Irkutsk was founded in 1661 as a settlement for trading gold and furs. It was connected to Europe via a road constructed in 1760.
After the Decemberist Revolt of 1825, many Russian artists, officers, and nobles were sent into exile to Siberia for their part in the revolt against Tsar Nicholas I and in the late 1800s, 30% of the population of the city were exiles. Irkutsk became the major centre of intellectual and social life for these exiles, and much of the city's cultural heritage is a result of these exiles. Many of their wooden houses, adorned with ornate, hand-carved decorations, survive today in stark contrast with the surrounding Soviet apartment blocks. Around 1900, the city was nicknamed the "Paris of Siberia" due to its wide streets and ornate, continental architecture, but travellers today will find little resemblance with Paris.
During the civil war that broke out after the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917-1922, Irkutsk became the site of many furious, bloody clashes between the "Whites" and the "Reds" (aka Bolsheviks). A number of city landmarks remain from that era. In 1920, Kolchak, the once-feared commander of the largest contingent of anti-Bolshevik forces, was executed in Irkutsk, effectively destroying the anti-Bolshevik resistance.
Today, Irkutsk is the 6th largest city in Siberia, with a growing population of more than 590,000 people. It's home to several universities and a major branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, due to its proximity to Lake Baikal.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
In July, the average temperature is 18°C (64°F) with a bit of rain, but by January, the temperature plunges in typically Siberian fashion to -19°C (-2°F). Early September finds the local foliage at its finest.
- 1 International Airport Irkutsk (IKT IATA) (is 5km east of the city center.). Direct flights operate to/from Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Ulan Ude, Novosibirsk, Vladivostok, Yakutsk, and several other Russian cities. International flights operate to/from Ulaanbaatar, Osh, Seoul, Bangkok, Beijing, and Tashkent.
Buses, trams, and minibuses run frequently between the airport and Kirov Square (near the Angara Hotel) and other points in the historical center. A trip via public transport costs approximately 20 руб.
- 1 [dead link] Irkutsk-Passenger Railway Station (Иркутск-Пассажирский), Ul. Chelnokova, Tereshkovoi (Улицам Челнокова, Терешковой) (Minibuses: № 6, 16, 20, 72, 77, 80, 80к 116; Tram 1, 2, 4а;). Suburban lines to Bajkalsk, Bolshoy Lug, Voennyi Gorodok, Malta, Polovyna, Usolie Siberskoye, Cheremkhovo, Vydrino, Glubokaya, Zyma, Half, Kaya, Podkamennaya, Sludyanka.
Most travellers arrive in Irkutsk via the Trans-Siberian Railway. Irkutsk is about halfway between Moscow and the two eastern terminus cities, Vladivostok and Beijing, making it a good place to break the trip, if only to stretch your legs and buy provisions. The Baikal-Amur Mainline, connecting with more northerly cities, also runs nearby.
Other popular destinations include Vladivostok, Beijing, Ulaanbaatar, Novosibirsk, Chelyabinsk, Chita, Khabarovsk, Severobaykalsk, Ulan-Ude, Neryungri, Blagoveshchensk, Ust-Ilimsk, Novokuznetsk, Penza, Kislovodsk and Abakan.
Be wary of the taxi-drivers at the station if arriving on a late-night train. A taxi ride to the centre of town should only cost 200-300 руб. Unlicensed taxis will overcharge you. If there is a disagreement, ask your hostel/hotel owner to come to the taxi and arrange the correct fare.
The historical center of Irkutsk is relatively compact and walkable. Traffic congestion is not bad for a city of nearly 600,000 people.
By public transportEdit
For those who want to save time or travel between one side of the river and the other, the public transit system is a good option. Knowing at least how to read the signs on the buses and bus stops is helpful, and on the minibuses, one must call out to the driver to request a stop. Oddly enough, the names of major bus stops are posted on kiosk roofs parallel to the road so that the names are not often visible from inside the bus. Bus and minibus ("marshrutka") fare is usually 15 руб. Local etiquette is to pay the driver when exiting the bus and trolley (therefore you can exit it only through the front door). In trams tickets should be purchased from driver, then stamped in the machine on board.
2 Tourist Information Office, in the Europe House, 21 F. Engels St. (very friendly and useful)
Skiwalker, Kultukskaya Ulitza #15, offers bicycle rental.
