Makiivka (Russian: Макеевка, Makeyevka, Ukrainian: Макіївка, Makiyivka) is a city of 340,000 people (2021) in Donetsk People's Republic. Makiivka is a leading metallurgical and coal-mining centre of the Donets Basin, with heavy industry and coking plants supporting the local steel and coal industries.
Former names: Dmytriivsk, Dmytriyevskyi.
Makiivka and Donetsk are practically a conurbation.
In 1939, the Jewish population of Makiivka was 8,000. Nazis emptied the town of its Jewish population, and executed 369 Jews here.
In 2006, a new synagogue was consecrated in Makiivka after almost 70 years. The house at 51 Lva Tolstogo street serves as a synagogue and as a community center for the Jewish community of Makiiivka's 2,000 members.
It is 25 km east of Donetsk.
The city has a main passenger station Makiyivka-Pasazhirska, a railway junction Khanzhonkovo (in the settlement where Aleksandr Khanzhonkov was born), and minor railway stations: Krynichna, Monakhovo, Makeevka-Gruzovaya
There are 4 trolley bus routes:
- 2 - City center - Main railway station Makeyevka-Passazhirskaja (Makeyevka Passenger)
- 3 - City center - Bazhanova settlement
- 4 - City center - Daki
- 5 - City center - Gornostayevskaya street.
and dozens of bus routes.
- [dead link] Makeevskiy urban art - museum of local lore (Макеевский городской художественно-краеведческий музей), ul. Lenina, 51/26, ☏ , , email@example.com. Describes nature, ancient and modern history of the region. The exposition is located in 5 rooms. There are exhibits of Neanderthal time, from Scythian period, a large collection of Ukrainian ethnography, collection glassware, nickel silver, pottery, porcelain, glass and copper 19th-20th centuries and also a numismatic collection, in 1600-2000.
- Pioneer Palace (Дворец Пионеров)
- St. George's Cathedral (Свято-Георгиевский собор)
- Northern Park (Парк Северный)
- Park of Vasily Dzharty (Парк им. Василия Джарты)
- Square of glory (Сквер славы)
- Donetsk Regional Academic Russian Theatre for Young Spectators (Донецкий академический областной русский театр юного зрителя), ul. Lenin, 64, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.