Musashino (武蔵野市 Musashino-shi) is a city in western Tokyo.
Musashino was formed as the result of a merger of several nearby neighborhoods. The most notable of these, Kichijoji is in itself a destination, and has its own page. Train travel is ubiquitous, so the second hub of the city is the area near Musashisakai Station. The remainder of the city is largely residential. There are several universities in the area, including Asia University and Musashino University.
The city is roughly squarish in shape, except that the south central part of the square is a part of Mitaka, the neighboring city to the south. The JR Chūō Line, which runs east-west through Musashino, has two stops in the city: Musashisakai (in the west) and Kichijoji (in the east). Between those is Mitaka.
The JR Chūō Line (中央本線) connects Musashino with Shinjuku and Tokyo Station to the east. Mitaka, one stop east of Musashisakai, is a transfer point for several other train lines.
Within Musashino, travel by foot, bus or bicycle is practical. The roads here are not so crowded, so using a car is reasonable, too.
There are several bus companies that have routes in Musashino. The train runs east/west through the city, and for north/south travel, it is probably best to take a taxi or catch a bus from Musashisakai.
- 1 Toranoyu Iwaburo (虎の湯 岩風呂), Yahatacho 3-1-21 (From the Sekimae Sanchome bus stop, head ENE for 200m. The bath house is on the north side of the road.), ☏ . Th-Tu 4PM-10PM. This is an old Japanese bath house with rock walls. There are large changing areas, men's and women's baths, a small shop, and washing machines. Adults ¥450.
The station areas at Kichijoji and Musashisakai have a fair number of shops. For a larger selection, take the Chuo Line to Shinjuku or elsewhere in Tokyo.
- 1 ADARSHA (インド料理アダルサ), Sakai 2-14-10 (From Musashisakai Station's north exit, go west 100m. Take the passageway just north of Doutor and continue 50m west. The restaurant is on the south side of the street.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 11AM-3PM, 5PM-11PM, Sa-Su 11AM-11PM. This Indian restaurant has several kinds of curry. Sets come with curry, rice, nan, and a salad. It also has all-you-can-drink specials. Serving staff speaks English. Lunch ¥700-1200.
- 2 Atom (アトム), Sakai 2-2-9 (From the north exit of Musashisakai Station, go west 50m and north 100m. The shop is on the east side of the street.), ☏ . This Italian restaurant has pizza, fried food, and a big wine list. Most menu items ¥500.
- 3 Gyoza no Manshu (ぎょうざの満洲), 1F M-H Bldg, Sakai 2-2-18 (200m north of Musashisakai Station.), ☏ . This restaurant specializes in gyoza and also serves ramen and Chinese food. The sets are very large. ¥500-1000.
- 4 Hana no Mai (はなの舞), Okubo Bldg 2F, Sakai 2-2-4 (Next to Mos Burger, about 100m north of Musashisakai Station.), ☏ . A seafood izakaya.
- 5 Hong Kong (香港), Kichijoji Kitamachi 4-9-11 (Across the street from the Musashino Shimin Bunkakaikan), ☏ . This Chinese restaurant has large meals that come with a main dish, soup, rice, salad, and pickles. ¥500-1000.
- 6 Ikkyu (一休), Asahi Freedeo B1F, Sakai 1-15-6 (100m E from the north exit of Musashisakai Station.), ☏ . 5PM-1AM. This restaurant serves standard Japanese izakaya fare. ¥1000-3000.
- 7 Janaki (ザナキ), Sakai 1-12-2 (From Musashisakai Station's main exit, walk north 200m to the first traffic light. Head east for 100m to find this place on your right, just before the traffic light.), ☏ . This small Indian restaurant has many different kinds of curry. There are several different choices of nan, including a sweet chocolate nan and a very cheesy nan. The staff is very friendly. ¥800-1600.
- 8 Kintoki (きんとき), Nakamachi 1-23-13 (Ten minutes' walk NE from Mitaka Station.), ☏ . This is a small restaurant that serves multi-course "kaiseki" Japanese cuisine with an emphasis on vegetables. Along with the great flavors, the staff provide excellent explanations of the food and drink. Reservations are recommended. ¥5000-8000 per person for food.
- 9 Kouzushi (幸寿司), Sekimae 5-9-5 (On Route 7, halfway between Don Quixote and Musashino University, 50m W of Seven-Eleven.), ☏ . A small and tasty sushi place with bar and table seating. Lunch set ¥800.
- 10 Nakazaki (なかざき), Nishikubo 3-11-1 (A few blocks NW of the Musashino Post Office.), ☏ . Daily 11:30AM-3:30PM, 5PM-9PM. A Japanese shokudo with handmade soba. The house special is a katsudon set. Dishes ¥700-1200.
- 11 Ramen Time (ラーメンタイム), Sekimae 5-9-6 (Between the Sekimae Post Office and Seven-Eleven on Itsukaichi Kaido), ☏ . This old shop serves tasty ramen and gyoza. ¥500-900.
- 12 RESTAURANT ELLE (エル), Sekimae 4-17-10 (Across the street from the main gate of Musashino University, next to Seven-Eleven.), ☏ . 11AM-2:30PM, 5PM-8:30PM. This small eatery is a good lunch option for people visiting Musashino University. The servings are large. ¥600-1200.
- 13 Sakura Sushi (さくら鮨), Sekimae 5-14-11 (Several blocks SE of Don Quixote.), ☏ . Tu-Su. A small sushi restaurant with a friendly and talkative chef. Lunch sets ¥900-1500, dinner sets ¥1200-2100.
- 14 Todairo (東大楼), Sakai 2-2-3 (On the corner a block west from the north exit of Musashisakai Station.), ☏ . W-M 11:30AM-3PM, 5PM-10PM. This small Chinese restaurant is often filled with the smell of tasty food. ¥400-1000.
- 15 [dead link] UNO's kitchen, Sakai 2-3-8 (From Musashisakai Station, follow Musashisaki Dori NNW for half a kilometer. The shop is on the east side of the street.), ☏ . This small Italian restaurant has an assortment of pasta dishes. Set menus come with a small green salad and bread. In the afternoon, sunlight shines in the windows and makes for a warm atmosphere. Sets for ¥800-1200.
- 1 Coffee Roast Musashisakai (コーヒーロースト武蔵境店), Kyonancho 3-1-5 (West 300 m from the south exit of Musashisakai Station.), ☏ . This coffee roaster has a dozen kinds of beans. Order a cup, and if you like it, get a bag of beans roasted to take home. ¥230 per cup.
- 2 Melody Hat (メロディーハット), Sakai 2-2-1 (2nd floor of the corner building just west of Family Mart, across the road from the north exit of Musashisakai Station.), ☏ . A bar with several Japanese and foreign brews on tap, plus several dozen in bottles, and a fairly large selection of scotch and whiskey. There is a small American-themed food menu, also.
- 3 [dead link] MOBY DICK SALOON (モビィディックサルーン), Nishikubo 3-2-4 (Several blocks SW of the Chuo Library.), ☏ . M 7PM-11:30PM, Tu-Sa 7PM-2AM, Su 6PM-midnight. A small bar with a large selection of bourbon and obscure American oldies on the stereo. The owner is a fan of motorcycles and will happily talk about them — or music — for hours. Drinks ¥450-900.
Musashino is not generally a business or tourist destination, it being largely residential. What hotels do exist are unlikely to have English speaking staff. Kichijoji has many hotels, though. To the east along the Chuo Line are Nakano and Shinjuku, with plenty of places from which to choose.
|Routes through Musashino|
|Nagoya ← Takao ←||W E||→ Mitaka → Shinjuku|