- For other places with the same name, see Hershey (disambiguation).
Hershey is an unincorporated village in the Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania. It has a rich history and cultural significance being the birthplace of Hershey's Chocolate. One of the village's most well known attractions is Hersheypark, a theme park that provides fun for the family.
Best known for Hershey's Milk Chocolate, Hershey thrives today on what began as a vision of Milton S. Hershey to build a model town to meet the basic, recreational, and cultural needs of the factory workers. Hershey is not incorporated as a town or city, but is actually a municipality known as Derry Township.
1 Harrisburg International Airport (MDT IATA) in Middletown is a short 15 minutes away from Hershey, Pennsylvania. 7 major airlines operate out of HIA. Guests staying at a Hershey resort can arrange transportation pickup service for a nominal fee.
2 Harrisburg Transportation Center is the main train station in Harrisburg and is a short 15 minutes away from Hershey, Pennsylvania. You can take Amtrak from major cities such as Philadelphia and New York City to get to Hershey, Pennsylvania. Guests staying at a Hershey resort can arrange transportation pickup service for a nominal fee.
Greyhound Bus Lines drops off passengers at the Harrisburg Transportation Center. Guests staying at a Hershey resort can arrange transportation pickup service for a nominal fee.
Hershey is about 10 miles east of Harrisburg, Pa. From Harrisburg, travel East on PA-322. Alternatively, from I-81, take exit 77 and travel South on PA-39.
By shuttle busEdit
Many hotels provide shuttle bus services. Contact your hotel before you go to avoid surprises.
You may use your own car and park at any Hershey resort, park or restaurant.
Cabs are available to drive you to hotels, parks or restaurants.
- 1 Milton Hershey School, ☏ . Milton Hershey gave his whole fortune to this school after his wife Catherine died in 1918. Mr. Hershey and his wife could not have children, so they wanted to build a school for orphan boys; Hershey Industrial School. The school was then built in 1909. Its mission was to nurture and educate children with social and financial needs to lead fulfilling and productive lives. The school is a cost-free, private, coeducational home and school for children of low income, limited, or social need. It offers a positive, structured home life year around, ranging from Pre Kindergarten to 12th grade education. The campus has 1,364 students from Pre-K to 12th grade, 660 are male, and 704 are female. 47% of the students are Caucasian, 47% being African American, 11% Hispanic, 1% Asian, and 9% being Native American or other. The school provides housing, which includes all meals, uniformed and leisure clothing, free educations, and leisure activities, including varsity sports, intramurals, and clubs. At the end, or term of each students schooling, trade, military, or college is partially paid for with the Continuing Education Scholarship. Each student must meet certain standards to receive this scholarship. He dedicated his entire fortune to these students at the Milton Hershey School, and when you buy a Hershey product, you are contributing to the bettering of each one of these less fortunate student
- 2 Hershey Theatre, 15 E. Caracas Ave, 17033, ☏ . Opened in 1933, Hershey Theatre often hosts off-Broadway shows, concerts, and other entertainment. Prices Vary.
- 1 Hersheypark (Hershey Park), 100 W. Hersheypark Dr, toll-free: . Hours varies depending up on season. An amusement park with many rides, games, shops, food stands, and shows. Fun for all ages. ~$60.
- 2 Hershey's Chocolate World, 251 Park Blvd, ☏ . Great for children. A free tour experience shows the workings of how cocoa beans become Hershey's chocolate. The tour ends with a free sample. Other attractions available at Hershey's chocolate world include a "factory works" experience, a Trolley tour of the town, a food court, a 3D show, and shops with souvenirs and plenty of Hershey's products. price varies.
- 3 Zoo America, 30 Park Ave, ☏ . A wildlife zoo open year round. ~$9.
- 4 The Hershey Story, 111 W Chocolate Ave, ☏ . 10AM - 5PM most days. A museum about Milton S. Hershey. ~ $10.
- 5 Giant Center, 550 W. Hersheypark Dr, ☏ . Holds events such as Hershey Bears Ice Hockey, high school graduations, high school sporting events, cheerleading competitions, and concerts. prices vary.
- 6 Hershey Country Club, 1000 E. Derry Rd, ☏ . Includes golf, tennis, swimming and other fun family activities in a beautiful scenery. Also provides fine dining for an affordable cost. prices vary.
- 7 Cocoa Castle, 605 Cocoa Ave. A large wooden jungle gym built for children to run around and play. Located off of main strip in Hershey, near public library.
- 8 Hershey Public Pool, 605 Cocoa Ave, ☏ . A public pool, portions open year round. Bring your own towel. ~$9.
- 9 Indian Echo Caverns, 368 Middletown Rd, 17036, ☏ . A 45 min tour of the Caverns. Temperature in the caverns is a constant 52 degrees F, bring a jacket even in summer. ~$13.
- 10 Hershey Gardens, 170 Hotel Road, 17033, ☏ . 23 acres of seasonal displays, theme gardens, childrens gardens and the outdoor Butterfly House. ~$10.
- 11 Hershey Public Library, 701 Cocoa Ave, 17033, ☏ .
