It was a town located in Wakayama prefecture. On May 1, 2005 Hongū, along with the village of Ryūjin, from Hidaka District, the town of Nakahechi, and the village of Ōtō, both from Nishimuro District, was merged into the expanded city of Tanabe.
Kumano Hongu Taisha Shrine is the main destination of this area. It is one of the Kumano Sanzan and is a holy place that has been visited by many people since the Heian period.
90 minutes by bus from Shingu Station.
- 1 Fujiya Ryokan (川湯温泉 冨士屋), ☏ .
- 2 [dead link] Ashita no Mori (ペンション あしたの森), ☏ .
- 3 Sansuikan Kawayu Midoriya (山水館 川湯みどりや), ☏ .
- 4 [dead link] Sansuikan Kawayu Matsuya (山水館 川湯まつや), ☏ .
- 5 Sansuikan Kawayu Kinokuni (山水館 川湯きのくに), ☏ .
- 6 Kameya Ryokan (亀屋旅館), ☏ .
Yunomine Onsen was discovered about 1,800 years ago, and it is thought to be one of the oldest hot springs in Japan.
- 7 Ryokan Adumaya-so (旅館あづまや), 122 Yunomine Hongu-chō, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 8 Ryokan Yunomine-so (湯の峰荘), 437 Shimoyukawa Hongu-chō, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 9 Ryokan Yoshinoya (よしのや旅館), 359 Yunomine, Hongu-chō, ☏ .