Sale is the commercial centre of central Gippsland. The town was gazetted in 1851, with its growth driven by a gold rush boom in Omeo and a growing shipping industry. A Sale canal was built in 1890, linking the city with the open sea. The city is home to an Australian military base, which was a key point of operations during the devastating Black Summer bushfire season.
Sale is located between the Princes Highway and the eastern section of the South Gippsland Highway. It is 212 km (132 mi) from Melbourne.
V/Line operate three train services a day from Melbourne, supplemented by some coach services connecting with the trains at Traralgon. A paper ticket is required to take the train to Sale, which can be purchased at Melbourne's Southern Cross station. Trains arrive at 1 Sale Railway Station. A full timetable is available here.
Car rental is available in Sale, and can be useful in getting around Sale or to nearby destinations.
- 1 Hertz, 222-230 York Street, Sale VIC 3850, ☏ . M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon.
- 2 Budget, 294 York Street, Sale VIC 3850, ☏ . M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 8AM-noon.
- 3 Avis, 294 York Street, Sale VIC 3850, ☏ . M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 8AM-noon.
Sale has a bus service operated by Little's Gippsland Coaches that operates between various points of interest. A map of bus services in Sale can be found here.
- 1 Lake Guthridge. Artificial lake with a fountain.
- 2 Sale Botanic Gardens.
- 3 Sale Swing Bridge. Historic bridge that was built in 1883 as the first movable bridge in the state. It is one of the few swing bridges that rotates 360 degrees.
- 4 Gippsland Art Gallery, 70 Foster Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa-Su and public holidays 10AM-4PM. Established in 1965 as Gippsland's first art gallery and located in the Port of Sale, the Gippsland Art Gallery has a number of exhibitions with a focus on local art and history. Free.
- 1 Port of Sale Heritage Cruises, Begins at Port of Sale, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Departs at 10AM and 2PM. Cruises from the Port of Sale to the Swing Bridge, on a wooden boat dating back to 1912 called the Rubeena. Journeys last 90 minutes. $25 per person, $15 per child (under-15), $85 for 2 adults and 3 children.
Sale has more of a city suburban feel than a country town feel when it comes to shopping, with shopping malls and major chain stores represented in them.
- 1 Gippsland Centre, 37-39 Cunninghame Street. M-Th 9AM-5:30PM, F 9AM-7PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Shopping centre. While there's not much special about it, if you need groceries or supplies this is the place to go. There are two supermarkets located here — Woolworths (open 7AM-11PM) and Coles (open 6AM-10PM). Among other stores and shops, there's also department store Target (open Sa-W 8AM-6PM, Th 8AM-7PM, Fr 8AM-9PM), clothing store Best & Less, music store Sanity, and Priceline pharmacy.
- 2 Aldi.
- 1 Gippsland Dragon, 37-79 Cunninghame St, ☏ .
- 2 Burrito Bar Sale, Gippsland Shopping Centre, Shop 36A/37-39 Cunninghame St, ☏ .
- 3 Criterion Hotel, 90 MacAlister Street, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-late, Su 8AM-10PM. Bistro built in 1865 serving upmarket Australian cuisine with European influence that offers accomodation in studio bedrooms.
- 4 Mister Raymond, 268-270 Raymond Street, ☏ . 8AM-3PM. Vintage cafe with all-day breakfast open 7 days a week. Servers are very friendly, but call in advance on weekends if you want to get a table. Breakfast $11-$19, lunch $7-$25.
- 1 Gippsland Hotel, 153 York St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Bar, bistro and drive-through bottleshop, with 9 classic pub bedrooms available for those seeking accomodation.
- 2 The Star Hotel, 173 Raymond Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bistro: 11:30AM-2PM, 5:30-8:30PM. Bar: Su-M 11AM-9PM, Sa 9AM-9PM. Bistro and bar with gambling facilities. The bistro has special themed nights: for example, on Thursdays, seniors can get lunch and dinner for $15, on Wednesday pastas are $19.95, etc.
Many pubs and hotels in Sale also offer accomodation. Check the Drink section for more information.
- 1 The Matador Hotel, Corner of Princes Highway & Raymond Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 54-room motel offering continental breakfast and WiFi. From $119-$143.
- 2 Quest Sale, 180-184 York Street, ☏ . Check-in: From 2PM, check-out: To 10AM. 53 service apartments with complimentary WiFi. A solar heated swimming pool is also available during summer. From $173-$375.
- 3 Best Western Aspen & Apartments, 342 York Street, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Motel with WiFi available. No pets allowed.
- 4 Mansi on Raymond, 474 Raymond Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Self-contained eco-friendly apartments. From $120-$240.
- 5 Siesta Central Apartments, 271 York Street, ☏ . Apartment and studio complex with WiFi, Netflix, and a barbecue area.
Telstra has a good connection in Sale. Optus and Vodafone do work in Sale but aren't great as Telstra.
|Routes through Sale|
|Bairnsdale ← Stratford ←||N S||→ Traralgon → Melbourne|
|Melbourne ← Traralgon ←||W E||→ Stratford → Bairnsdale|