Kainan (海南) is a city in Wakayama Prefecture.
This city has been famous for lacquerware (漆器 shikki) production, one of the National Treasures of Japan.
International ATMs with English menus are available at Seven-Eleven, which are open 24 hours and easy to find throughout the city.
Kainan can be accessed on the JR Hanwa Line
JR Kainan station can be reached by Limited Express trains from Shin-Osaka station, departing every hour. The Kuroshio, Super Kuroshio or Ocean Arrow run from Shin-Osaka to Wakayama
Wakayama Bus (和歌山バス) is the local bus company in Kainan.
- Kuroe sikki-chuo.
- Chohoji (長保寺), 689 Kami Simotsu-Cho. A Buddhist temple, founded in 1000 CE. It is the Kishu Tokugawa family temple.
- Chohoji Main Hall (長保寺 本堂). National Treasure of Japan. It was rebuilt in 1311. It is an East Asian-style hip-and-gable roof.
- Chohoji Pagoda (長保寺 多宝塔). National Treasure of Japan. It was rebuilt in 1357.
- Chohoji Daimon (長保寺 大門). National Treasure of Japan. It was rebuilt in 1388.
- Chohoji Chinjudo (長保寺 鎮守堂). Important Cultural Property. It was rebuilt in the Kamakura period.
- Zenpukuin (善福院).
- Zenpukuin Shakadou (善福院 釈迦堂). National Treasure of Japan. It was rebuilt in 1327.
- Fujishiro shine (藤白神社). This is starting point on Kumano Kodō.
- Onzansouen (温山荘園). National Site of Scenic Beauty. It is a style of garden that features a path around a pond. Japanese Imperial family often came here.
- Choukyutei (長久邸). It is a style of garden that features a path around a pond.
- Heiwashuzou (平和酒造). a sake brewery.
- Nateshuzouten (名手酒蔵店). a sake brewery
- NakanoBC (中野BC). a sake brewery
- TsuuhouShuzou (通宝酒造). a sake brewery
- Suwan Edomura (すわん江戸村).
- Wakayama prefectural museum of natural history (和歌山県立自然博物館).
|Routes through Kainan|
|Wakayama ←||N S||→ Kii Tanabe → Shirahama → Kushimoto|
|Wakayama ←||N E||→ Nanki Tanabe → in to → Nanki Shirahama|
|Nara ← Yoshino ← Kōya ←||N S||→ END|