Lakes Entrance is a town in East Gippsland where the Gippsland Lakes finally flow into the sea. It is a major tourist destination, with swimming and boating being the major attractions, but many other attractions like mini-golf and paddle boats which cater to visitors.
The town has a beautiful locality - surrounded by water, lakes and kilometres of deserted ocean beaches. However, like some other "seaside destinations". While not often attractive to New South Welsh people, it is the closest Victoria could offer on untouched sandy beaches.
- Griffith's Shell Museum, giant octopus on the roof, fantastic for children, very extensive collection of shells and a great kitch gift shop,
125 Esplanade Lakes Entrance VIC 3909 (03) 5155 1538
* Riviera Trading Post, 2nd Hand Furniture, massive barn for browsing bric a brac furniture, marine, second hand outdoor camping fishing, diving, boating gear tools and equipment.
- Ocean Beach swimming. Cross the main footbridge across the inlet in the centre of town cross the sandhill, and you will be at the main ocean beach area. A little further north along the road is Eastern Beach, which is patrolled between Christmas and Australia Day.
- Paddle Boats and Catamarans - for hire directly opposite the footbridge.
- Boat hire
- Lake swimming. The jellyfish can be a little larger in the inlet here, but there is an enclosure for swimming - best at higher tides.
- Tres Amigos Mexican Restaurant, 521 The Esplanade, ☏ . Not many tables, so it pays to book during the summer season.
- Lakes Entrance Bowls Club, barefoot bowls in summer, cnr Rowe and Bulmer street. Fresh and friendly cool in summer. 03 51 551410
- Lakes Entrance RSL, upstairs, novelty mural and military display's throughout
- Carmel Holiday Flat's, 9 Orme Street, ☏ . charming, 1950'w style fishing shacks, central locale, two bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, tv/radio, separate laundry, relaxed casual and friendly local owner. $90/night.
- Bairnsdale has a lot to offer for those interested in interior Gippsland cities and looking for a quieter, less visited destination
|Routes through Lakes Entrance|
|Eden ← Orbost ←||N S||→ Bairnsdale → Sale|