Among the Soviet concrete monstrosities, Irkutsk features many of atmospheric, decaying wooden buildings. Most of these are either abandoned or still used as private residences and add to the atmosphere of the city.
- 1 City History Museum (Музей истории города Иркутска), ul Frank-Kamenetskogo 16А. Closed Wednesdays and holidays. Has an interesting and thorough display of Irkutsk from its inception to the present day.
- 2 [dead link] Irkutsk Regional Museum (Иркутский областной краеведческий музей), Ul. Karla Marksa, 2 (across from the Alexander III memorial on the Angara embankment). Closed Mondays. Has an interesting ethnographic exhibit on indigeous peoples including Even and Buryats, and a display on Irkutsk in the 20th Century.
- 3 Sidorov State Mineralogical Museum, Lermontov, 83, IRNITU, Building E. Over 35,000 items on display.
- 4 Sukachev Art Museum (Иркутский областной художественный музей им. В.П.Сукачева), Ul. Lenina, 5. Closed Tuesdays. Probably Siberia's best collection of fine art, including several early icons, Russian secular art of the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries, including a few works of Repin, a section of Mongolian and Chinese art, and a section of European art including a collection of lesser-known Dutch masters.
- 5 Eksperimentary science museum (Музей занимательной науки Экспериментарий), Ul. Lermontova (ул. Лермонтова,) 277А. Branch of the museum is at ul. Sedov , 2. All his exhibits operate and can be used by visitors themselves.
- History Museum of JSC Irkutskenergo, Rabochaya Street, 22.
- 6 Irkutsk Museum of Decembrists (House-Museum Volkonskiis) (Иркутский областной историко-мемориальный музей декабристов), Per. Volonskoho, (пер. Волконского,) 10 (Historical center), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-6PM, Closed: Monday. The museum consists of the S.P.Trubetskogo and the S.G.Volkonskogo memorial estates. 200 руб.
- Trubetsky House-Museum (Дом-музей Трубецких), Ul. Dzherzhinskogo (ул. Дзержинского,) 64, ✉ email@example.com. 10AM-6PM, Closed: Tuesday & Wednesday.
- Antipina Estate (Усадьба Антипина), Ul. Baykalskaya, 68.
- Atafonova Estate (Усадьба Атафонова), Ul. Sophi Perovskoi,15.
- Basnina Estate (Усадьба Баснина), Ul. Sverdlova, 33-35. Architect: Losev.A.I., 1850s.
- Belyaeva Estate (Усадьба Беляева), Ul. Kozhova, 40.
- Sukachev Estate (Усадьба Сукачёва), Ul. Dekabristov Sobytii, 112 (Near the TANK bus stop). The estate of a 19th-century mayor of Irkutsk showing life of the upper classes at the time, in a series of log houses that he lived in.
- Volkonskiy House (Усадьба Волконского), off Ul. Timuryazeva (behind the Transfiguration Church near the bus station). One of houses of Decembrist exiles was one of the focal points of the Decembrists' social life in the mid-19th Century.
- House of the Military governors (Белый Дом в Иркутске, Oсобняк Михаила Васильевича Сибирякова, Дом военных генерал-губернаторов), Bul. Haharina (бульвар Гагарина,) 24. Architect: Dzh.Kvarengi (?). Founder: Sibiryakov M.V. Founded: 1804. Constructed: 1800-04.
- 7 Epiphany Cathedral (Собор Богоявления), ulitsa Nizhnyaya Naberezhnaya, 2. Siberian baroque architecture; built between 1718 and 1746.
- 8 Our Lady of Kazan Church (Казанская церковь(Богородице-Иркутская церковь во имя Казанской иконы Божией Матери)), Ul. Barricad (улица Баррикад). Neobyzantian architecture; built between 1885 and 1892.
- 9 Znamensky Monastery (Знаменский монастырь), Ul. Angarskaya, 14 (In the Right Bank district of the city of Irkutsk at the confluence of the Angara and Ushakovkal; near a monument to Alexander Kolchak, White General.). Built in 1689, this is an old monastery where Alaska explorer Grigory Shelekhov is buried. Also in the name of the Monastery of Our Lady of the Sign. - Orthodox women's monastery. One of the oldest monasteries in Siberia.
