Nishitokyo (西東京市 Nishitōkyō-shi) is a city in Tokyo prefecture.
Nishitokyo is located in western Tokyo, about 30 minutes by train from Shinjuku. Like much of western Tokyo, it's largely residential, with businesses concentrated around the train stations. The area has a lot of small parks and trees, in contrast with central Tokyo, which has skyscrapers and a lot more concrete.
The only train line running through the city is the Seibu Shinjuku Line (西武新宿線), which ends in Shinjuku to the east and Hon-Kawagoe to the west.
- 1 Skytower West Tokyo (スカイタワー西東京) (20 minutes' walk WNW from Tanashi Station.). This tall tower is perhaps the only iconic landmark in Nishitokyo. At night, it lights in varying colors.
- 1 DyDo Drinco Ice Arena (ダイドードリンコアイスアリーナ), Higashi Fushimi 3-1-25 (Just SE of Higashi Fushimi Station.), ☏ . This ice rink has ice hockey and public skating. On weekends, there are very limited public skating hours, so calling in advance to check on open skating times is recommended. Open skating ¥1200 admission, ¥500 skate rental.
- 2 Tamako Jitenshado (多摩湖自転車道) (The southern terminus is on the main thoroughfare Itsukaichikaido and just across the street from Gusto in northern Musashino.). This twelve kilometer bike and pedestrian path begins along the southern edge of Nishitokyo, runs fairly straight NW, and terminates far to the NW at two reservoirs. It makes for a nice walk or leisurely bike ride of any desirable length.
The best shopping in Nishitokyo is found around the north side of Tanashi Station, where there are several department stores and many other shops.
Restaurants are found in concentration near Tanashi Station.
- 1 Abiskar (アビスカ), Prince Plaza 109, Minamimachi 4-4-2 (Several hundred meters east of Tanashi Station's south exit, on the right.), ☏ . 11AM-3PM, 5PM-11:30PM. A small Nepalese-Indian restaurant, great for budget travelers. ¥700 sets.
- 2 [dead link] Dropkick (ドロップキック), Tanashicho 3-11-9, ☏ . This restaurant specializes in okonomiyaki and has a well-stocked bar. ¥600-1200 per plate.
- 3 Mae Sre Ruan (メースィールアン), Minamimachi 5-5-1 (50m south of the south entrance to Tanashi Station.), ☏ . This Thai restaurant serves tasty Thai fare. ¥700-1400 per plate.
- 4 RAJ (らじ), Minamicho 4-1-15 (70m south of the south entrance to Tanashi Station. Next to Seven-Eleven), ☏ . Daily 11AM-3PM, 5PM-11PM. An Indian restaurant that makes for a good late evening stop. ¥500-1000.
- 5 TEXAS (テキサス), Tanashi-cho 3-3-8 (From the north exit of Tanashi Station, go two traffic lights north. The restaurant is on the right about 30 meters before the second light.), ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-3:30PM, 5:30-midnight; Sa-Su 11:30AM-midnight. This is a western-style steak house serving hamburgers, steaks, and a number of desserts. ¥1000-3000.
- 6 Ichikawa (いち川), Minamicho 4-4-2 (From the south exit of Tanashi Station, go east parallel to the tracks for around 200m. The restaurant is in a covered row of shops just south of the street.), ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-1:30PM, 5PM-9PM; Sa 11:30AM-1:30PM, 4:30PM-9PM. A small and tasty and clean tempura restaurant. ¥700-1500.
- 7 Yamatoken (大和軒), Mukodaicho 1-20-11 (20 minutes walk SWS from Tanashi Station. Located opposite Mukodai Park.), ☏ . A mom-and-pop Japanese diner. Serving size is large. ¥700-900.
- 1 Karaoke Mokomoko (カラオケモコモコ), Tanashicho 3-9-14 (2 blocks NE of Tanashi Station.), ☏ . This is a clean karaoke parlor with an extensive drink list. The song selection is quite extensive.
- 2 SHOUN, Sky Building 5F, Tanashicho 2-2-3 (From the north exit of Tanashi Station, walk north to McDonald's. The Sky Building is NE diagonally across the street. Take the elevator to the fifth floor.), ☏ . M, W, Th, Su 6PM-3AM; F-Sa 6PM-5AM. A bar with standard drinks, lots of whiskey, and tasty appetizers. Drinks ¥300-800.
- 3 Half Yard (ハーフヤード), Tanashi Daini Marble Building B1, Tanashi-cho 4-28-14 (From the north exit of Tanashi Station, go NW 100m. Look for a sign and stairwell on the west side of the street.), ☏ . 5PM-2AM. This beer hall has many international beers in the bottle and a few on tap. The food is well-prepared pub fare. The place is clean, and there are several big-screen TVs showing sports. cover ¥100, drinks ¥600-1,200.
If you have no specific reason to stay in this area, Shinjuku is thirty minutes by train, centrally located, and has a large selection hotels.
- 1 Shirakawa Ryokan (白河旅館), Tanashicho 4-6-8 (From the north exit of Tanashi Station, go west along the train tracks for 300m.), ☏ . This is a small and clean ryokan. The staff are friendly and helpful, but they only speak Japanese. Reservations by telephone, also only in Japanese. Room and breakfast ¥6000 per person.