With history dating back to the 14th century, Nago had a monorail built when it hosted Expo '75. It is now a major tourism destination for Japanese and foreigners alike.
From Naha bus terminal (across the street from Asahibashi monorail station) you can take the Expressway Route bus No. 111. The trip will take about 2 hours and will cost ¥2,040. There will be many stops along the expressway on route. The No. 111 runs all the way from the Naha airport as well and costs ¥2,160.
- 1 Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, 424 Ishikawa, Motobu-cho, Kunigami-gun, Okinawa Japan 905-0206, ☏ . 08:30-18:30 (last admission 17:30). Part of the Ocean Expo Park, the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium hosts a large tank of 7,500 m³, where large fish including whale sharks and manta rays are kept. This site is very popular among Japanese and it pays off to visit it early in the day to avoid the crowds. ¥1,800.
- 2 Busena Marine Park (ブセナ海中公園). 09:00-17:30. Peninsula with an underwater observation deck, and a glass-bottom boat that leaves every 20 minutes. Free shuttle bus that looks like a tram. 2060¥ for adults, 1650¥ for high school and university students, 1030¥ below. Tickets for just the deck or just the boat are available too.
- 3 Nago Pineapple Park, Japan, 〒905-0005 Okinawa-ken, Nago-shi, Biimata, １１９５, ☏ . 09:00-18:00. Kitschy pineapple-themed park. A short but entertaining ride on an automated golf cart gives you some history about pineapple cultivation, dropping you off in a shopping center where all the products are either pineapple-themed or contain pineapple (or both!) Worth a stop if you're in the area and you like pineapple. Adult (16 years old) ¥850, junior high school (13-15 years old) ¥600, elementary school students ¥450, pre-school children are free, 10% discount for groups of 15 persons of more.
- 4 Nago Castle Ruins (名護城). Don't expect to find the castle as it was in the 14th century, but enjoy the nice walk to the top of the hill. The park of the Nago castle is on the Top 100 list of cherry tree flower viewing (hanami) spots of Japan, and the only place in the Okinawa prefecture on the list. free.
- 1 Nougeichaya Shikinoaya (農芸茶屋 四季の彩), Kunigami District, Motobu, Izumi, 371-1. 11:00-19:00, closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Delightful cafe is surrounded by nature. While you eat your meal you may choose to sit at a counter overlooking lush mountains. Many handmade shisa decorate the cafe and are for sale.
- 2 Kinokawa (紀乃川), Kunigami, Motobu, Kenken 603, ☏ . 11:00-21:00. Unpretentious Japanese food in a very unpretentious building. The only real reason to climb there is to eat their peanuts tofu, it looks like ice cream and is probably the most delicious form of tofu you'll ever eat. ¥1000.