- 10 Knyaze-Vladimirsky Monastery (Князе-Владимирский монастырь), Ul. Kashtanovskaya, 52 (Tram 4 to 'Детская улица'). Built in 1888 in honour of Prince Vladimir.
- 11 Prince Vladimir's Church (Church Litvintsevskaya) (Князе-Владимирская церковь (Церковь святого равноапостольного князя Владимира)), Ul. Kashtakovskaya, (ул. Каштаковская,) 52 (Tram 4 to 'Детская улица'). Part of the Knyaze-Vladimirsky Monastery; also built in 1888.
- 12 Neokesariyskovo Gregory Church (Церковь Григория Неокесарийского (Церковь Святого Григория, епископа Неокесарийского)), Pereulok Krasnoflotskiye, 5? (пер. Краснофлотский,) (in the historic city center, on a side street in the yard Krasnoflotskoye Trinity Church. - Tram 1 or 2 to 'Улица Чкалова'). Classical architecture; built between 1802 and 1805.
- 13 Vladimyr Church (Владимирская церковь (Церковь Владимирской иконы Божией Матери)), Ul. Dekabrsky Sobitii, 3 (ул. Декабрьских Событий,). Siberian baroque architecture; built between 1775 and 1790.
- 14 Jerusalem church (also Church of the Entry into Jerusalem) (Входо-Иерусалимская церковь (Церковь Входа Господня в Иерусалим)), Ul. Vortsov Revolutsii, ( ул. Борцов Революции) 15? (In the historic center. - Tram 1 or 2 to 'Киевская улица'). Classical architecture; built between 1820 and 1835.
- 15 Znamenskaya church (Знаменская церковь (Церковь Знамения Пресвятой Богородицы)), Ul. Angara, (ул. Ангарская,) 14 (Buses 1, 8, 13, 15, 31, 32, 67 or Trolley 3 or Minibuses 1, 15, 27, 50, 84, 85, 87, 91, 92, 95 to 'Ремесленное училище'). Siberian baroque architecture; built between 1757 and 1762.
- 16 Synagogue (Иркутская синагога), Ul. Karl Liebknechta, (ул. Карла Либкнехта,) 23 (Tram 2, 3, 4 to 'Музей Декабристов'), ☏ . Built between 1878 and 1882.
- 17 Irkutsk mosque (Иркутская Соборная мечеть (İrkutsk şəhəre camiğ məçete, Иркутск шәһәре җамигъ мәчете)), Ul. Karl Liebknechta, (ул. К.Либкнехта,) 86.. Built in 1901.
- 18 Holy Cross Church Krestovozdvyzhenskaya tserkov (Крестовоздвиженская церковь (Церковь Воздвижения Честного и Животворящего Креста Господня)), Ul. Sedova, (улица Седова,) 1. (Tram 1 or 2 to 'Филармония'). Siberian baroque architecture; built between 1747 and 1760.
- 19 Michael the Archangel Church (Михаило-Архангельская церковь, Церковь Михаила Архангела, Cкитская церковь), Ul. Obraztsova, (улице Образцова), 1 (Bus 10 to 'Железнодорожный вокзал «Иркутск-Сортировочный»' 100m). Built in 1876.
- 20 St. Nicholas Church (Николо-Иннокентьевская церковь (Церковь Святителя Николая Чудотворца и Святителя Иннокентия)), Ul. Profsoyuznaya (ул. Профсоюзная,) 45А (Tram 1 to 'Железнодорожный вокзал'), ☏ . Classical architecture; built in 1858.
- 21 Church of the Intercession (Покровская церковь, Церковь Покрова Пресвятой Богородицы и Сретения Господня), Ul. Rabochevo staba, (ул. Рабочего штаба,) 29 (Bus 1, 8, 13, 15, 31, 32 or Trolley 3, or Shared taxi 1, 15, 84, 91, 92, 95 to 'ОАО «Кедр»'). Built between 1824 and 1828.
- 22 Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Церковь Успения Девы Марии Римско-католический костёл, польск. Kościół Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Maryi Panny w Irkucku), /Ul. Sukh-Batora, (ул. Сухэ-Батора,) 1 (Bus 6, 8, 11, 14, 25, 28, 28р, 39, 40, 42, 43, 62, 67 to 'Гостиница «Ангара»'). Neo-Gothic architecture; built between 1881 and 1884.