- Antique Auto Museum at Hershey, 161 Museum Dr., 17033 (Just off PA-39, north of Hershey), ☏ . 9AM-5PM. A museum of Antique and Classic Cars. ~$10.
- Hershey's Chocolate World, 251 Park Blvd, ☏ . Great for children. A free tour experience shows the workings of how cocoa beans become Hershey's chocolate. The tour ends with a free sample. Other attractions available at Hershey's chocolate world include a "factory works" experience, a Trolley tour of the town, a food court, a 3D show, and shops with souvenirs and plenty of Hershey's products. price varies.
- The Jeweler at the Hotel Hershey Located at the Hotel Hershey. Features jewelry, watches and gifts from over 18 different jewelry lines in stock.
- Amish Country Perfect for finding rare and special antiques. See Lancaster (Pennsylvania).
- 1 Tanger Outlets, 46 Outlet Square (Along PA-743, just east of Hershey Park.), ☏ . About 60 various Outlet stores.
- Cocoa Grill. Small diner located on Hershey Park Drive.
- What If Cafe.
- Circular Dining Room Located at The Hotel Hershey. Famous for its elegant dining experience. Contemporary American cuisine. Dress Code is business casual. No jeans or sneakers allowed. Sport Coats required for men.
- The Fountain Cafe Located at The Hotel Hershey. Features outdoor dining when weather permits. Features contemporary American cuisine. Dress code is casual.
- Iberian Lounge Located at The Hotel Hershey. Reminiscent of the exclusive men's lounge it once was. Great for nightly entertainment. Light fare menu.Dress Code is Resort Casual.
- The Cocoa Beanery Located at Hershey Lodge. Specialty coffee, smooth espresso, or HERSHEY'S Hot Chocolate to go. Freshly baked pastries. A selection of gourmet teas, decanter vinegars, and unique gift baskets are also available.
- Club House Cafe and Beanery Located at The Hotel Hershey. Enjoy light fare menu or drinks poolside. Only open seasonally.
- The Bears Den Located at Hershey Lodge. A sports themed restaurant with 28 TVs so you can watch any possible sports game on at the time you are dining. Features appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, and desserts. Dress Code is casual.
- The Forebay Located at Hershey Lodge. Casual and cozy atmosphere offering breakfast foods as well as steak, seafood and pasta. Dress Code is resort casual.
- Hershey Grill Located at Hershey Lodge. Contemporary feel featuring seafood, steak, and pasta. Children's menu is available. Extensive wine list. Dress Code is resort casual.
- Fire & Grain, Located at Hershey Lodge. Breakfast and Dinner only. Traditional comfort foods with a new flair. Features a full-service bar. Dress Code is resort casual.
- Ripples Located at Hershey Lodge. Deli sandwiches, pizza, ice cream, drinks located poolside. Only open seasonally.
- Hershey Grill Has an extensive wine list.
- The Bears Den Features a full bar.
- Iberian Lounge Premium Spirits.
- Tröegs Brewery Craft Brewery with an upscale snack bar.
- 1 Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey, 749 E. Chocolate Ave, ☏ , fax: . Discover spacious accommodations, an indoor pool and complimentary hot breakfast, an extended-stay suites hotel.
- 2 The Hotel Hershey, 100 Hotel Rd, ☏ , fax: . There are 4 different restaurants to eat in within the hotel. Features The Chocolate Spa, a spa with chocolate themed treatment names to relax you after a long day at the park. There is also a three hole practice golf course. Fitness center, pools, sports and recreation available. Cocoa Kids club available for children.
- 3 Hershey Lodge. West Chocolate Av. at University Dr., 717-533-3311. A resort that caters to the kids. Kids have their own check in desk and Hershey characters often make appearances. Four restaurants and three other food related options for those not wanting to have a sit-down restaurant experience. Guests can use the spa at The Hotel Hershey.
- Best Western Inn-Hershey (Route 422 & Sipe Avenue), ☏ , fax: .
- SpringHill Suites Hershey, 115 Museum Dr, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 749 East Chocolate Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Rodeway Inn & SuitesRodeway Inn & Suites, 43 W. Areba Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express – Hershey (Hershey, PA Hotel), 610 Walton Avenue Hummelstown, ☏ .
- Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg/Hershey (Hershey, PA Hotel), 473 Eisenhower Blvd, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn, 1200 Mae St, ☏ .
- Hersheypark Camping Resort, 1200 Sweet St. Hummelstown, PA 17036, ☏ . A Campground equipped for campers sleeping in cabins, tents, or RVs. The Campground features swimming pools, a gym, horseshoes, arts and crafts,basketball and volleyball courts and a gift shop. Bathrooms and showers are available. Open year round. ~$50.
If you have an Emergency, call 911.
Nearby destinations suitable for day trips include:
- Gettysburg — Explore Civil War country.
- Harrisburg — Explore the Capital of Pennsylvania.
- Lancaster (Pennsylvania) — Explore Amish country.
- York (Pennsylvania) — Explore Central PA country.
|Routes through Hershey|
|Harrisburg ← Hummelstown ←||W E||→ Honey Brook → Chester|
|END ←||W E||→ Lebanon → Reading|