Kokubunji (国分寺市 Kokubunji-shi) is a city in western Tokyo.
Kokubunji is on the JR Chūō Line (中央線). Chūō trains depart from Tokyo Station (40 minutes, ¥540) and from Shinjuku (20 minutes, ¥380). Fast trains designated Special Rapid, including Chūō Special Rapid (中央特快 chūō-tokkai), Ome Special Rapid (青梅特快 ōme-tokkai), and Commuter Special Rapid (通勤特快 tsūkin-tokkai), stop at Kokubunji.
Kokubunji is also terminal of the Seibu Kokubunji Line (西武国分寺線) and Seibu Tamako Line (西武多摩湖線).
- Bun Bus. It has two routes — one through Hiyoshicho and the other through Higashi-motomachi. ¥100.
- Tonogayatoteien (A few minutes from the south exit of JR Kokubunji Station.). A beautiful Japanese garden. It is a perfect place to take a walk with someone special.
- Musashi Kokubunji Park. There are many kinds of trees; for example, cherry trees, zelkova trees, and maidenhair trees. You can see a fountain, a waterfall, and pond.
- Sugatami's Pond. A beautiful Japanese pond. Many rare birds come to this pond, and birdwatchers come for the birds.
- Marui (OIOI) (Next to Kokubunji Station.). 10:30AM-8:30PM, 8F 10:30AM-10PM. The local branch of the famous fashion mall, with countless small shops on the 2nd through 6th floors. There are also food shops on the first basement food floorm while 7F is CD and books store.
- Mezurashiya. A CD shop specializing in rare items, as the name suggests. There are three shops in Kokubunji.
- Okmart, Marui 3-20-3, Minamicho, ☏ . 10:30AM-8:30PM. This beautiful variety shop has many cheap articles.
- Marui Family. 10:30AM-8:30PM. A department store that makes for a nice family shopping experience.
- Akagi. A Japanese traditional canteen-style restaurant. You can select counter seat or tatami seat. Customers are generally hungry school boys. Filling sets ¥1000.
- Aburaya. Nice Chinese restaurant with good aburasoba and delicious donburi.
- Panas (A 3 minute walk from the north exit of Kokubunji Station.). This restaurant serves a variety of good Indian food and drinks. They also incorporate a small bar and offer several Indian and Nepalese brews.
- Sitar (About 15 mins walk from Kokubunji Station and 1 mins walk away from Hitachi's Koigakubo Dormitory.). Authentic Indian cuisine. Be sure to try the garlic nan and lassi! The restaurant manager and staff are very friendly.
- Takeshige-shokudo (In front of Tokyo Keizai University, a 10 min walk from Kokubunji Station.). Popular with students, this shop provides filling menu choices. Try the fried rice. Set menu for ¥1000.
- Supuun (A five minutes walk from the north exit of Kokubunji Station.). A special curry shop. Be sure to order the weekly special curry. The store has a relaxed and congenial atmosphere
- 1 Bunraku (文楽), Honcho 2-8-4. A perfect place to drink bottled beer with friends.
- 2 Ikkyu (一休), ☏ . This Japanese-style bar is one of the cheapest in Tokyo, so if you want to drink economically, this bar is perfect.
- Kumon (空門) (In front of JR Kokubunji Station's south exit.). A temple-like Japanese izakaya pub. The staff is very cheerful and friendly.
- Rubber Soul (ラバーソウル), Minamicho, 2-16-14 (A three minute walk from the south exit of JR Kokubunji Station.), ☏ . A Beatles-themed bar with a very friendly staff. They often have live bands.
- 3 Shoya (庄や) (Near the south exit of JR Kokubunji Station.), ☏ . 11:30AM-2PM, 5PM-5AM. A Japanese style izakaya. All food and drink are delicious. Enjoy seasonal food.
- Yataiya. A very good Japanese style pub. This pub has tatami rooms (zashiki) on the second floor. The food is good. Try the large-portioned and delicious bakudanyaki.
- At café. A comic café. This café has a massage chair. It has smoking area, no smoking area, and open area. All PC have big screens.
|Routes through Kokubunji|
|Hachioji ← Kunitachi ←||W E||→ Musashi Sakai → Mitaka → Kichijoji|
|Minami Urawa ← Higashi Tokorozawa ← Shin Kodaira ←||N E||→ Fuchu Honmachi|
|Tokorozawa ← into ← Higashimurayama ←||N S||→ END|
|Seibu Yuenchi ← Hitotubashigakuen ←||N S||→ END|