Haddington is in The Lothians, 15 miles east of Edinburgh. It's a small market town and the administrative centre of East Lothian council area.
Haddington is just off the A1. East Coast Bus 104 runs from Edinburgh to Haddington via Musselburgh, Wallyford and Tranent. It runs daily every 30 mins and takes an hour.
East Coast Bus X7 runs from Edinburgh to Haddington (50 mins), East Linton and Dunbar, daily every 30 mins.
Eves Coaches Bus 121 runs from Haddington to North Berwick via East Fortune and Drem railway station, daily every couple of hours.
- 1 St Mary's Parish Church, Sidegate Haddington EH41 4BZ. Closed for rebuilding. Substantial and attractive church dating from the 14th C. Interior is being rebuilt in 2019, you can admire exterior but entry will probably be limited to services, which continue Suns 09:30 & 11:00.
- 2 Traprain Law. Always accessible. Crag 221m / 725ft high, where glaciers scooped away other rock leaving a scarp, a tail of debris and an easily defended site. On top was an oppidum or hill fort, occupied from at least 1500 BC. When the Romans arrived they found it occupied by the Votadini, who later decamped to the similarly-formed Castle Rock in Edinburgh. In 1919 a hoard of broken-up 5th C Roman silver was found here (now in the NMS, Edinburgh): it may have been sawn up to use as coinage. Free.
- 3 The National Museum of Flight is at East Fortune Airfield off B1347 three miles east of Haddington; bus 121 runs this way. See Gullane listing.
- Aberlady Bay five miles north is a bird reserve.
- 4 Preston Mill, Preston Rd, East Linton EH40 3DS. Th-M 12:30-17:00. Picturesque 18th century watermill with a conical red-pantile roof, now managed by NTS. See also Phantassie Doocot just across the river. Adult £7, conc £5, NTS / NT free.
- 1 Glenkinchie Distillery is open daily Mar-Oct 10:00-17:00, Nov-Feb 10:00-16:00 for tours (standard £10) and tastings. It's at Peastonbank EH34 5ET, off A6093 midway between Haddington and Dalkeith. They offer a shuttle service between Edinburgh Waterloo Place and Glenkinchie twice a day at 10:00 and 13:30, £14 return, phone +44 1875 342012 to book.
- Haddington Agricultural Show is held around the end of June. The next event is Saturday 3 July 2022.
There's a Tesco in town centre.
- Waterside Bistro (across the footbridge) is open daily 11:00-23:00.
- Pubs are The Green on Court Street and The New Pheasant on Market Street.
- Victoria Inn on Court Street closed in 2018 but a new owner plans to re-open it.
- Maitlandfield House Hotel, 24 Sidegate EH41 4BZ (between St Mary's and rugby pitch), ☏ . Pleasant little hotel in 17th C mansion but decor showing its age. B&B double from £90.
- Letham House, EH41 3SS (off B6471 west edge of town), ☏ . Upscale hotel in mansion built in 1645. B&B double from £150.
Haddington and the main roads around it have 4G with all UK carriers. As of July 2021, 5G has not reached this area.
- North to Gullane and North Berwick
- West to Musselburgh and Edinburgh
- East to Dunbar and Berwick-upon-Tweed.
|Routes through Haddington|
|Edinburgh ← Musselburgh ←||W E||→ Dunbar → Newcastle-upon-Tyne|