Jukkasjärvi is a town of around 600 citizens in Kiruna Municipality in northern Sweden. While the town has been a meeting point for the Sami, Finnish and Swedish cultures since the 17th century, it is today best known for the Ice Hotel.
The only connection is by road. Jukkasjärvi's main street Marknadsgatan connects with the European Highway E10 some 6 km (3.7 mi) west of Jukkasjärvi. Kiruna, the nearest town, is some 20 km away, but E10 continue towards other towns much farther, such as Gällivare, Narvik and Luleå. From Troms, Finnmark and Finnish Lapland a route via Karesuando or Pajala may be convenient.
It is a small village with walking distance size. For much of the year, outdoor clothing is needed even for short walks.
- 1 Sámi Siida - Reindeer park and Sámi camp, Marknadsvägen 84, 981 91 Jukkasjärvi, ☏ , email@example.com. Winter season: Dec 1-Apr 14, Daily 10:00–17:00; Summer season: June 17-Aug 11 Daily 10:00-16:00. Visitor center with reindeer and information about the Sámi people. Café and handcraft shop. Accommodation in cabins in winter season. Organizing: reindeer tours, Aurora borealis watching. Winter: adult 150 kr, student 100 kr, children 75 kr. Summer: adult 120 kr, student 100 kr, children 60 kr.
- 2 Jukkasjärvi church. The church was built 1607 and extended 1726. It is famous for its altarpiece, made in 1958 by Bror Hjorth, a cubist wood sculptor. Free entrance.
- 3 Esrange Space Center (45 km from the town of Kiruna, signposted from the E10 road), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. June 8-Aug 19, daily 10:30-17:30, other times on request. Another 20 or so km along the Jukkasjärvi road is the Esrange Space Center (ESC). Run by the Swedish Space Corporation, it provides grounds for the European Space Agency and other institutions' tests and experiments, including rocket and high-altitude balloon launches. Apart from that, ESC is an important station for communication with satellites in polar orbits. The location is outstanding for observations and research of atmospheric phenomena such as northern lights, noctilucent clouds and mother-of-pearl clouds. Coffee & cookie included. Adults 80 kr.
- [dead link] 3-day snowmobile tour Jukkasjärvi - tundra. On this tour you discover the variety of Jukkasjärvi. The trail leads through forest areas, over the tundra regions north of Jukkasjärvi up to the mountains close to the Norwegian border. Meet the Sami people with their reindeers on the way and get to know interesting things about their culture.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Hembygdsgården (Jukkasjärvi Homestead), Marknadsvägen 11, email@example.com. A museum and stake house, set in the old timbered homestead buildings dating back to 1736.
- 2 Icehotel Restaurant & Veranda, Marknadsvägen 63, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The highest ranking restaurant in Kiruna Municipality in the Scandinavian restaurant guide White Guide. They offer an a la carte menu and three tasting menus: chef’s table, ice dining and wilderness dinner, all made from local produce.
- 1 Ice Hotel (Ishotellet), Marknadsvägen 63, ☏ , email@example.com. A hotel constructed entirely out of ice. There are many copycats now, but this is the original. Outdoor activities such as dogsled tours are arranged by the hotel but reservation may be advisable, and cheaper alternatives may be available from companies in nearby Kiruna. Remember that winter in Lapland can be very cold, and though Ishotellet provides snowsuits and boots, you may need to bring equipment such as expedition-grade gloves, face masks, and goggles depending on conditions. Read the weather forecast. It is also possible to visit the ice hotel as a tourist attraction without actually spending a night there. It is worth seeing the ice sculptures in the rooms and in the floors. While much of the ice hotel exists only between November and May, a few suites are preserved and open all year around. A stay will cost you upwards of €300/night.
- Abisko - A village and national park
- Kebnekaise - the tallest mountain in Sweden.
- Kiruna - the only city in the area.
- Riksgränsen - Sweden's northernmost ski resort.