- Not to be confused with La Unión, a department in El Salvador.
Ilocano is the common language. The residents of the coastal barangay of Sto. Tomas and Rosario also speak Pangasinan while the cultural communities in the towns bordering the Cordillera speak Ibaloi or Kankanaey. English and Filipino remain as basic tools of instruction in schools.
As in other Philippine provinces and cities, jeepneys and tricycles are very common. In some parts, there are sidecars or pedicabs.
- 1 Baluarte Watch Tower. This rotund structure built along the shore in Luna during the Pre-Spanish time was used as look-out point for impending attacks by pirates.
- Luna Watchtower.
- 2 Baroro Bridge Marker. The siege of Baroro in Bacnotan started the operation to liberate San Fernando. This marked the first victory of the Luzon Guerrillas over a Japanese armed unit before the American Liberation forces landed on Luzon. The marker stands at the southern approach of the briedge approximately 14 kilometers north of San Fernando.
- 3 USAFIP, NL Military Shrine and Park, Darigayos (34.2 km north of San Fernando). Camp Spencer, the general headquarters of the USAFIP, NL located along Darigayos Cove in Luna is reserved as a Military Shrine and Park by virtue of Proclamation 590 signed by President Fidel V. Ramos on June 1, 1995. Darigayos is approximately
- Learn to surf on the black volcanic sand beaches of La Union. While the waves aren't Hawaii by any stretch of the imagination, the gently sloping beaches provide a steady supply of trainer waves. Seasoned surfers will yawn and stay in the bar. You can also enjoy beaches in San Fernando like in the 5-star Thunderbird resort, Sea Park and you can also go shopping at Manna Mall and CSI.
- [formerly dead link] Go Diving!.
- You can enjoy drinking in bars while singing in a local videoke.
- Thunderbird Resort Poro Point, VOA Compound, Pennsylvania Avenue, ☏ . A/C rooms equipped with LCD tv, free Wi-Fi access, coffee and tea maker. Some of its facilities and services are restaurant, pool bar and swimming pool. From ₱4687.50.
- Plaza hotel: Located at the City Proper near 7-Eleven