The town is often known as just Wycombe. Once known as 'the furniture capital of England', furniture making played an extensive role in the towns industrial heritage. The town's market in High Street dates back to the Middle Ages.
Each May the town has an unusual ceremony known as Mayor Making. A tradition dating back to 1678, the town holds a public weighing of the Mayor, the intention being to see if they have put on weight i.e. to see if they are getting fat at rate payers' expense. In the interests of confidentiality the actual weight is not revealed but the gain or loss of weight is and is announced by the town crier.
The A404 main road connects the town to the M4 (London-Reading-Bristol-Swansea) motorway (to the S), close to Maidenhead.
- 1 Railway station, Amersham Hill, High Wycombe, HP13 6NN. Chiltern Railways manage the station and run services. On the line from Birmingham to London Marylebone and served by both local and fast trains. There are usually 3 trains an hour between High Wycombe and London Marylebone and 1 train an hour between High Wycombe and Birmingham. Check timetables as trains do not run overnight.
Wycombe is also served by buses to and from many of the nearby towns and villages, though due to the sheer number of traffic lights installed along London Road and around the entrance to the bus station it's generally quicker to walk.
The town boasts a spacious park and ride facility, see National Park and Ride Directory which stops running at 7PM, rendering it useless to anyone wanting to have dinner, visit the cinema or go late-night shopping. At 6:30PM, however, the Eden Car Park changes its pricing plan to £1.50 for the rest of the evening.
Whilst the town does have an airfield Booker Airfield, this is a private airfield for light aircraft.
Buses: Buckinghamshire County Council have a guide to bus services in the High Wycombe area.
Walking and cycling: The town centre is largely pedestrianised.
Car: Good links with the M40 and M4.
- 1 [dead link] Wycombe Museum, Priory Ave, High Wycombe HP13 6PX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 2 Apr-30 Oct: M-Th 10AM-5PM, F 10AM-4:30PM, Sa 11AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM, last Th of month 10AM-9:30PM; 31 Oct – 1 Apr: M-Th 10AM-4:30PM, F 10AM-4PM, Sa 11AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM, last Th month 10AM-9:30PM. Free admission.
- 2 Hughenden Manor, Valley Rd, High Wycombe HP14 4LA (3 miles N of High Wycombe), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 The Rye (off London Road). This extensive park is bordered by two rivers; the Wye and The Dyke; and features two attractive playgrounds and free-to-use tennis courts.
- 4 Hellfire Caves, Church Ln, West Wycombe HP14 3AH, ☏ . Adults £7.50; Children £6.
- 5 West Wycombe Park, Village and Hill, West Wycombe, HP14 3AJ (3 miles west of High Wycombe), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 Bekonscot Model Village & Railway, Warwick Rd, Beaconsfield HP9 2PL (5½ miles E of High Wycombe), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10AM-5:30PM. Adults £10, Children £6.
The Cressex area of High Wycombe (near the main M40 junction) offers a few options close to the Holiday Inn hotel, a badminton centre, and Handycross sports centre (http://www.wll.co.uk) which has many facilities including a Gym and Swimming pool.
- 1 Odds Farm Park, Wooburn Common, High Wycombe HP10 0LX (4 miles from J2 of the M40), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily from 10AM. Meet new babies, enjoy Animal Activities/Demonstrations and discover the NEW Giant Indoor Playbarn!
- 2 Hollywood Bowl (Ten-pin Bowling), 9 Denmark St, Eden Centre, High Wycombe HP11 2DB, ☏ (premium). Daily 9AM-late. Adults £5.99/game; Under 16's £4.99/game.
- 3 Swan Theatre, St Mary St, High Wycombe HP11 2XE, ☏ .
- Watch football at Wycombe Wanderers. They were relegated in 2021 and now play soccer in League One, the game's third tier. Their home ground Adams Park (capacity 9400) is two miles west of High Wycombe town centre.
- 4 Badminton Wycombe, Crest Rd, High Wycombe HP11 1UA, ☏ . M-F 9AM-11PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 9AM-11PM.
- 5 Wycombe Leisure Centre, Handy Cross, High Wycombe HP11 1UP, ☏ . M-F 6AM-11PM, Sa Su 7AM-8PM. Gym, pools, studios, group cycling studio, sports hall, squash courts, climbing wall, bowls hall, café
- 6 Cineworld, Denmark St, Eden, High Wycombe HP11 2DB, ☏ (premium).
- 7 Empire (Cinema), Crest Rd, High Wycombe HP11 1UA.
- 1 [formerly dead link] High Wycombe Market, High St, High Wycombe, HP11 2BN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu F 8AM-4PM, Sa 8AM-5PM.
