Malolos is the capital and second most populous city of the province of Bulacan, with more than 250,000 residents. It was the site of the constitutional convention of 1898, known as the Malolos Convention, that led to the establishment of the First Philippine Republic, at the sanctuary of the Barasoain Church. The convent of the Malolos Cathedral served as the presidential palace at that time. Malolos gave birth to the first constitutional republic in Asia.
The North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) provides access from Manila and Angeles, and exits near Malolos are Tabang and Santa Rita. Tabang exit is best used from Manila, while Santa Rita exit is best used from the north.
The MacArthur Highway passes through the city between Calumpit and Guiguinto.
Golden Bee and First North Luzon Transit has buses between Manila and the towns of Hagonoy, and Masantol and Macabebe (the latter two in southern Pampanga). The main bus stop is on McArthur Highway, near the flyover.
There are no trains to Malolos since the main line to La Union closed in the 1980s.
As of 2019, there is ongoing construction of an electrified standard-gauge railway to Clark International Airport in Angeles, Pampanga, and New Clark City in Capas, Tarlac. The first segment of that rail project will run up to Malolos, and is expected to open by 2021 at the earliest.
Public transportation in Malolos is served by buses, jeepneys, and UV Express AUVs. The city is also served by tricycles, which offer their services on a for-hire basis.
Malolos is known for its Karatig Jeepneys which serves as an intra-city public transportation. The name came from the word karatig, which means nearby places or barangays. The Karatig jeepney is the smaller version of the jeepneys which usually have the size of about 3-meters long and can board 8-10 commuters at the back plus 2 passengers in the front seat. Longer models can accommodate about 10-12. Its capacity varies according to the jeep’s length and size. There are two Karatig routes around Malolos.
- 1 Barasoain Church. Erected in 1885, was the site of the very First Philippine Congress on September 15, 1898, and the inauguration of the First Philippine Republic on January 23, 1899. In this church the Oath of Office of Emilio Aguinaldo and Joseph Estrada as Philippine presidents took place. Within the premises of Barasoain Church, there are other historical markers installed by National Historical Commission, such as the Universidad Literaria y Scienifico de Filipina at Malolos Convent, General Emilio Aguinaldo Monument at Barasoain patio, and First Philippine Republic marker installed at left side of the main lateral wall of the church.
- Casa Real. It was built in 1580 as Casa Tribunal and Casa Presidencia of the town gobernadorcillo. It became Spanish treasury in 1673. Declared National Shrine on October 4, 1965. Now it is the Museum of Philippine Political History.