Guanajuato is divided into 5 geographical zones:
- El Bajio
- Los Altos
- Sierra Gorda
- Sierra Central
- Los Valles Abajeños
- 1 Guanajuato – State capital and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 2 Celaya – Famous for its production of a milk candy called cajeta.
- 3 Dolores Hidalgo – City where the fight for independence started in 1810.
- 4 Irapuato – Strawberry capital of the world, industrial capital of the Bajio.
- 5 León – Biggest city of the state, a modern and commercial city that is the financial center of Guanajuato.
- 6 Moroleon
- 7 Pénjamo
- 8 Salamanca – Home of one of the largest refineries of Latin America.
- 9 San Miguel de Allende – UNESCO World Heritage Site.