Ilfracombe is a small town on the North Devon coast in the west of England. It has a beautiful harbour and some wonderful examples of Victorian architecture. Ilfracombe has become a culinary centre for the area with several excellent seafood restaurants, a buzzing cafe culture and Damien Hirsts' 10 The Quay restaurant. Ilfracombe has a vibrant, up and coming feel to it and is perfectly placed for a great family holiday.
Get in edit
By road edit
- Ilfracombe sits on the A361 road which is connected to the M5 Motorway near Tiverton. Ilfracombe is typically 2 hours drive from Bristol.
By coach edit
- The town is served by National Express coaches, including direct services to Bristol and London (via Heathrow Airport).
- Several holiday companies offer coach holidays in Ilfracombe.
By train edit
Get around edit
By bus edit
- Local buses connect Ilfracombe to the surrounding seaside resorts, including neighbouring Woolacombe, a large sandy beach popular with surfers.
- Frequent buses also connect Ilfracombe to nearby towns and villages, including Combe Martin, Braunton and Barnstaple: the largest town in the area.
- 1 Ilfracombe Aquarium, The Quay, EX34 9EQ, ☏ .
- 2 Ilfracombe Museum, Wilder Rd, EX34 8AF, ☏ . M-Sa: 10AM-5PM, Su: Closed.
- 3 Chambercombe Manor, ☏ . M-F: 11AM-4PM, Sa: Closed, Su: noon-4PM. A white-painted Norman manor house, apparently haunted.
- 4 Verity. The new giant art installation by Damien Hirst, situated on the end of the pier.
- 5 St. Nicholas's Chapel, Lantern Hill, EX34 9EQ. Chapel with lighthouse lantern.
- Take a day-trip to Swansea or Penarth (near Cardiff) on a paddle steamer – summer only.
- 1 Lundy Island. Take a trip to Lundy. See puffins and seals.
- Take a walk up Hillsborough or Capstone for superb views.
- Walk the coast path to Lee and Woolacombe and beyond
- 2 Landmark Theatre.
- 3 The Embassy Cinema, 134 High St, EX34 9EZ, ☏ .
- Enjoy the High Street with its' wide range of independent shops
- Espresso. For great seafood and meat.
- Gazpacho. For authentic Spanish food and fabulous tapas.
- 10 The Quay. For good food surrounded by Damien Hirst artwork and sometimes a chance to spot him.
- Grassroots. For great vegetarian delights.
- The Deli. For coffee, brunch and lunch.
- Maddys. Fish and chips.
- Harbour deli. Olives, paninis and coffee.
- Joe Deluccis. Great ice cream.
- For pub grub go down Fore Street. At the end before reaching the harbour the George & Dragon as well as the Prince of Wales serve food.
- Storm in a Teacup is a former rescue boat, turned into an offbeat cafe by Watermouth Harbour. It's open daily 09:30-17:00.
- Ilfracombe Carlton, Runnacleave Road, EX34 8AR, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 1 Royal Britannia Hotel, Broad St, The Harbour, EX34 9EE, ☏ .
A couple of B&Bs are located on St. Brannock's Road near the intersection with Bicclescombe Park Road. If you do not want to walk from here to the town centre, a bus stop is right at this intersection.
As of Sept 2023, Ilfracombe and its approach roads have 4G from EE, but next-to-no signal from other carriers. 5G has not reached this area.
Go next edit
- Passenger ferries to Lundy Island
- Exmoor National Park lies 4 miles to the east by road from Ilfracombe
- Dartmoor National Park is about 1 hour's drive to the south.