- 23 Church of the Assumption (Успенская церковь, Церковь Успения Богородицы), Ul. Polyarnaya, (ул. Полярная,) 76 (Bus 6, 26 to 'Мелькомбинат', 100m North of Innokent'yevskiy bridge, 'Иннокентьевский мост'). Built between 1780 and 1783.
- 24 Harlampievskaya Church (Church of Archangel Michael) (Харлампиевская церковь, Михайло-Архангельская Харлампиевская церковь), Ul. Pyatii Armiii (Улица 5-й Армии), 59 (Tram 1, 2 to 'Улица Горького'), ☏ . Built in 1777.
- 25 Transfiguration Church (Спасо-Преображенская церковь, Церковь Преображения Господня), Pereulok Volkonskogo, (пер. Волконского) 1 (Tram 4 to 'Музей Декабристов'), ☏ . Baroque provincial architecture; built between 1795 and 1811.
- 26 Trinity Church (Holy Trinity Church) (Троицкая церковь, Церковь Святой Троицы), Ul. Pyatoi Armii, (ул. Пятой Армии,) 8 (Tram 1, 2 to 'Улица Чкалова'). Siberian baroque architecture; built between 1750 and 1778.
- 27 [dead link] Church of the Saviour (Храм Христа Спасителя, Спасская церковь), Ul. Sukhe Batora (ул. Сухэ Батора,) 2 (Public Garden (Публичный сад)), ☏ . Russian architecture; built between 1706 and 1710.
- 28 Ice-breaker "Angara (Музей Ледокол «Ангара») (Trolley or bus to Mikrorayon Solnechny). Weekdays: 10:00AM-5:00PM. the oldest among steam ice-breakers in the world, built in 1900 in Newcastle, now a museum docked at the city's port. Technical data of ship: length - 60 m, width - 10.5 m, height from keel to deck in the center - 7.5 m, displacement - 1400 tons.
- 29 Dam and hydroelectricity plant (Ирку́тская гидроэлектроста́нция) (Take trolley bus number 8, which will drive across the dam. Afterwards, you can walk to a fuel station, where you can see the power plant very well. Afterwards, you can walk across the dam. Beside the plant, it's also possible to go up and down the dam itself.). You can Not many people seem to consider the dam and hydroelectric plant as an interesting sight, so you'll be more or less alone there
- 30 Irkutsk-City business-center (Деловой район «Иркутск-Сити»), Ul. Octyabrskoi Revolyutsy, (ул. Октябрьской Революции,) 1. (Not far away from the historic center). A couple of high-tech buildings are there, but more is left to be built. A business district in the Right Bank district of Irkutsk. Located in the eastern part of the historic city center in close proximity to the main streets: Karla Marksa, Dzerzhinsky, Dekabrsky Sobytii. Planned deadline of all objects - 2016, the total built-up area - 300 hectares. This 34 buildings, 15 of which - business centers. Developer of the project - "Active" .
- Nerpinary, 2 Zheleznodorozhnaya st., 66, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Home to 2 Baikal seals. You can see the seals perform and even paint!
- 31 Kirov Square (Площадь имени Кирова) (In the historic downtown.Between Leninsky and Sukh-Baatar streets.). Old names: Between 1669-1790s - The Kremlin, since the beginning of XIX to 1935 - Tikhvin Gostinodvorskaya, Earl Speranskii and others. It is the main square of Right Bank district, of Irkutsk.
- 32 Babr Sculpture. The coat of arms of Irkutsk
- [dead link] Irkutsk Philarmony. Classic, jazz, folk music performance. on 2, Dzerzhinskogo st.
- City drama theater (Иркутский городской театр народной драмы), Ul. Karla Marksa, (Карла Маркса,) 14. Built in 1898.
- Angara embankment, end of Ul. Karla Marksa. at the in the evening, the place for meeting of the youth.
- Statue of famous Russian writer A. Vampilov, Karl Marx St (Near Drama theatre). who was born near Irkutsk. Visiting for good luck and happiness in your life. It is a new and popular tradition in Irkutsk, started from Vampilov's anniversary.
- Central park in winter. there many ice sculptures as well as an ice castle that you can walk around in. There are ice slides in this park also. Most Russians stand up and slide on the soles of their shoes. The park is very lively at night with tourists, even though the temperatures drop well below -20 degrees C.
