Krugersdop is a town in South Africa's Gauteng province to the west of Johannesburg. Krugersdorp has a modern business centre and shopping malls alongside many smaller shops, schools, and necessary amenities. There are also game reserves and a nearby bird sanctuary.
Krugersdorp was the hometown of engineer George Pratley who invented Pratley Putty in 1948. Pratley Putty was used by NASA in 1969 on Apollo XI's Eagle landing craft and is the only South Africa product ever to go to the moon.
Gold, manganese, iron, asbestos and lime are all mined in the area.
Get in edit
By car edit
- From Pretoria follow the N14 west until it joins the R28 (Paardekraal Drive), then follow Paardekraal into Krugersdorp
- From Johannesburg, take the M47/Gordon Road (exit 78/Roodepoort) turnoff from the N1, follow Gordon Road for 1 km until it crosses Ontdekkers Road, turn right into Onttdekkers and follow it until it changes name to Voortrekker Road. Follow Voortrekker Road into Krugersdorp.
By train edit
Commuter trains from central Johannesburg depart about every 1-2 hours, journey time is just under one hour. Operated by Metrorail, these have a reputation for being somewhat grubby and often overcrowded.
- 1 Krugersdorp railway station.
By plane edit
Krugersdorp is served by the Jack Taylor Airfield which is easily accessible from Pretoria via the R28/N14 highway, and more commonly by the N1 highway, Lanseria International Airport on the R511 which is used for travel to Pretoria, and OR Tambo International Airport which is South Africa's main international airport located in Johannesburg.
Get around edit
- 1 Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens, ☏ , toll-free: , Sisulugarden@sanbi.org.za. 08:00-17:00 daily. A botanical garden right on the border of Krugersdorp and Roodepoort. Has a butterfly garden, short (up to 4 km) walking trails and a waterfall in cliffs where eagles and peregrine falcons nest. R60.
- 2 Paardekraal Monument.
- 3 Fort Harlech, 25 Sarel Potgieter St. Historic fort from the Anglo-Boer War.
- 1 Krugersdorp Game Reserve (Main gate is along Rustenburg Road, R24), ☏ . Main gate open 08:00-18:₩0, Lion camp and Aviary is open 08:00-17:00. A 1400-hectare reserve with hippo, rhino, giraffe, a number of species of buck, wildebeest, giraffe, zebra, ostrich, lions and a bird aviary. Lion feeding at 10:00 every Sunday. A caravan park and lodge is located within the park. R40 for adults.
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, ☏ , email@example.com. 08:00-15:55. Offers game drive, horse trails, an observatory, abseiling, swimming pool and braai and picnic areas. Wide range of animals. R130.
- Tarlton International Raceway. South African National Drag Racing Championships
- 2 Silverstar Casino, ☏ . 07:00-23:45 daily. Offering indoor and outdoor dining, a cinema, a lounge, family entertainment options such as laser tag and of course gambling, along with entertainment and conferences.
- something at the huge malls of
- cradle stone mall
- key west mall.
- You can visit the local stalls around the city.
- 1 Ana-Paula's Coffee Shop, 14 Sarel Oosthuizen St, Monument (right across the street from Fort Harlech, the Anglo-Boer War blockhouse), ☏ . Tu-F 09:30-16:30, Sa 09:00-15:00. A small coffee shop with scrumptious food popular with the locals.
- 2 Die Boomhuisie, 56 Buiten Street (take Viljoen street west from Key West Shopping Centre), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 06:00-22:00 daily.
- Ngonyama Caravan Park, Krugersdorp Game Reserve (on the R24 just west of town), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 50 caravan and tent sites. Convenience store, take aways, pool, laundry and 5-star ablution block.
- Ngonyama Lion Lodge, Krugersdorp Game Reserve (On the R24 just west of town), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed & Breakfast and self-catering chalets within the Game Reserve
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, ☏ , email@example.com. R640 per chalet.
- Samia Guesthouse & Functions (Ingrid Schneider), 276 Voortrekker Rd, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 10:00. Guesthouse, with 7 double rooms en suite, full breakfast included. R499.
- Big Creek Guest Lodge, R24 Rustenburg Rd (13km from Magaliesburg towrads Rustenburg), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. The Lodge (3 stars), has beautiful double and family en suite self-catering units. These units lead off a large court yard with unique fire place. A self-catering two sleeper fisher-mans Log Cabin and the luxury Seringa Berry Log Cabin for the more romantic weekend break. A rustic furnished lounge with DSTV is available. Games room with a full size Snooker table, dart board and bar are for residents only. R300.
- 1 The Rabbit Hole Guest House & Restaurant, 33 Viljoen Street (continue with Ontdekkers Road in the direction of Krugersdorp; the road name changes to Voortrekker Road and then to Viljoen Street; the 3rd property on the left hand side after the Key West Shopping Centre is the Rabbit Hole), ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. The Rabbit Hole Guest House & Restaurant offers 17 rooms, all of which have en-suite bathrooms, private balconies with separate entrances and free wi-fi internet access. From the Rabbit Hole it is a 200-m pleasant walk to a wide variety of shops and restaurants at the Key West Shopping Centre. The restaurants are all situated on the waterfront of the Pretorius Park Dam. The Rabbit Hole has large gardens, ample safe parking space and an on-site restaurant. R600 single, R800 double, extra R200 for 3rd person.
Go next edit
- Johannesburg is the big city for which Krugersdorp primarily acts as a dormitory town. It is a major centre of arts, culture and economic growth.
- Pretoria is only a short while away from Krugersdorp and has a lot to offer a tourist. It is the nation's capital and is almost completely joined to the Johannesburg metro area!
- Sun City is a two hour drive away and offers world class golf courses and entertainment. The Pilanesberg Game Reserve is adjacent to Sun City and offers visitors to get the taste of an African Game Reserve.
- Cradle of Humankind is a World Heritage Site comprising a number of attractions including the Sterkfontein Caves, the Wonder Caves and Maropeng visitor centre. It's only 25 km northwest of Krugersdorp along the R563.