Hudson is a city in the St. Croix Valley of northwestern Wisconsin. It sits along the St. Croix River, which is also the Minnesota border, and is adjacent to and sometimes considered a part of that state's Twin Cities region.
Hudson, the county seat of St. Croix County, is a scenic river town. The historic downtown with its small boutiques, bars, and restaurants, stretches along the east bank of the St. Croix river, while more recent city development has taken place above the river bluffs, where big-box retailers and fast-food joints have set up shop.
Interstate 94 runs through Hudson, south of downtown. There is a pedestrian/bike path on the I-94 St. Croix River Bridge, making it possible to walk or bike from Lakeland, Minnesota. The path leads directly to 2nd Street on the Wisconsin side.
The historic business district along 2nd Street is compact and walkable, making it easy to see on foot. Otherwise, as with most smaller towns and cities, there is no public transit so a car is necessary.
Third street features many blocks of well-preserved Victorian homes.
- 1 [dead link] Octagon House (John S. Moffat House), 1004 3rd St (at Myrtle), ☏ . May-Aug: W-Sa noon-4:30PM, Su 2PM-4:30PM; Sep-Oct and late Nov-mid Dec: Sa noon-4:30PM, Su 2PM-4:30PM. An eight-sided house from the 19th century, complete with Victorian-era furnishings. The St. Croix County Historical Society maintains the house and keeps it open for tours. Adults $7, students (13-18) $3, children (6-12) $2, children 5 and under free.
- 1 The Agave Kitchen, 501 2nd St (at Walnut), ☏ . 10:30AM-2AM daily. Mexican and American cuisine.
- 2 Bricks Neapolitan Pizza, 407 2nd St (at Commercial), ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Sa 11AM-10PM. Neapolitan-style pizza cooked in a wood-burning oven.
- 3 [dead link] The Winzer Stube, 516 2nd St (between Walnut and Locust), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-8PM. German cuisine.
- 1 Comfort Suites, 2620 Center Dr (east of Carmichael Rd, I-94 exit 2), ☏ , fax: . Free WiFi, refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave in all rooms. Business center, fitness center, indoor heated pool, laundry service, free newspaper, and free breakfast available. $100+.
- 2 Fairfield Inn, 2400 Center Dr (between Gateway Blvd and Carmichael Rd, I-94 exit 2), ☏ , fax: . Free WiFi and coffee maker in all rooms. Indoor pool and free breakfast available. $104+.
- 3 Holiday Inn Express, 1200 Gateway Blvd (near Carmichael Rd and Center Dr, I-94 exit 2), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Free WiFi and wired internet in all rooms. Fitness center, indoor pool, self-service laundry, business center, and free breakfast available. $110+.
- 4 Quality Inn, 811 Dominion Dr (south of Crest View Dr), ☏ , fax: . Free wired high speed internet, refrigerator and coffee maker in all rooms. Indoor heated pool, free continental breakfast available. $65+.
- 5 Regency Inn, 734 Hwy 12 (I-94 exit 4), ☏ . Free WiFi and mini-fridge in all rooms. Free coffee available. $60+.
- 6 Royal Inn, 1509 Coulee Rd (between 15th and 16th Sts), ☏ . Free WiFi, microwave and mini-fridge in all rooms. $55+.
- 7 Super 8, 808 Dominion Dr (at Crest View Dr), ☏ , fax: . Free WiFi, indoor heated pool and hot tub. $67+.