- Walk down Ul. Uritskovo, a pedestrian street with shops and cafes.
Wood carvings, birchwood boxes, and lacquer boxes are typical souvenirs of Siberia. A few hotels have souvenir stalls in the lobby, and the Regional Museum at Ul. Karla Marksa 2 has a decent selection in their gift shop as well.
Kamusi are winter boots used by native Siberians made out of deer, elk, or other fur. One place to buy is at a small shop across from the bus station at Ul. Oktyabrskoi Revolyutsii 20B called "Aikhal". It is in a courtyard behind some kiosks, so it takes some searching. They have kamusi for men, women, and children, with prices starting at about 3000 руб.
For a local speciality, Omul, Sig and Kharius are local fishes found in the lake Baikal (available in many restaurants). Cold smoked kharius is good with beer. Hot smoked kharius you can find in Listvyanka or Kultuk villages near Baikal lake. Price depends on fish size and is usually about 150-25 руб for one. In the Central or New market (Noviy Rinok) you can buy kharius and sig caviar - tasty.
National Buryat big dumplings (boozy, pozy) can be found in Amrita cafés. It's a special Buryat fast food chain with some cafés in the middle of town. Cheap, tasty. Pozy is a steamed meat (beef with pork) big dumplings that must be eaten using only hands.
- Cafe Shokolad at Ul. Dekyabrskikh Sobytii 102 behind the wedding palace, is a clean, modern cafe with good salads, reasonably-priced main courses, and, as their name suggests, sumptuous desserts. A bit outside the historical center (near the TANK bus stop), it is a good place to relax after an excursion to the Sukachev Estate down the street.
- Pizza Domino with no relation to the US chain, is at Lenina 13A across from the Lenin Statue. They do pizzas, soups, and other quick meals. Very cheap, and open 24 hours.
- Pizza Pinocchio near the Angara Hotel on Kirov Square and other locations; quick and inexpensive pizzas that are sometimes reheated in a microwave.
- Kochevnik, Gorkogo St., 19, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Nice Mongolian restaurant with a relaxing atmosphere.
- Seul, Dekabrskikh Sobytiy, 57, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Korean and Chinese food
- Liverpool — Is a somewhat Beatles themed restaurant which also works as an superb nightclub with young beautiful Russian hipsters and 2 dancefloors. Not much on out of season. Said only 1 beer on which was of couse the most expensive!
- Broadway, 29, Sedova st, ✉ email@example.com. 12:00-2:00 Tu-Th; 12:00-6:00 Fr-Sa; the bar works around clock. European and Russian cuisine, a dance floor at nights.
- Club Megapolis (Мегаполис), 4, Ulanbatorskaya st, ☏ . 22:00-7:00. A night club for 2000 persons admittance fee 50-200 руб depending on the weekday.
- [dead link] Club Stratosfera (Стратосфера), 15 Karla Marksa st. Three bars (big, beer and disco), dancefloor, pizzeria, two 3D cinemas, bowling.
- Panorama (Панорама), 102 Dekabrskikh Sobytiy st, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Cafes Shololade and Summer Terrace; show-club Panorama.
- Yefimich (Ефимыч), 3, Karla Marksa st, ☏ . A Bar-restaurant for 100 seats inside and 70 seats on the summer ground
Balsams Buryatia and Amrita are very nice Buryat alcoholic drinks (costs about 180 руб each 0.75 liters (0.16 imp gal; 0.20 U.S. gal)). Thay are also very helpful against cold. Balsam Buryatia was consecrated by Dalai-Lama XIV, as it says label on the bottle.
Many locals have rooms for rent and services such as Airbnb are popular ways of finding accommodation.
- 52°17' Travelcenter & Hostel, Gryaznova 15A, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. A great guesthouse,information center, souvenir & coffee shop, and travel company in the center of The Old Town area. Friendly staff, all the basic amenities (spacious common room and kitchen, lockers, laundry etc.) You will also be provided with linens, towels. Dorm bed: 600 руб; Twin: 1600 руб.
- Baikal Hostel, 136 Lermontova (Between the train station and the dam on the River Angara. Get off at the bus and Marshrutka station Mikrochirugia Glasa, on the main street uliza Lermontova. From there it's a 1-minute walk), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The first hostel in Irkutsk. Dorm bed: 600-650 руб; Double: 1500-1600 руб.
