Modesto began in the mid to late 1800s as a stop along the railroad between Sacramento to Los Angeles. At the time, it was surrounded by sprawling farmlands. Over time, as the city grew, they began to build dams and canals throughout the neighboring foothills to help irrigate the farmland. After World War II, suburban areas expanded, and Modesto was no exception: by 1980 the city had 100,000 people, and by 2000 it had 200,000. The proximity to the bay area and relatively cheap real estate helped the city become a popular city for commuters to live in.
Today, Modesto is one of a few large cities in the San Joaquin valley, and is home to a unique blend of bay area and farming cultures.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- 1 [dead link] Modesto City–County Airport (MOD IATA), 617 Airport Way (Off of Mitchell Road near the Yosemite intersection), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Served by United Express from San Francisco.
Modesto is served several times a day by Amtrak and its San Joaquin route, which runs south to Bakersfield and north to either Sacramento or the Oakland. 2 Modesto station is located about 5 miles east of downtown, at 1700 Held Dr. Bus number 25 connects with the city center.
- Greyhound, 1001 9th St. Ste. C, ☏ . Station hours M-Su 9AM-1PM, 2:30PM-9PM.
Modesto is on California State Route 99, the major north-south arterial between Sacramento and Bakersfield.
- Lucas Plaza Statue (Intersection of Downey, 17th Street, McHenry Avenue, J Street and Needham Avenue). This bronze statue features two 1960s teens leaning on a car. It is a tribute to George Lucas, who grew up in Modesto.
- 1 McHenry Mansion & Museum (906 15th St.). A restored historical home built in 1883, offers free tours year-round. The Museum is across the street from the mansion.
- 1 Boomers! Modesto, 4215 Bangs Avenue, ☏ . Amusement park.
- Sunshine Rafting Adventures, 17500 Sonora Rd., ☏ . 7AM-8PM. Offering low cost float trips on the Stanislaus River out of Knights Ferry, CA for over 25 years. $17+.
- Gallo Center For The Arts, 1000 I St., toll-free: .
- John Thurman Field, 601 Neece Dr., ☏ . Home of the Modesto Nuts minor league baseball team — formerly known as the Modesto A's, they're just as exciting as when Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco and Miguel Tejada played for them. $6-$12.
- Community Business College, 3800 McHenry Ave (Take Hwy 99 to Standiford Ave, then right on McHenry), ☏ . 8AM-5PM. Take a class for pleasure and learn a new skill. $37+.
- Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, ☏ . 8AM-5PM. One of the oldest community colleges in the state. Many buildings date back to the 1920s and 30s. Famous alumni include George Lucas and Jeremy Renner.
- Modesto Certified Farmers Market, 16th St between H and I (downtown). May-Dec. Live music and a wide variety of vendors is worth the trip.
- 1 Velvet Grill and Creamery, 2204 McHenry Ave, ☏ . Has one of the best breakfast specials Modesto has to offer. Their specialty is their French toast, which is made from fresh baked bread that is deep fried and served with a homemade cinnamon butter.
- 2 Old Mill Cafe, 600 9th St. A local favorite for breakfast. Biscuits and gravy.YUM!
- 3 [dead link] Brighter Side Sandwich Shop, 1125 K St (13th and K), ☏ . M-F 11AM-3:30PM. An odd little place in a converted gas station. Order through the left door, write it on a bag to-go or an index card to-stay. The service is great, the seating is plentiful, and the food is delicious. $.
Additional lodging options can be found in the neighboring town of Salida.
- Best Western Town House Lodge, 909 16th St, ☏ , fax: .
- Courtyard Modesto, 1720 Sisk Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express, 4100 Salida Blvd, ☏ .
- Motel 6, 1920 West Orangeburg Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- SpringHill Suites Modesto, 1901 W Orangeburg Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Super 8 Motel Modesto, 4100 Salida Blvd. Hwy 99 At Pelandale, ☏ . Mission-style architecture.
- [dead link] Days Inn Modesto, 1312 McHenry Ave, toll-free: .
- Howard Johnson Express Inn Modesto Ceres, 1672 Herndon Rd (From 99, Exit Hatch, turn east, right on Herndon Rd. Hotel on left), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Has free internet, breakfast, nationwide calls, and 8 Feet deep swimming pool.
- Microtel Inn & Suites Modesto Ceres, 1760 Herndon Rd (From 99, Exit Hatch, turn east, right on Herndon Rd. Hotel on left), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11PM. Has free internet, breakfast, and nationwide calls. Swimming pool, business center, and fitness room and coin laundry are on site. $69.
- Sonora- 108 East. About 1 hour 15 minutes away.
- Yosemite National Park- 132 East to J132 East to 120 East. About 2 hours away.
- Sacramento- 99 North. About 1 hour 15 minutes away.
- San Francisco- 99 North to 120 West to 5 South to 205 West to 580 West to 80 West. About 2 hours away to 3 hours away, depending on traffic.
- Fresno- 99 South. About 1 hour 30 minutes away.
|Routes through Modesto|
|Sacramento ← Stockton ←||N S||→ Merced → Fresno|
|END ←||W E||→ Oakdale → Jct N S|
|Sacramento / Emeryville ← Stockton ←||N S||→ Merced → Bakersfield|