North Minneapolis is a district of Minneapolis bounded to the east by the Mississippi and I-94, and stretching 5 km west through Victory Memorial Drive. It takes in Camden, Bryn Mawr and Theodore Wirth Park.
Interstate 94 goes north-south along the eastern edge of the district, and Minnesota State Highway 100 along the western edge. There are many major streets leading into North Minnepolis from these two as well as from downtown.
MetroTransit operates buses in the north-south direction (connecting to downtown) along Thomas Avenue, Penn Avenue, Fremont Avenue and Lyndale Avenue. In the east-west direction there are bus services along Lowry Avenue and 44th Avenue among others.
North of downtown, the same alphabetic north-south avenue names are used west of Lyndale as South Minneapolis. Here the east-west numbered cross streets are also called avenues, however, and ascend numerically as you go north from downtown. Intersections in North Minneapolis are thus of the form N 42nd Ave & N Penn Ave. A few numbered streets from downtown also extend northward into North Minneapolis between Lyndale Ave and the Mississippi River.
- 1 Theodore Wirth Park. Sandwiched between North Minneapolis and the western suburbs, this is the largest park in the Minneapolis park system.
- 2 Homewood Studios, 2400 Plymouth Ave N (at Russell; C Line, 7, 19), ☏ . Tu 5PM-9PM, W,F 1PM-6PM, Sa 1PM-4PM (expanded hours during some exhibitions). Neighborhood art gallery and artists' workspace. Also hosts temporary art exhibitions, book readings, and live music.
- 1 Capri Theater, 2027 W Broadway (at Logan/Oliver; C Line, 14, 19), ☏ . 250-seat theater, originally functioning as a cinema known as the Paradise Theater from 1933-1967; it is the last of the historic movie houses still standing in North Minneapolis. Today it is a live venue hosting jazz shows and open-mic nights.
- 1 Friedman's, 400 W Broadway (at 4th St; 14, 22, 30), ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-6PM. Independent shoe store dating from the 1890s.
- 2 Guilded Salvage Antiques, 4430 Lyndale Ave N (between 44th and 45th Aves; 22), ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-6PM. Antique lighting and hardware salvaged from houses and other buildings slated for demolition.
- 3 Venture North, 1830 Glenwood Ave (at Morgan; 9), ☏ . M-F 11AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-5PM (coffee shop M-F 7AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5PM). Bicycle shop selling used bikes, new parts, and offering repair and tune-up services. Also doubles as a coffee shop.
- 1 Banana Blossom, 1724 Lowry Ave N (at Knox; 32), ☏ . Tu-Sa 11AM-7:30PM, Su 11AM-7PM. Vietnamese and Thai cuisine.
- 2 Broadway Pizza, 2025 West River Rd N (at Broadway; 14, 30), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-11PM, F-Sa 11AM-midnight, Su noon-10PM, kitchen closes one hour before.
- 3 The Lowry Cafe, 2207 Lowry Ave N (at Penn; C Line, 19, 32), ☏ . M-F 8AM-3PM, Sa-Su 7AM-3PM.
- 4 Milda's Cafe, 1720 Glenwood Ave (at Logan; 9), ☏ . M-F 6AM-3PM, Sa-Su 8AM-2PM. Small neighborhood diner (only open for breakfast and lunch) that has been in operation since 1965. The caramel and cinnamon rolls are fairly popular. Cash only.
- 5 Sammy's Avenue Eatery, 1101 W Broadway (at Emerson; 5, 14, 30), ☏ . M-F 7AM-7PM, Sa 8AM-3PM, Su 9AM-3PM.
- 6 Tootie's on Lowry, 2706 Lowry Ave N (at Upton; 14, 32), ☏ . M-F 11AM-10PM, Sa noon-10PM, Su 4PM-9PM. Burgers.
- 1 Cliff-n-Norm's Bar, 2024 Washington Ave N (at 21st Ave; 14, 30), ☏ . M-Sa 8AM-1AM, Su 10AM-1AM. Neighborhood blue collar dive bar.
There are no lodging options to speak of in North Minneapolis. Your best bet is to stay Downtown.
- 1 North Regional Library, 1315 Lowry Ave N (between Fremont and Girard; 5, 32), ☏ . M-Tu,Th 9AM-8PM, W,F-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM.
- 2 Sumner Library, 611 Van White Memorial Blvd (at Olson Memorial Hwy; C Line, 19), ☏ . M,Th noon-8PM, Tu-W,F-Sa 9AM-5PM.
- 3 Webber Park Library, 4440 Humboldt Ave N (at 45th Ave N; 5, 22), ☏ . M,W,F-Sa 9AM-5PM, Tu-th noon-8PM.
- Keep heading south along the trails of Theodore Wirth Park and you'll eventually hit the Chain of Lakes.