Lymm is in Cheshire, in the North West of England.
A pleasant village on the A56 approximately half-way between Warrington and Altrincham. Included in 'Greater Lymm' are the adjacent villages/areas of Heatley, Agden, Outrington, High Legh and Statham
The M6 motorway runs north to south less than a mile from the village, the Lymm exit is junction 20; the M56 runs east west a similar distance to the south, the Lymm exit is junction 9. The A56 Altrincham to Warrington road runs to the south of the village and passed the dam.
Lymm no longer has a railway station; the closest stations are at Birchwood, Warrington, Knutsford and Altrincham.
If you are feeling adventurous why not arrive by barge along the Bridgewater Canal that runs through the village
Lymm is a small village consequently walking is the best method to explore it. There is an off-road walk through The Dingle between the town centre and Lymm Dam.
- 1 Lymm Dam (On A56 south of the village). Lymm Dam is an area of great beauty and tranquillity. Its woodlands and meadows are teeming with wildlife and the site’s history gives it a unique character. Whether you enjoy horse riding, angling, bird watching, walking or just relaxing in beautiful surroundings, Lymm Dam makes a great place for a day out. Kids enjoy climbing on the sandstone outcrop below the church. As well as parking on the A56 there is off-road parking to the east of the Dam off Crouchley Road behind the church.
- 2 Lymm Cross. The focal point of the village
- 3 Thelwall Viaduct. Large viaduct that carries the M6 over the Manchester Ship Canal (hence its height) the River Mersey plus various roads. Originally opened in July 1963. The second bridge opened in 1995.
- 4 Manchester Ship Canal, Ferry Lane, Thelwall. Opened in 1894 making Manchester a port. For an unusual view, try the Thelwall Ferry at the astronomical cost of 11p per trip
- 1 Bridgewater Canal Walk (Access the canal towpath from any of the over or under bridges). Enjoy a walk along the canal, west towards Runcorn or east towards Altrincham, it is possible to make a circular walk by returning along the disused railway line.
- 2 High Legh Garden Centre & Miniature Railway, Halliwell's Brow, High Legh, Knutsford (On A50), ☏ . Standard garden centre made interesting by the addition of the miniature railway, great for kids' rides.
- 3 Lymm Golf Club, Whitbarrow Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Lymm GC welcomes day visitors, please check on course availability by telephoning the Pro's Shop (+44 1925 755020 select option 4) prior to your visit.
- 4 High Legh Park Golf Course, Warrington Road, High Legh, Knutsford (Off A50 to south west of Lymm), ☏ . 27-hole parkland golf course. Casual visitors are welcome seven days of the week
A reasonable selection of local shops in a fairly small area around Lymm Cross
- 1 The Church Inn, Higher Lane, Lymm (A56), ☏ . Celebrity chef Aiden Byrne's restaurant near Lymm Dam. Classy food with prices to match!
- 2 [dead link] Bowdens Bistro & La Joya Tapas Bar, 16 Bridgewater Street, ☏ . Good food in a relaxed environment.
- 3 Lymm Fish & Chips, Bridgewater Street.
- 4 La Boheme (formerly The Bollin), 3 Mill Lane, Heatley, WA13 9SD, ☏ . Serving good quality predominantly French food.
- 5 The Green Dragon, 2 Mill Lane, WA13 9SB, ☏ . A busy country pub & restaurant
- 1 The Brewery Tap, 18 Bridgewater Street (In the old post office), ☏ . Opened in 2013 with its own microbrewery at the rear. This is Dunham Massey Brewery's second pub. 7 real ales and 2 real ciders.
- 2 The Saddlers Arms, 7 Bridgewater St, ☏ .
- 3 Wheatsheaf Inn, 269, Higher Lane, Broomedge (On A56 to east of village), ☏ . Good local pub, real ales, food and shows football and other sports.
- The Venue, Thirlmere Lodge, Rectory Lane, ☏ . A great spot for live music, often attracts a younger audience on the weekends and shows sport.
- 4 The Golden Fleece, 41 The Cross, ☏ . Refurbished in 2015, good pub grub, great beer garden with a great atmosphere.
- 1 The Lymm Hotel, Whitbarrow Road, ☏ . A McDonald Hotel, AA 3 star. During the 1966 Football World Cup the Brazilian team stayed here!!
- 2 Statham Lodge Hotel, Warrington Road, Statham, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Mere Court Hotel, Warrington Road, Mere, Knutsford, WA16 0RW (Leave M6 at junction 19 and follow the signs for the A556 towards Manchester (M56). After approximately 1 mile, turn left at the crossroads onto the A50 towards Warrington. Mere Court Hotel is situated about a mile along the right hand side.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel & Conference Centre
|Routes through Lymm|
|Glasgow ← Newton-le-Willows ←||N S||→ Knutsford → Birmingham|
|Chester ← Warrington ←||W E||→ Manchester Airport → Manchester|
|Chester ← Warrington ←||W E||→ Altrincham → Manchester|