Located along State Route 99 which runs between the agricultural cities of the eastern San Joaquin Valley, Merced is also a gateway to Yosemite via State Route 140. Merced is less than two hours by car from Yosemite National Park to the east and Monterey Bay, the Pacific Ocean, and several beaches to the west.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Get in Edit
Merced is approximately 110 miles (180 km) southeast of San Francisco and 275 miles (443 km) northwest of Los Angeles.
By car Edit
Merced is served by one major highway (CA 99).
By train Edit
Amtrak serves Merced via its Sacramento-Bay Area-Bakersfield San Joaquin route with seven departures per day. There are also bus connections between Merced and Yosemite National Park. 1 Merced Station is at 324 W 24th St.
By bus Edit
Merced is served by Greyhound bus via its downtown station.
- Yosemite Area Regional Transit System (YARTS). Shuttle operates from mid-May through late-September. The YARTS shuttle travels on Highway 140 from Merced to Yosemite Valley, with stops in Merced at the University of California campus, Merced Mall, the local airport, the Amtrak Station, and other locations in Merced. Ticket prices include park entry, and can be purchased from the shuttle driver.
By plane Edit
Get around Edit
By bus Edit
- The Bus provides several routes in and around Merced.
The M5 - Merced South-East route travels between the transportation center bus stop, Greyhound bus stop, Amtrak Station, and hotels along Motel Drive and Parsons Ave.
The University of California's newest campus, 1 UC Merced, opened in 2005. The campus, on Lake Road to the northeast of the city, is open to the public.
- 2 Merced County Courthouse Museum, 21st & N Street, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Su 1-4PM.
- 3 Merced's Applegate Park Zoo, 1045 W 25th St. Th F 10AM-3PM, Sa Su 10AM-4PM. Few animals here, some chickens and stuff, mostly native animals who can't be returned to their native habitat. $3 adults (Dec 2022).
- 4 Merced Multicultural Arts Center, 645 W Main St, ☏ . W-F 2-8PM, Sa 11AM-6PM. Petite art gallery displaying local and national works. You might see a Dias de los Muertos costume. supposedly free.
- 1 Lake Yosemite County Park, 5714 Lake Rd.. This park featuring Lake Yosemite adjacent to UC Merced can be a relaxing place to swim, kayak, picnic, or watch sunsets over the oak covered fields of the Central Valley.
- 1 Bella Luna Bistro & Bar, 350 West Main St, ☏ .
- 2 King's Asian, 360 W Main St, ☏ .
- 3 Paul's Place Restaurant & Bakery, 2991 G St, ☏ .
- 4 Sam Cafe, 235 W 12th St, ☏ .
- 5 String's Italian Cafe, 731 E Yosemite Ave, ☏ .
- 6 Sushi Cuisine, 3544 G. Street, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-2:30PM, 5-9PM; F Sa 11AM-2:30PM, 5-9:30PM. Some of the best sushi in the area. Popular with the students from UC Merced.
- 1 The Partisan, 432 West Main St. Opens Tu-Su at 3:30PM, closing time varies. A Merced bar that is a favorite for locals, and for UCM students and faculty. Drink specials every night. Live bands on Saturdays. DJs on Fridays. Open mic every Tuesday. Trivia night on Wednesdays.
- 2 17th Street Public House (17th Street Bar), 315 W Main St, ☏ . Noon-close.
- 1 Best Western Inn, 1033 Motel Dr, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Courtyard Merced, 750 Motel Dr, ☏ , fax: . Check-out: Noon.
- 3 Holiday Inn Express, 151 South Parsons Ave, ☏ .
- 4 Motel 6 Merced North, 1410 V St, ☏ , fax: .
- 5 Days Inn by Wyndham Merced / Yosemite Area, 1215 R St, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Might be an occasional homeless person hanging around.
Go next Edit
- Yosemite National Park - Less than two hours east along State Route 140 by car.
- Merced National Wildlife Refuge - Located about 20 mi (32 km) southwest of Merced, this refuge hosts huge numbers of cranes, geese and other waterfowl during winter months.
|Routes through Merced|
|Sacramento ← Atwater ←||N S||→ Chowchilla → Fresno|
|Gustine ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Mariposa → Yosemite N.P.|
|Sacramento / Emeryville ← Modesto ←||N S||→ Madera → Bakersfield|