- 2 Eden Shopping Centre. The town centre has undergone a major refurbishment project and now has one of the largest shopping centres in the country with over 100 shops, including a large House of Fraser and Marks and Spencer. It is probably also the coldest as it has no roof in some areas, so wrap up warm. The way the building was built it acts as a wind tunnel.
- 3 Chiltern Shopping Centre, Frogmoor, High Wycombe HP13 5ES.
- 4 Desborough Road (Shopping Area), Desborough Rd, High Wycombe, HP11 2QA.
- 5 John Lewis (Department Store), Holmers Farm Way, Cressex Centre, High Wycombe HP12 4NW, ☏ . M-F 10AM-8PM, Sa 9AM-7PM, Su 11AM-5PM. Near the M40. The store does not stock clothing - only household goods and furnishings.
There are many places to eat in the town centre, but it can be worth visiting some of the country pubs in the surrounding villages which often offer excellent food.
- 1 Eat Thai (Restauant), 14-15 Easton St, High Wycombe HP11 1NT, ☏ . Daily noon-3PM & 6PM-11PM.
- 2 Bombay Palace (Indian Restaurant), 6 Crendon St, High Wycombe HP13 6LW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th noon-2:30PM & 6PM-11:30PM, F Sa noon-2:30PM & 6PM-midnight, Su noon-2:30PM.
- 3 The Works (Restaurant), 11 High St, High Wycombe HP11 2AZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 9AM-10PM, F Sa 9AM-11PM, Su 10AM-10PM.
- 4 Noodle Nation, 5 Crown Lane, High Wycombe HP11 2HF, ☏ . M-W 11:30AM-9PM, Th 11:30AM-9:30PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM, Su 11:30AM-9:30PM.
- 5 [formerly dead link] Bill's (Restaurant), 22 Newlands Meadow, Eden Centre, High Wycombe HP11 2BZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 8AM-11PM, Su & Bank Holidays 9AM-10:30PM.
Someone says: "There are no pubs in High Wycombe. There are some restaurants that have an alcohol licence, but none of any note." It's not true! In High Wycombe is not a lot of pubs, but they are. Although alcohol and beer selection is not great, there is always to choose. In restaurants the choice really is not great, especially beer.
There is a pub called The Antelope, which although rough in appearance serves only drink and is popular every night of the week. The prices are inexpensive but the place could be described as "the worst pub in the world".
- 1 [dead link] Mad Squirrel (Bar & Restaurant), 4-5 Church St,High Wycombe HP11 2DE, ☏ . Summer: M-Th 11AM-9:30PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-9PM; Winter: M-Th 11AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-9PM.
- 2 The Sausage Tree (Pub & Restaurant), Saffron Rd, High Wycombe HP13 6AB, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-W noon-3PM & 5PM-11PM, Th noon-3PM & 5PM-midnight, F noon-midnight, Sa 3PM-midnight, Su noon-5PM.
- 3 The Bootlegger (Pub & Restaurant), 3 Amersham Hill, High Wycombe HP13 6NQ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th noon-midnight, F Sa noon-1AM, Su noon-11PM.
- 4 The General Havelock (Pub & Food), 114 Kingsmead Rd, Wycombe Marsh HP11 1HZ (2 miles E of High Wycombe), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th noon-3PM & 5PM-11PM, F Sa noon-11PM, Su noon-10:30PM.
- 5 The Falcon, 9 Cornmarket, High Wycombe HP11 2AX, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-midnight, F Sa 8AM-1AM, Su 8AM-midnight.
- 1 Ambassador Court Hotel, 145-147 West Wycombe Rd, High Wycombe HP12 3AB, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 2 Holiday Inn, M40, Jct. 4 Handy Cross, High Wycombe, HP11 1TL, ☏ (premium). Check-in: noon, check-out: 2PM.
- 3 Squirrel House (B&B), 129 New Rd, Booker, High Wycombe HP12 4RH, ☏ . On-site parking Single occupancy £55/night; double occupancy £65.
- 4 [dead link] Wendover Arms (Hotel), Desborough Ave, High Wycombe HP11 2SU, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Single £37; double/twin £57.
- 5 Abbey Lodge Hotel, 17 Priory Rd, High Wycombe HP13 6SL, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Free car park. Free Wi-Fi from £50.
- 6 The Mash Inn, Horseshoe Rd, Bennett End, Radnage HP14 4EB, ☏ . Excellent restaurant with six rooms in Chilterns countryside. No children under 16. B&B double £120.
- 1 Post Office, 3 Castle St, High Wycombe HP13 6RZ. M-Sa 8:30AM-7PM.
|Routes through High Wycombe|
|Oxford ← Thame ←||NW SE||→ Uxbridge → London|
|Oxford ←||W E||→ Follows to Uxbridge|