Mariposa is located along Highway 140, west of Yosemite, and is an inexpensive option for motel lodging when visiting Yosemite.
Visitor Information Edit
Get in Edit
By car Edit
- From Yosemite, take Highway 140 west out of Yosemite Valley. Mariposa is about an hour's drive away.
- From the west take Highway 140 east out of California's San Joaquin Valley. Highway 140 crosses both Interstate 5 and State Route 99, which are the main north-south routes within the valley.
By train Edit
The closest Amtrak station is in Merced where you can transfer to a YARTS bus. You can book a thruway bus with an Amtrak agent or at Amtrak.com. The bus trip from the Merced Amtrak Station to midtown Mariposa takes about 45 minutes.
By bus Edit
- Yosemite Area Regional Transit System (YARTS). Shuttle operates from mid-May through late-September. The YARTS shuttle travels on Highway 140 from Merced to Yosemite Valley, with several stops in Mariposa. Ticket prices include park entry, and can be purchased from the shuttle driver.
By plane Edit
Get around Edit
Walk. The commercial district about 10 blocks long and runs along Central Yosemite Highway, Route 140.
- 1 California State Mining and Mineral Museum, 5005 Fairgrounds Rd (Go south on highway 49 for 1.8 mi (2.9 km), then turn left onto Fairground Road.), ☏ . Winter: Th-Su 10AM-4PM, Summer: Th-Su 10AM-5PM. Learn about the California gold rush, mining and minerals in this museum. See gold formations, gold nuggets, minerals and gems. $4, 12 and under: free.
- 2 Mariposa Museum & History Center, 5119 Jessie St (The YARTS bus stops next to the Museum). 10AM to 4PM daily. Museum showcases the history of Mariposa County. It has several old buildings including a working blacksmith shop. Inside the museum are objects from Chinese immigrants who looked for gold and objects belonging to the Miwuk Indian Tribe. Also inside is a reproduction of a miner's cabin and a replica of the county courthouse. $5.00 for adults over 18, free for children under 18.
Go next Edit
|Routes through Mariposa|
|Auburn ← Coulterville ←||N S||→ Oakhurst → Ends at|
|Gustine ← Merced ←||W E||→ El Portal → Yosemite N.P.|