Thame is a small town lying on the River Thame. Habitation at the site dated back to Anglo-Saxon times and there have been finds of jewellery & pottery.
In 1940 a couple walking their dog inadvertently discovered "the Thame Hoard" (they were looking for a stone to throw for their dog). Maybe not the largest "Hoard" found in the UK, it comprised of five medieval gold rings and ten silver groats (c.1351 – c.1457) and can be seen today in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.
Good link to the M40 motorway, 6 miles on A418 to the W and A418 to Aylesbury 10 miles E.
- The National Byway cycle route passes 2½ miles to the N of the town.
- 2 National Cycle Route 57. Sustrans has converted an old rail bed for the Phoenix Trail Cycle Route (part of National Cycle Route 57). Passes through the town. Runs Farmington, Gloucestershire near Northleach to Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire.
- Oxfordshire Way. Runs 2½ miles (4 km) W of the town. Long distance footpath (68 miles, 110 km) running Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire to Henley-on-Thames. The footpath connects with the Heart of England Way and the Thames Path. Zoomable online maps available at Long Distance Walking Association
The town is small enough to see on foot.
- 1 Long Crendon Courthouse, Long Crendon, HP18 9AN (3 miles (4.5 km) north of Thame), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 St Mary's Church, Church Rd, Thame OX9 3AJ.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Rycote Chapel, Rycote Lane, Thame OX9 2PE (3 miles SW of Thame). Apr-Sept: F-Su 2PM-6PM. Adults £5; concessions £2.50.
- 4 Thame Museum, 79 High St, Thame OX9 3AE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu W Sa 10AM-4PM; Su noon-4PM. Free.
- 5 Waterperry Gardens, Waterperry. Gardens & Garden Shop: March–October 10AM–5:30PM, and November–February 10AM–5:PM. A lovely wander through manicured gardens. Adults £4.95 (March–October), £3.50 (November–February).
- 1 Thame Farmers Market (Weekly Livestock Market), North St, Thame OX9 3FP, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. F gates open 7AM, auctions start 10:30AM. Whilst targeted at local farmers and visitors will be unlikely to be wanting to purchase livestock, it can be interesting to watch a rural agricultural livestock auction.
- Thame Carnival. Annual, early summer. Parade and all sorts of fun competitions, etc.
- 2 Tiggywinkles (Wildlife Hospital/Rescue Visitors Centre), Aston Rd Haddenham HP17 8AF (3½ miles E of Thame), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Easter Weekend-end of Sept: daily 10AM-4PM; Oct-Easter: M-F 10AM-4PM. Adult £5.10; children £3.20; under 4 and over 65 - free.
- 3 Wizz Kids (Children's Indoor Activity Centre), 2-6 Jefferson Way, Thame OX9 3SZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 9:30AM-6PM; Sa Su 10AM-6PM.
- 4 [dead link] Midsomer Murders Walking Tours, leave from Thame Museum, 79 High St, Thame OX9 3AE. On set days, W tours leave 11AM, Sa tours leave 2:30PM. The town was used extensively for location filming for the UK TV detective series Midsomer Murders. Many Thame landmarks feature in the series.
- 5 Phoenix Trail (Cycle Path). Between Thame & Princes Risborough, 5 miles (8 km). Being on a dismantled railway, not too many hills!
- 1 Prezzo (Italian Restaurant & Take-away), 12a Butter Market, Thame OX9 3EW, ☏ . Su-Th 11:30AM-10:30PM; F Sa 11:30AM-11PM. Wi-Fi
- 2 [dead link] Dewani Shah's (Indian Restaurant & Take-away), 8 Swan Walk, Thame OX9 3HN (Behind Swan Hotel), ☏ . M W Th 5PM-10:30PM; F Sa 5PM-11PM.
- 3 [dead link] House of Spice (Indian Restaurant), 7 Upper High St, Thame OX9 3ER, ☏ .
- 4 Harvest Moon (Chinese Restaurant), 1 Pump Lane, Thame OX9 3BT, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th noon-2PM, 5:45PM-10:30PM; F Sa noon-2PM, 5:45PM-11:15PM; Su 12:30PM-9PM.
- What's Cooking, 6-8 Cornmarket, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 7:30AM-5PM. Stylish cafe and deli, serving great coffee, brunch beautiful salads, homemade cakes, etc.
Thame has a large number of pubs for a small town.
- 1 The Rising Sun (Pub & Thai Restaurant), High St Thame OX9 2BZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub: M-Th 11:30AM-3PM, 5PM-11:30PM; F Sa 11:30AM-1AM; Su 11:30AM-11PM. Pad Thai: M-Sa noon-2:30PM, 6PM-10:20PM; Su noon-2:30PM, 6PM-10PM.
- 2 The James Figg (formerly Abingdon Arms) (Pub & Food), 21 Cornmarket, Thame OX9 2BL, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 11AM-11PM; F Sa 11AM-midnight; Su noon-10:30PM.
- 3 The Black Horse (Pub & Food), 11 Cornmarket, Thame OX9 2BL, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bar: M 11:30AM-11PM, Tu 10AM-11PM, W Th 11:20AM-11PM, F 11:30AM-2AM, Sa 10AM-2AM, Su 11:30AM-11PM. Food: Tu-Sa noon-2:30PM; Su noon-4PM.
- 4 The Birdcage (Pub & Food), 4 Cornmarket, Thame OX9 3DX, ☏ . Bar: M-Th 9AM-11PM; F Sa 9AM-midnight; Su 9AM-10:30PM. Food: daily 9AM-11PM.
- 5 Treacles Tea Rooms, 12 High St, Thame OX9 2BZ, ☏ . M-F 8AM-5PM; Sa 8AM-5:30PM; Su 10AM-4:30PM.
- 1 Spread Eagle Hotel, 16/17 Commarket, Thame OX9 2BW, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Doubles £115+.
- 2 Travelodge, A418 Long Crendon Rd, Thame OX9 3SB, ☏ (premium). Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. From £45.
- 3 Field House (B&B), 5 Fish Ponds Lane, Thame OX9 2BA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 4PM-9PM. Single occupancy from £75/night; Double occupancy from £95/night.
- 4 [dead link] The Swan Hotel, Upper High St, Thame OX9 3ER, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 Post Office, 3 High St, Thame OX9 2BU. M-Sa 6AM-6:30PM; Su 7AM-4PM.
|Routes through Thame|
|Birmingham ← Oxford ←||NW SE||→ High Wycombe → London|