city in Niagara County, New York, United States
(Redirected from Lockport (New York))
Lockport is a city in the Niagara Frontier of New York. It is the county seat of Niagara County, and is a few miles from Buffalo. The city is surrounded by the town of Lockport. Both the town and city are named after the double Erie Canal lock.
From Buffalo-Niagara International Airport, it's less than a 30-minute drive to Downtown Lockport. Lockport is served by the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA). Lockport is a 30-minute drive east of Niagara Falls, NY down Route 31.
It is best to rent a car. In the summer Lockport has a tourism trolley. The NFTA bus stops are not far from the downtown attractions.
- There is a museum in the old lock control structure that contains historic photographs, maps, engineering drawings, and machinery.
- The Canal Discovery Center is housed in an old church about 100 yards to the west of the locks.
- Lockport is home to the widest bridge in North America which spans the canal to the southwest of the locks.
- The Lockport Caves tour can be taken near the locks.
- The Niagara County Historical Society at 215 Niagara Street is a complex of buildings that together tell the story of Niagara County history.
- 100 American Craftsmen is an annual show of arts and crafts held at the Kenan Arena. The arena is on the historic Kenan Center campus.
- Ida Fritz park plays host to the Taste of Lockport every August and to a Cruise Night every Monday during the summer.
- Lockport is the home of the Molson Canal Concert Series on Fridays in the summer. The series brings national acts to the Ulrich City Centre and events are free of admission charge.
- Just outside of Lockport is Niagara Wine Trail. It features 10 wineries.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:18PM local time and lasts 3 min 30 sec. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio then straddling the Canada–New England border.
- 1 Lockport Cave & Underground Boat Ride, 2 Pine St (NY 78 to Main St, left on Pine), ☏ +1 716-438-0174. Tours normally depart hourly. 10 May - 18 May: Sa Su noon-4PM; 24 May - 20 Jun: daily noon-4PM; 21 Jun - 1 Sep: daily 10AM-5PM; 2 Sep - 13 Oct: M-F 11AM 1PM 3PM 5PM, Sa Su 11AM-4PM. This 70-minute walking tour starts with a viewing of the "flight of five" locks that gave the city its name. A walk along the canal speaks to the industrial history of the area, and then it's into the Lockport Cave, a man-made tunnel built to provide hydraulic power to those canalside industries. A short boat ride takes you deeper into the tunnel before returning to end the tour. $9.00 (ages 4-12: $6.00; under 4: free).
- 2 Lockport Cave & Underground Boat Ride, 5 Gooding St., ☏ +1 716-438-0174. Lockport Locks and Erie Canal Cruises boat rides are offered on the Erie Canal, with one proceeding upward through the modern locks for a short cruise, and returning to pass downstream under two lift bridges and then returning to the docks. Adult $8.25, children 4-12 $5.50.
- 3 Lockport Locks & Erie Canal Cruises, 210 Market St., ☏ +1 716-433-6155, toll-free: +1-800-378-0352. Lockport Locks & Erie Canal Cruises offer sightseeing and dinner cruises on the Erie Canal. Round trips daily at different times of the year (no operation from mid-October to early May). $14, children 4-10 $8.
A bookshop on the Erie Canal at the Erie Canal Discovery Center or Lockport Locks and Erie Canal Cruises.
- 1 Tops Friendly Market, 5827 S Transit Rd., ☏ +1 716-439-4366, fax: +1 716-439-8464. Daily 6AM-midnight. Large, well-stocked supermarket.
- 1 Molinaro's, 90 Walnut St., ☏ +1 716-438-0631. M W Th 10:30AM-8PM, Tu 10AM-5PM, F 10:30AM-9PM, Sa 3PM-9PM, Su noon-7PM.
- 2 DeFlippo's, 326 West Ave., ☏ +1 716-433-2913.
- 3 Shamus, 98 West Ave., ☏ +1 716-433-9809, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Danny Sheehans, 491 West Ave., ☏ +1 716-433-4666. Tu-Th 4PM-9PM, F Sa 4:30-9PM, Su 3-8PM.
- 5 Village Eatery, 429 Davison Rd., ☏ +1 716-433-0688. M-Th 11AM-8PM, F Sa 11AM-9PM, Su 3-8PM.
- 1 New York Beer Project, 6933 S Transit Rd. Brewery, gastropub, event space, and rooftop terrace. Built to resemble an old brewing warehouse in New York City.
- 2 Freedom Run Winery, 5138 Lower Mountain Rd, ☏ +1 716-433-4136, email@example.com. Tasting room daily, noon-6PM (F until 8PM).
- 1 Economy Inn, 5656 LA-1, ☏ +1 985-532-9991.
- 2 Comfort Inn, 551 S. Transit St., ☏ +1 716-434-4411.
- 3 Deflippo's Hotel, 326 West Ave., ☏ +1 716-434-5595.
- 4 Best Western Plus Lockport Hotel, 515 S Transit St., ☏ +1 716-434-6151.
- 5 Lockport Inn & Suites, 315 S Transit St., ☏ +1 716-434-5595, fax: +1 716-433-0105, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 Niagara County Camping Resort, 7369 Wheeler Rd, ☏ +1 716-434-3991.
- 1 Lockport Post Office, 138 East Ave., ☏ +1 716-514-5000, fax: +1 716-434-1365.
|Routes through Lockport|
|END ← Niagara Falls ←||W E||→ Middleport → Rochester|
|END ← Newfane ←||N S||→ Amherst/Clarence → East Aurora|
|Niagara Falls ← Lewiston ←||W E||→ Childs → Rochester|
|Tonawanda/North Tonawanda ← Amherst ←||W E||→ Middleport → Rochester|