQ), 301 N. Gilbert Rd, ☏ . 11AM-9PM. Great BBQ, atmosphere. Another local favorite. No reservations but plenty of room both indoors and out. Excellent value for the price. Can handle parties of almost any size. Take out and catering. moderate.
- 4 Joe's Farm Grill, 3000 Ray Rd, ☏ . 7AM-9PM. American food using vegetables grown on the farm. Featured on the Food Network. Built on an existing farm, they left the gigantic cottonwood trees which makes eating outdoors a real pleasure. Portions are large. moderate.
- 5 Flancers Cafe, 610 N. Gilbert Rd, ☏ . Great sandwiches. Take-out available. You can also buy their famous bread to take home and make your own sandwiches. moderate.
- 6 Lulu's Taco Shop, 610 N. Gilbert Rd, ☏ . Mexican. Some of the best Mexican food in Gilbert. Open for breakfast and lunch. Excellent breakfast burritos.
- 7 Some Burros!, Market Street and Williams Field Rd, ☏ . 10:30AM-10PM. Excellent portion sizes for exceptional food. Family owned and run business with four locations in the Valley. Macha burros are always a favorite. Dining indoors or out. Takeout available. Moderate pricing.
- 8 Euro Cafe (Romeo's Euro Cafe), 207 N. Gilbert Rd. Suite 105 (Entrance is at rear of building), ☏ . 10AM-11PM. International and eclectic foods. Excellent wine list. Offers food and wine pairing and wine makers dinners for $45 a person, reservations required in advance. Excellent dessert menu. Caters. Moderate pricing.
- 9 Phoenicia Cafe II (Phoenicia Cafe), 1150 S. Gilbert Rd, Ste 104 (across from City Hall), ☏ . Tu-Sa 7AM-11AM, Su 8AM-1PM. Greek and Mediterranean food. Excellent lunch menu with buffet. Now serving breakfast. Also have a Tempe location. Take out available. moderate.
- 10 Waldo's BBQ, 2743 S. Market St Ste 111 (San Tan Plaza), ☏ . Specializes is BBQ ribs but is famous for all things BBQ. Take-out and catering available. Original location still in Mesa, Az. Famous for its wall decor as well. A local favorite. Moderate.
- 11 In-N-Out Burger, 2449 S. Market St (Williams Field and Market), toll-free: . 10:30AM-1AM. American fast food but freshly cooked. You can watch them cut the potatoes for the french fries. Great food for the price. Cooked to order. Takeout as well. Child friendly. moderate.
- 12 Oregano's Pizza Bistro, 328 N. Gilbert Rd, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Excellent pizza and other Italian foods. Pizzas range from 12" to 18" for thin crust. Stuffed pizzas are 8" to 12" Large variety of styles of pizzas and toppings. Will deliver for large parties. Takeout available. moderate.
- 13 J K Chinese Gourmet, 2540 S. Val Vista Dr. #106. Great food, excellent service. Hidden in a smaller shopping center, but worth the visit. Takeout available. moderate.
- 14 Yao Chinese Cuisine, 2487 S. Gilbert #102 (Gilbert Rd and Williams Field Rd), ☏ . One of the top 100 Chinese restaurants in America. Extensive Chinese menu. Lunch specials. Moderate.
- 15 Pita Jungle, 1431 E. Williams Field Rd. Ste. 101 (Williams Field and Val Vista), ☏ . Healthy foods. Catering. Extensive menu and friendly service. moderate.
- 16 Thai Chili 2 Go, 1887 E Williams Field Road, ☏ . Thai food made with authentic ingredients
- 1 Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row, 323 N. Gilbert Rd, ☏ . Country bar with American cuisine and nightlife
- 2 The Brass Tap, 313 N Gilbert Rd, ☏ . Over 60 beers on tap.
- 3 Fox Cigar Bar, 1464 East Williams Field Road, ☏ . Has a selection of beer, whiskey, and cigars.
- 4 The White Rabbit, 207 N Gilbert Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A speakeasy in downtown Gilbert.
- Tru by Hilton Gilbert, 1950 S Santan Village Pkwy, ☏ . The rooms are kind of small, though the service and the food is great and the rooms are very well-kept and clean. It is located in nearby Gilbert. The usual cost is $76, and it has a gym, an outdoor pool, free wifi, breakfast, and parking. It is also handicap-accessible and has air conditioners.
- 1 Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix/Gilbert, 3265 S Market St, ☏ . The rooms are very well-kept, and the food is very good. The food selection includes fresh cookies, waffles and omelets, and also includes pressed fruit drinks. The service is also on-time, but the beds are quite hard without some sort of pillow or blanket covering them. Like Tru above, it is located in nearby Gilbert. the usual cost is $74, and it has free wifi, breakfast, and parking, with handicap accessibility, an outdoor pool, and air-conditioning.
- 2 Hyatt Place, 3275 E Market St.
- 3 Home 2 Suites, 3333 E Market St.
- 4 DoubleTree, 1800 S SanTan Village Parkway.
|Routes through Gilbert|
|Ends at ← Chandler ←||W N||→ Mesa → Tempe|