Icod de los Vinos (sometimes abbreviated to Icod on road signs) is in northwest Tenerife, Canary Islands. Icod de los Vinos is known for its vineyards, banana plantations, and its magnificent drago tree.
Icod de los Vinos was established in 1501 and, was named for its vineyards: Icod = the indigenous Guanche kingdom of Icode, de los Vinos = 'of the wines'. Most visitors come here to visit the drago tree.
- 1 Información Turistica (Tourist Information), C/ San Sebastián, 6, ☏ . M-F 09:00-19:00.
- 1 Estación de Autobuses (Estación de Guaguas / Bus Station), Avda Francisco Miranda, s/n. Information centre: M-F 08:10-12:00 15:00-18:30, Sa Su and holidays 06:00-09:15 13:30-15:30. From Puerto de la Cruz, Titsa bus 354 runs daily 06:20-20:30 (€3.60, 45 min, leaves every ½ hr). From Costa Adeje and Las Americas, bus 460 operates 05:45-20:00 (€6.05, 2 hrs, leaves every 2 hrs). Bus 363 connects the town with Garachico (€1.45, 11 min, leaves every 30-60 min).
The TF-5 from Puerto de la Cruz terminates here, and TF-42 continues along the coast to Garachico and Buenavista del Norte. TF-82 connects Icod de los Vinos with Costa Adeje and Las Americas in the south. A clearly-signed underground 2 car park (paid) is located close to the main sights, with convenient public toilets (free). Free parking is available at the underground 3 car park of the Centro Comercial La Magalona, which also houses the Museo Guanche (lots of one-way streets here, best option is to enter the eastern end of Calle Pepe Floro from Calle Francisco Miranda).
Except for the Cueva del Viento and the beach, the main sights are easily accessible by foot.
A 2 Radio Taxi stand (Rambla Perez del Cristo 4, tel. +34 922 121 600) is around the corner from the main church.
- 1 Parque del Drago (Drago Milenario / Drago Tree Park). Daily 09:00-18:00. The millenary tree that symbolizes the city, the tree is not actually a thousand years old but estimated to be more likely 600-800 years. With a height of 18 m and a trunk diameter of about 10 m, it is the largest and oldest known drago tree of its species in the world. In 2000 a botanic garden was developed around the tree to protect it from pollution and vandalism; the garden has a number of specimens of typical Canarian flora. The 4 park entrance is around the corner on Calle del Barranco. Travellers who wish to avoid the admission fee can admire the tree from the nearby 5 village square which overlooks the garden. €5.
- 2 Iglesia de San Marcos (Church of St. Mark), Plaza de San Marcos, s/n. Irregular hrs. Built in the early 16th century on the site of an earlier 15th-century chapel, the church is the oldest in town and is notable for its Renaissance portal. Also noteworthy are the carved wooden ceiling and the silver-embossed Baroque altar.
- 3 Wind Cave (Cueva del Viento), C/ Los Piquetes, 51 (Santa Barbara), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa 09:00-16:00. The largest lava tube cave in Europe and the fifth-largest in the world. It can be visited only in small guided tours. Long trousers and good boots are required, and prior booking is essential. Tickets must be purchased online in advance, valid only for the specified tour, and you must show ID along with your ticket. Considered one of the top attractions on Tenerife, but somewhat difficult to reach. Adult €20, child 5-12 €8.50.
- 4 ARTlandya, Camino el Moleiro 21, Santa Bárbara, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Doll museum in an estate with a tropical park built around old but stylishly renovated Canarian houses. There are exhibits with dolls and teddy bears of over 30 international artists. Guided tours also show how dolls are cast in porcelain. Tours in English, Spanish, and German. Adult €10, child €4.50, under 6 free.
- 5 Museo de Malvasia, Plaza de la Pila 5, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-18:00 daily. Museum of wine making, with opportunities to taste local wines in the museums garden.
- 6 Butterfly Park (Mariposario Del Drago), Avenida de Canarias s / n, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-18:00 daily. A small museum with live butterflies right next to the famous Drago Milenario tree. Quite expensive for what it's worth, but a good sheltered actvity for when it's raining. Adult €8.50, child €5.
- 1 Playa de San Marcos, Avenida Maritima, San Marcos (follow the Paseo las Américas down towards the water – if you're on foot, Camino de las Barandas is the safer and faster option). A rather quiet black sand beach with showers and rest rooms, frequented by locals and the few tourists that make their way down there. Unfortunately, all the little restaurants down at the beach were damaged by the 2018 winter storm and closed down (as of January 2019), but some options remain a bit higher up at the Avenida Maritima. Be aware that sunbathing is not really possible until the afternoon, as the steep cliffs surrounding the village of San Marcos block the sun in the morning. Free.
- 1 Restaurante Carmen, Avda de Canarias, 1, ☏ . An established restaurant serving typical Canarian fare. €13 set menu.
- 2 Restaurante Los Faroles, Ctra el Amparo, 77, ☏ . Offers typical Canarian specialities, such as rabbit in salmorejo, goat meat in sauce, and tasty sauces (mojos), accompanied by wrinkled potatoes (papas arrugadas). Also serves vegetarian and children's set menus. For dessert you can try a bienmesabe, a typical almond dessert.
- 3 Bar-restaurante "El Manantial", Carretera Santa Bárbara, ☏ . Local restaurant with indoor fountain and outdoor seating. Local and international cuisine. Not the most romantic place to have lunch, but great for families with kids.
Great wines are produced in Tenerife and Icod de los Vinos, especially white wines. Local productions are made with grape varieties listán blanco or listán tinto, and tintilla.
- 1 Hotel Emblemático San Marcos, C/ Hercules, 11, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00-17:00, check-out: 08:00-12:00. Located in an 18th-century manor, the hotel has a sun terrace, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. Doubles €95+, includes breakfast.
- 2 Hotel San Agustín, C/ San Agustín, 18, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00-22:00, check-out: 08:00-12:00. Has an onsite bar, non-smoking rooms, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. Doubles €80+.