A daily train service from Moscow is available, taking two nights. Long-distance connections with Kiev, Novosibirsk and Saint Petersburg among others are 1-2 times each week. Trains heading to and from Baku also call here.
- 1 Makhachkala railway station, ul. V. Emirova, 10.
- 1 Natsional'nyy Muzey Respubliki Dagestan Im. A. Takho-Godi (Национальный музей Республики Дагестан им. А. Тахо-Годи), Ulitsa Daniyalova A. D., 33, ☏ . 10:00-18:00, closed M. Dagestan history museum, with guns and paintings and taxidermy and other fun stuff.
- 2 Grand Mosque of Makhachkala, Ulitsa Dakhadayeva, 136, ☏ . open sunrise to sundown usually. Financed by Turkey and completed in 1998, it is made in the likeness of Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul and is the premier mosque of Dagestan and landmark of Makhachkala.
Anzhi Makhachkala, the local football club.
- 1 Gorodskoy Plyazh. Beach for walking or possibly dipping a toe in if you don't mind a little debris in the water sometimes.
- 2 City Beach. Another beach, where you can potentially unwind and buy a fritter or two.
- 3 Tarki-Tau (approach thru township of Tarki southwest of Makhachkala via secondary roads). A promontory affording views of Makhachkala that can be attained via hiking (or driving) if security concerns permit.
- 4 Dagestan Russian Drama Theater (Дагестанский государственный Русский Драматический Театр им. М. Горького), Prospekt Rasula Gamzatova, 38, ☏ . A city landmark and fine place for repertory.
- 1 7 Kontinent (7 КОНТИНЕНТ), Ulitsa Yaragskogo, 30, ☏ . 09ː00-23ː00. A full shopping mall for all your shopping urges.
- 1 Pirosmani, Ulitsa Pushkina, 3, ☏ . Daily 12:00-00:00. Upscale dining featuring Georgian cuisine.
- 2 Kazan-Mangal (Казан-Мангал), Ulitsa Korkmasova, 33А, ☏ . Daily 09ː00-23ː00. Caucasian/Georgian cuisine (aubergine, lamb, etc), some English speaking waiters. Subdued ambience.
- 3 Ресторан "Номер 1", Ulitsa Batyraya, 11 (2nd floor Grand Plaza Business Center), ☏ . M-Sa 09:00-00:00, Su 13:00-00:00. Khan barbeque, kabobs, soup, pumpkin dessert in a warm environment.
- 1 Хостел House (House Hostel), Portovoye Shosse 5, ☏ . New, clean, and economical beachfront hostel. US$5.
- 2 Маяк, Ulitsa Magidova, д. 36. Another hostel that is fairly clean and spacious, although a bit hard to find. US$13.
- 3 Khostel Cherdak, Ulitsa Ushakova, 6и (close to Merkuriy shopping mall), ☏ . Hostel with berths/bunks along the walls that will make you feel like you're a sailor. Maybe learn some Russian while you are getting acquainted with your roommates. US$16.
- 4 Gostinitsa "Tsentral'naya" Korpus 2, Ulitsa Daniyalova A. D., 68, ☏ . Low-key urban hotel with free breakfast and wifi. US$22.
Acording to many governments, travel in Dagestan is not safe. See the warning at the Dagestan article.