Superior is in Wisconsin and is a port of Lake Superior.
Superior is a city of 27,368 on the Western tip of Lake Superior, across Superior Bay from Duluth. The two cities make up Lake Superior's "Twin Ports." Shipping, education, oil refining, tourism, railroads, and forestry are the primary economic activities in Superior.
Duluth International Airport is about 30 minutes away, and provides service to and from many Midwest cities and Las Vegas. The Richard I. Bong Airport in Superior can accommodate small private planes, and Duluth's Sky Harbor will let you land your seaplane.
Superior is accessible via US 53 and Wisconsin 35 from northwestern Wisconsin, US 2 from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and Interstate 535 from Duluth, Minnesota.
Greyhound Lines serves the Twin Ports from its depot in West Duluth.
Car rentals are available in Superior from Avis (218-727-7233) and Enterprise (715-395-9900). The Duluth Transit Authority (218-722-7283) provides bus service throughout the Twin Ports area. Courtesy Cab (218-590-9222) and Badger Taxi (218-393-5555) offer transportation on demand 24 hours a day.
Primary roads in Superior include East Second St., entering as US 2/53 from the East End of town, Belknap St., routing US 2 from the harbor to downtown, and Tower Ave. (WI 35), running the length of the downtown business district and into South Superior.
The Richard I. Bong Museum, dedicated to telling the story of America's 'Ace of Aces' during World War II. Junction of US 2 & 53 near Barker's Island.
University of Wisconsin-Superior, home to 2000+ students and the Yellowjacket hockey and basketball teams. Belknap St & Catlin Avenue.
Pattison State Park, located 20 minutes south of town on WI 35. Big Manitou Falls, located there, is the largest waterfall in Wisconsin.
Wisconsin Point recreation area, located east of town off East Second St. Birdwatching, fishing, swimming, and hiking are enjoyed there by locals and tourists.
Fairlawn Mansion located at 9th Ave. East & East Second Street. Lumberman Martin Pattison built this mansion during Superior's early years, and it has been restored to its former glory. Also home to the Douglas County Historical Society.
The Vista Fleet offers tours of the Duluth-Superior harbor, and boards at Barker's Island as well as in Duluth's Canal Park.
Cheer on the UW-Superior Yellowjacket hockey team or the Superior Senior High School Spartans at Wessman Arena (N. 28th St. & Catlin Ave.)
Enjoy the Superior Municipal Forest's trails. The trailhead is located off N. 28th St. & Wyoming Ave. in the city's Billings Park neighborhood.
Catch a movie at the Mariner Mall, located on N. 28th St. & Hill Ave.
Take in live music at one of the local taverns along Tower Ave. in Superior's downtown area. Popular choices include Norm's Beer & Brats, Shooters Saloon, and Thirsty's.
VIP Italian Pizza, Sammy's Pizza, and Shamrock Pizza are three pizzerias that locals rightly rave about. Nikos offers an authentic Greek gyro experience. Elbo Room serves family style Italian dishes. The Anchor Bar & Grill is famous for their burgers and homemade french fries. China Inn of Superior features Szechuan delights. Eddie's World Famous Ribs is hidden in the far eastern end of town, but worth the trip. And Bridgeman's or Culver's will be happy to top any of your meals off with a tasty ice cream dessert.
- [dead link] The Anchor Bar, 413 Tower Ave. The greatest burgers at the greatest tavern on Lake Superior. Sarcastic waitresses, the "Library Booth," the Titanic life preserver, the dirt cheap Anchor Ale. The reason they invented bars.
- TJ's Champion's Lounge is located on Belknap Street near the University of Wisconsin-Superior, and is a popular spot with both the college crowd and local sports fans. Outdoor seating area in nice weather.
- Frankie's Tavern on N. 13th St. & Tower Avenue downtown features karaoke seven days a week, and also has an extensive collection of leather goods for sale.
- The Androy Hotel in downtown is something of an anachronism. It towers over Tower Avenue, features a full service restaurant and bar directly off the once-ornate lobby, and gives guests a taste of what luxury hotels were like in the early- and mid- 20th century. The Androy is convenient to the Downtown entertainment and shopping district.
- Holiday Inn Express, 303 Second Ave. East. Is a typical franchise hotel, with harbor views and an enclosed swimming pool. It is convenient to Barker's Island, University of Wisconsin-Superior, and Fairlawn Mansion.
- Best Western Bridgeview Inn is located at the foot of the John Blatnik bridge, and is convenient to Duluth and Downtown Superior.
- Super 8 Motel is located on the eastern edge of Superior at 4901 East Second St. It is convenient to Wisconsin Point's beaches and natural areas, the Tri-County recreational corridor, and Douglas County.
- Barker's Island Inn is located on Barker's Island, off US 53, and features a nearby marina and swimming beach.
Common sense rules about leaving valuables out-of-sight while your vehicle is unattended will help provide for a happier trip. Violent crime is extremely rare, but sometimes occurs in and around the city's many taverns. Keep in mind that the posted speed limits are strictly enforced, especially on the city's viaducts on Belknap and N. 21st streets. Winter driving can be hazardous at times due to snowstorms, and strong northeasterly winds are common in the spring months, which can make travelling the bridges to Duluth an adventure. Superior has removed crossing alerts at many of its railroad crossings in town (and there are many of them!), so use caution.
KDAL 610 AM is an authority on local news and weather cancellations in town. KUWS 91.3 FM is the local university NPR outlet. WDIO-TV Channel 10 provides up-to-date news and weather, and ABC programming.
|Routes through Superior|
|Bemidji ← Duluth ←||W E||→ Ashland → Ironwood|
|International Falls ← Duluth ←||N S||→ Spooner → Eau Claire|
|END ←||W E||→ Cornucopia → Ashland|
|END ←||N S||→ St. Croix Falls → Hudson|