- Magic Hostel, 5 Timiriazeva St., 2nd floor (in the very center of Irkutsk), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Modern accommodation. Dorm bed: 400-700 руб; Double: 1200-1600 руб.
- Nerpa Backpackers Hostel, Sportivniy lane bld. 5A apt. 1 (in the city center, a 7-minute walk from the train station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Friendly staff, all the basic amenities (2 bathrooms and toilets, spacious common room and kitchen, lockers, laundry etc.) You will also be provided with linens and towels. Dorm bed: 600 руб.
- [dead link] Angara Hotel, Sukhe-Batora st., 7 (2.5km from the train station, at the Kirov Square in the centre), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. 280 rooms, a fitness centre, sauna, swimming pool as well as a billiard room. Single: 2100-3600 руб; Twin: 3400-4000 руб.
- Courtyard by Marriott Irkutsk, Chkalov Street 15 (walking distance of the Kirov Place). Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. 208 spacious guestrooms, including 7 suites, free access to fitness. Lobby Bar, a full American-style breakfast buffet in the restaurant.
- China (General Consulate), Karla Marksa street, 40, ☏ , , , fax: .
- [dead link] Lithuania (Honourary Consulate), 259B Baikalskaya St, ☏ , , , fax: , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 8:00—19:00 Mon-Fri.
- Mongolia (General Consulate), 11 Lapina St (Near Khudozhestvenny cinema), ☏ , fax: . 9.30-12.00, 14.30-17.00 Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri.
- [formerly dead link] Poland (General Consulate), 18 Sukhe Batora St, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Visas 10:00-14:00, otherwise 9:00-17:00 Mon-Fri.
- South Korea (General Consulate), Boulevard Gagarina, 44, Hotel Irkutsk (former Intourist), ☏ . Mon-Fri 9AM - 5PM.
- Listvyanka is the closest village to see Lake Baikal. Purchase bus tickets online at url=https://avtovokzal-on-line.ru/ or at the bus station at ulitsa Oktyabrskoy Revolyutsii, 11.
- Irkutsk port serves boats to Ust-Barguzin, Nizhneangarsk, Bolshoye Koty, Listvyanka and port Baikal on the Circum-Baikal Railway.
- Circum-Baikal Railway and the southmost village on the shore Slyudyanka.
- Lake Baikal (Озеро Байкал). Lake Baikal, the largest freshwater lake in the world, lies about an hour away by train or an hour and a half by bus. It can be circled by train (lengths vary from a few hours to 3 days).
- Architectural-Ethnographical Museum 'Tal'tsy' (Иркутский архитектурно-этнографический музей «Тальцы») (To get there, take a bus from the Irkutsk bus station in the direction of Listvyanka (Листвянка); Tal'tsy (Тальцы) is about 45 minutes away and halfway to Listvyanka. To move on from Taltsi either to Listvyanka or Irkutsk, it appears the only way to do so is to hail a bus at one of the bus stops outside the museum grounds on the main road.). This village of several 17th-19th century wooden houses, churches, and a fort that were relocated from around Irkutsk Oblast to form this interesting open-air museum. 40-80 руб, depending on the type of bus and 40 руб for foreign adults museum fee.
- Olkhon island (Остров Ольхон). Olkhon island on lake Baikal offers breath-taking views and rest.
- Cherskiy mountain range (Хребет Черского) (2-hour ride on suburban train.). Make 3-day trip to Cherskiy peak (about 2,000 m) near Slyudyanka (Слюдянка).
- Arshan Resort (Курорт Аршан) (You can get there by bus or marshrutka from the bus station. Marshrutka is more convenient because it is faster and do not have a stops. For getting a marshrutka ask the men staying in front of the station, they will show you who goes there.). Arshan village in Buryatia offers mineral water springs (cold and hot springs at Arshan, and hot springs at Zhemchug village (Жемчуг) — about 10 km from Arshan) and scenic views of mountains. 350-400 руб (bus or marshrutka).
- Daily trains to Mongolia arrive after 36 hours to Ulaanbaatar.
|Routes through Irkutsk|
|Novosibirsk ← Angarsk ←||W E||→ Slyudyanka → Ulan Ude|
|End ←||N S||→ Slyudyanka → Ulan Ude|