Having a car is important. You can get to Guerneville using public transportation, however is not easy or convenient. Once you are at 'the River' (as it is also known) having a car will help you explore the stunningly beautiful countryside. There are bicycle rentals available in town (seasonally), but much of the terrain is very hilly and the roads are narrow without much of a shoulder for getting well out of traffic.
- 1 Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve, 170000 Armstrong Woods Rd, ☏ , fax: . Visitor center, large outdoor amphitheater, self-guided nature trails from 1 to 9 miles long, and a variety of picnic facilities among towering redwoods.
- Segway tour of Armstrong Redwoods, ☏ . Offered by Segway of Healdsburg, this guided tour on, yes, Segways, begins in downtown Guerneville. It takes a back route to Armstrong Redwoods State Preserve. Mondays only. $99 (summer/fall), before discounts.
- 2 Johnson's Beach. Enjoy the beach on a sunny day.
- Russian River Jazz and Blues Festival (Johnson's Beach). An annual festival held at the end of the summer.
- 3 Pee Wee Golf and Arcade, 16155 Drake Rd (Just south of bridge.), ☏ . Daily 11AM-10PM; opens after Easter (call to verify). 36 holes of miniature golf in a somewhat surreal landscape
- Rio Nido Pee Wee Golf (Between Rio Nido Road and Canyon 7, next to the homeowner’s park.). Fri, Sat - 6 to 9 p.m. during the summer. Miniature golf in the redwoods; popcorn, candy, ice cream, and sodas at the snack bar; a clubhouse with pin ball machines, a foosball table, and other games for kids.
- 4 Sunset Beach.
Shopping in Guerneville is like walking back in time. With eclectic shops, art galleries, wine cellars, and antique stores you are sure to find what you are looking for. The 5 & 10 Store on Main Street sells treats, candies, games and more. At Etc. Etc. you'll find one of a kind items from around the world.
Groceries can be purchased at the local farmers market, organic food store or Safeway. Every weekend sports a small flea market and local artists can be seen all over town.
- Carport Gallery (Russian River Studios), 15098 Old River Rd, ☏ . Unique art gallery featuring fine art from local and regional artists; rotating exhibits include paintings, sculpture, glass mosaics; and jewelry. Prices generally range from under $50 up to $1500.
- Applewood Inn, 13555 Highway 116, toll-free: . Upscale, a la carte, entrees $22-$32.
- Main Street Bistro, 16280 Main St, ☏ .
- Russian River Inn, 16141 Main St, ☏ . Change of ownership has the Swedish pancakes being prepared in a more traditional manner. Still good food.
- Russian River Pub. On River Road between Hacienda and Guerneville, serves great pub grub with a view of the hills from its outdoor patio.
- 1 Korbel Winery, 13250 River Rd, ☏ . Offers an entertaining and educational tour of its champagne cellars. Champagne tasting is free after the tour, and a gourmet deli offers good choices for a lunch under the redwoods.
- 2 Stumptown Brewery, 15045 River Rd, ☏ . Daily, 11AM-2PM (grill is open 11AM-9PM). Around a dozen local beers on tap, most of them from this brewery. of their own, plus some other local brews. The Stumptown Grill is cash only; there is an ATM inside.
- 3 Rainbow Cattle Company, 16220 Main St ((note that River Road becomes Main Street within downtown Guerneville)), ☏ . Daily, noon-2AM. Famous gay bar.
- 1 Applewood Inn, 13555 Highway 116, ☏ . $185-$345.
- 2 Cottages On River Road, 14880 River Road, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Creekside Inn & Resort, 16180 Neeley Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . $90-$210.
- Fern Grove Cottages, 16650 Highway 116, ☏ . A variety of nice accommodations. $89-$300.
- Highlands Resort, 14000 Woodland Dr, ☏ , fax: . Individual Cabins with fireplaces - some with kitchens or oversized soaking tubs, and all with private porches. Peaceful gay and lesbian (straight-friendly) retreat. Most cabins recently remodeled. Clothing optional sunbathing at pool. Seasonal camping. Massage Therapist available for outdoor massage in a grove of redwood trees (weather permitting) or indoors. Three pet-friendly cabins. 2 blocks to town. Day Use ($5-10) includes use of the pool, bbq, tv lounge & grounds (only clothing optional at the pool). No restaurant or bar. $95-$200.
- Russian River Studios, 15098 Old River Rd, ☏ . Updated studios all have one queen bed and a full kitchen. Close to downtown for shopping and restaaurants, great location near hiking, wine tasting, and summer water sports. Great for a weekend or a week. $69-$149.
- West Sonoma Inn & Spa, 14100 Brookside Ln, ☏ . From $194.