From the south, travel via Ullapool along A837 which ends at Lochinver. From the north follow A894 via Kylesku to join A837, or branch onto scenic winding B869 along the coast.
George Rapson Bus 809 runs twice a day M-Sat between Ullapool and Lochinver, taking an hour; no Sunday service.
In July & Aug Durness Bus 804 runs once a day M-Sat from Lairg via Ullapool to Lochinver, continuing north via Kylesku, Laxford Bridge and Kinlochbervie to Durness.
Bikes may be carried between Durness, Lochinver and Lairg, but must be booked at least 24 hours in advance on +44 1971 511223.
- 1 Ardvreck Castle (11 miles outside of Lochinver on A837). A ruined castle on a small peninsula on Loch Assynt. There is not much left today, but it is a scenic view just next to the main road, so it is definitely worth a stop.
- Lochinver lies within the UNESCO North West Highlands Geopark which also covers Durness, Kinlochbervie and Kylesku. Some of the local rocks are over 3 billion years old.
- Climb 1 Suilven. Distinctive 731 m mountain. It's six miles to the summit from Lochinver, the route is described on walkhighlands.co.uk.
- Fishing: the area is best known for its fly-fishing (mid-Apr to mid-Oct) on the River Assynt flowing down from that loch. There's also sea fishing from shore.
- Assynt Highland Games are held early August in Assynt Park, two miles south of Lochinver. The next event is on Fri 14 Aug 2020.
- 1 Cruachan Holiday Home, Cruachan, Badnaban, Lochinver IV27 4LR, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 10:00. Self catering accommodation near the North Coast 500 (NC 500) with a view to the ocean. Varies by season.
- 2 Inver Lodge Hotel, Iolaire Rd, IV27 4LU, ☏ . Fine views, but the building is ugly outside and dowdy within. Good food & service but way overpriced. B&B double from £220.
- 3 Tigh Na Sith, IV27 4LD, ☏ . It means "House of Peace": no children or pets accepted. B&B double £125.