city of the Philippines and capital of the province of La Union
San Fernando is a city in La Union.
- The air-con bus from Laoag to San Fernando (215km) takes 6 hours and costs ₱330.
- The air-con bus fare from San Fernando to DAU Angeles costs ₱300 and takes 6 hours.
- There are also many buses to/from Baguio. and to/from Dagupan.
- 1 Ma-cho Temple. Taoist temple. At 7-stories high, it affords views of the sea. Has gardens and fountains too.
- 2 Christ the Redeemer Statue. The 25 foot statue stands with arms wide open awaiting your company.
- 3 Poro Point. Poro Point Baywalk and Lighthouse. Also don't miss the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Built as a tribute to the heroism of the soldiers who fought during the last World War, the marker stands at the junction leading to Poro Point.
- 4 Kasay Marine Sanctuary. featuring the 50 year old giant clam. Formerly Wallace Air Station, this 101 hectares of base land located at the end of Poro Point in San Fernando was acquired in 1903 for the United States Cavalry and was the home of the 848th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron which provided logistics and administrative support to other radar detachments under its chain of command. Turned-over by the United States to the Republic of the Philippines on September 16, 1991, the Bases conversion Development Authority is overseeing the plans for the conversion of the area into a prime tourism and industrial estate.
- 5 Heroes' Hill. This is a nice diversion if you like climbing a staircase to see not much at all.
- 6 Pindangan ruins. Spanish church ruins from 1764 looked after by Carmelite sisters.
- 7 La Union Botanical Gardens, ☏ . 08ː00-17ː00 daily. Landscaped gardens featuring orchids and aviary specimens, maybe a monkey or two.
- 8 Cathedral of St. William the Hermit.
- 9 San Fernando City Plaza. Includes the Battle of San Fernando Marker situated at the northwestern portion of the Town Plaza with an inscription as to the account of how the Battle was started and won, enabling the establishment of the United States Army Base Base M at Poro Point which was eventually used as a build up area for the projected invasion of Japan.
- 10 Bacsil Ridge (9 km northeast of San Fernando town proper). The Ridge constituted the East Flank of the 121st Infantry of the United States Armed Forces in the Philippines, Northern Luzon (USAFIP NL) during the Liberation in 1945.
Go scuba diving. [formerly dead link]
Malls & SupermarketsEdit
- SM Savemore Supermarket, Rizal Street.. 8am-9pm.
- Puregold Supermarket., Pagdaraoan-Biday Road.. 8am-8pm.
- Jolibee. 07.00-22.00.
- North Mandarin Hotel and Restaurant, Quezon Avenue. (Baltazar Bldg.), ☏ . Fan double with outside bathroom.Fan double with own bathrooms. a/c double with own bathroom. free Wi-Fi. p400/450/650.
- Plaza Hotel, Quezon Avenue. (next to the Plaza), ☏ . Fan single/double with out side bathroom p 350/500.