Lakeville is a rural town with a population of 12,000 (2020). Lakeville is named after its numerous bodies of water, boasting over 4,000 acres of lakes spread across almost 30 square miles.
Lakeville was once part of Middleborough before it was incorporated in 1853 and is sometimes referred to as "Pink Eye Village" by locals because of a highly populated area of albinos.
Get in edit
Easily accessible by car from I-495. A large rotary just off the highway intersects with the east/west US-44, the southerly MA-18, and MA-28 which heads north and southeast.
- 1 Middleborough/Lakeville, 125 Commercial Dr. This station serves both towns, and has a strong commuter focus. There's not much nearby, and you'll want a car of bike to see much of anything. Accessible boarding for all train cars. 769 parking spaces, 13 accessible spots. Bike racks. MBTA zone 8. $12.25 to Boston; parking: M-F $4, Sa-Su $2.
Get around edit
Driving is by far the fastest and most convenient, but some cycling and pedestrian infrastructure does exist.
- Oliver Mill Historic Park (Muttock Historic and Archeological District), 8 Nemasket St. 24 hours daily. Once the site of fish weirs, later becoming a colonial-era industrial site. The fish ladder was added in the 1980s. Free.
- Wareham Street Herring Run, Wareham St., east of the town center about 1/4 mile.
Offering boating, fishing, swimming, and a life guard on duty; the major lakes of Lakeville are: 1 Great Quittacas Pond, 2 Long Pond, and 3 Assawompset Pond. There are additionally many dozens of smaller conservation areas, ponds, brooks, and swamps for you to explore.
- Ted Williams Camp (Loon Pond Lodge), Lakeville, ☏ . Sunrise-sunset daily. Recreation center with sports courts, fields, and a skate park. Free.
These courses are open to the public:
- The Back Nine Club, 17 Heritage Hill Dr, ☏ . Par 54, 18 holes over 3,012 yards.
- Lakeville Country Club, 44 Clear Pond Rd, ☏ . Par 72, 18 holes over 6,274 yards.
- Poquoy Brook Golf Course, 20 Leonard St, ☏ . Par 72, 18 holes, 6,762 yards.
- Cranberry Tri-fest. A terrific weekend of racing including a sprint distance triathlon, a kids duathlon, and a classic olympic distance triathlon.
- Persy's Place, 43 Bedford St, ☏ . 7AM-2PM daily. Great place for a huge breakfast. Small regional chain. $10-20.
- Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant, 500 West Grove St, ☏ . 11AM-8PM daily. Hearty sit-down Italian cuisine since the 1950s. Full bar. $15-30.
- Dave's Diner, 390 West Grove St, ☏ . 5:30AM-1PM daily. Fun 1950s retro diner featuring plenty of pancakes, waffles and burgers. American ephemera lines the walls. $10-25.
- Fireside Grille, 30 Bedford St, ☏ . 11:30AM-8PM daily. Often voted "best of" in a variety of categories by local publications. Reservations recommended. $20-60.
- Sunshine Cafe, 12 Harding St, ☏ . M 6AM-noon, Tu-Su 6AM-2PM. Breakfast and lunch. $10-20.
- J&J's Seafood, 197 County St, ☏ . W-Sa 4-8PM. Seasonal drive in restaurant since 1976. $10-30.
- Orchid of Hawaii, 201 Bedford St, ☏ . M W Th Su noon-9PM, F Sa noon-1AM. Chinese food and karaoke music. $10-30.
- Baldies Craft Pizzeria, 40 Main St, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su noon-8PM. Variety of gourmet brick oven pizzas among other options. Full bar and 40 craft beers on tap. $20-40.
- Quality Inn, 30 E Clark St, ☏ .
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, 4 Chalet Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. $170.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 43 Harding St, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. Complimentary Hot Breakfast, indoor pool and whirlpool, 24 hour fitness and business centers, free wireless internet, exceptional service. $190.
- On Cranberry Pond Bed & Breakfast, 43 Fuller St, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM. Three apartment/suites with private entrances, bathrooms, kitchens, and WiFi. Identifies as gay owned; no children, pets, or smoking allowed. Two other rooms available for monthly rental. $200.
- Lakeville Public Library, 4 Precinct St, Lakeville, ☏ . M Tu Th 10AM-8PM, W 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-2PM. Free.
Go next edit
|Routes through Middleborough|
|Taunton ← Bridgewater ←||N S||→ Wareham → Bourne|
|Providence ← Taunton ←||W E||→ Carver → Plymouth|
|Weymouth ← Bridgewater ←||N S||→ Lakeville → New Bedford|
|Boston ← Bridgewater ←||N S||→ Rochester → Wareham|