As a fast developing city and a major industrial and commercial hub in Africa, Nnewi hosts major banks, and other financial institutions. Industries are located around the city and adjoining towns. Palm oil, cosmetics, motor, and motorcycle spare parts, books, and stationery, textiles, electric cables, and so on are produced in commercial quantity in the area.
In the typical Nnewi home, kola nuts, garden egg and peanut butter are kept in the refrigerator in case any stranger should visit their home. Every visitation to their home begins with the offering of the kola nuts to the visitor. The kola nut iindicates that the visitor is very much welcomed.
Get in edit
The city is east of the Niger River, and about 22 km southeast of Onitsha in Anambra State.
Get around edit
The primary means of transportation in Nnewi is motorcycles. Almost every household own at least one motorcycle and the commercial motorcycles exist too. There are also shuttles and Tricycles complementing the motorcycles as the means of transportation available across the city.
- 1 Nwafor Orizu Statue, Nwafor Orizu Roundabout, ☏ . 24hrs. The statute is of a national hero and Prince of Nnewi Abyssinia Akweke Nwafor Orizu. He was Nigeria's second Senate President from 16 November 1960 to 15 January 1966, during the Nigerian First Republic. Orizu was also Acting President of Nigeria for a short period.
- 2 Igwe Orizu Palace Nnewi. The home of the oldest monarch in Igbo land the palace is a mix of ancient and modern. There is a museum showcasing the rich culture of Nnewi at the palace. Igwe Orizu III is the 20th monarch in Nnewi and one of the longest serving monarchs in Nigeria. He is a nonagenarian. The palace is huge and beautiful.
- New Yam Festival: In Nnewi, the occasion of Iri-ji ọhụrụ (new-yam eating) is a cultural festival because of its significance. Nnewi people celebrate their new yam festival usually at the end of August during which assortment of festivities mark the eating of new yam. These festivities normally include a lot of variety entertainment including performance of ceremonial rites by the Igwe (King), cultural dances by Igbo men, women and their children, and a display of Igbo cultural activities in the form of contemporary shows, masquerade dance, and feasting at a grand scale on a wide variety of food making up the menu of the Igbos.
- Its main trading centres include Nkwo Nnewi market (the largest spare parts market in West Africa) and Nwafor market, Eke Amaobi market, Eke Ochie, Eke Ichi Market, and Orie otube Market.
- Arts and crafts: Works of art produced in the area include carved doors, walking sticks of different designs, sculptures, flutes, wooden mortars and pestles, gongs, and the famous talking drums. Metal works and various types of productions are locally fashioned.
- Roban Stores, Nnewi-Nnobi Road, Umuemele Street, (close to Save the Lost Mission Inc.). Roban Stores is the leading shopping mall in Nigeria with several branch locations where they sell a huge selections of items that range from grocery, cosmetics, toiletries, food, clothing, stationary, to sporting equipment.
- Goodness and Mercy Supermarket, 4, Nneobi Road, ☏ .
- O' Angels Supermarket, 4, Uzodike Road, Okpuno Otolo, ☏ . They offer in-store shopping.
- Mama Chy Wholesale Supermarket, 19 Ezenwegbu Road, Okpunor Road, Off Jide Offor Road, ☏ . 24 hours. Grocery items, fast-moving consumer goods and provisions.
- Nnewi Orie Agbor Market, Chief Izundu Road, By Edo Ezemiwi, Abubor Area, Nnewichi, ☏ . Nnewi Orie Agbor Market is a public market where people can buy all kings of Nigerian food stuff inclusive of garri, rice, red/vegetable oil, vegetables and fresh farm produce among any others.
- Gmart Stores (Gmart limited), 3 Metu Bishop Uzodike Street, Nnobi Road, Opuno - Otolo, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. They offer in-store shopping.
- His Glory Plaza, 51 Edo-Ezemewi Road Abubor, Nnewichi, Nnewi north, ☏ . In-store shopping.
Several fast food chains such as Mr Bigg's, Ever Fresh, Kitchen De Royale (KDR), Gracia salad, N.K. Salad, Chicken Legacy, and Milky Chunky are found in Nnewi. There is also a variety of local restaurants offering a variety of continental & Igbo dishes, indoor and outdoor catering services.
- 1 Evergreen Fast Food LTD, Nnewi-Nnobi Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM-8:30PM. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 2 Mayan Foods, 99,Igwe orizu Rd, ☏ . Takeaway. Delivery.
- 3 Pallet Restaurant, Owerri Rd. Dine-in. Takeaway. No contact delivery.
- 4 Chicken Legacy, Owerri Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM-8:30PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 5 food.com Tetrazzini Food, 77, old Onitsha Rd,1st Mag Junction, Near specialist Hospital,420001, ☏ . Daily 9AM-10PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 6 Mr Bigg's, Old ibeto bank Building, old Onitsha Rd, toll-free: . Daily 10AM-6PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 7 Golden Garden, Ikejiaku Street, Okpuno, Otolo. A restaurant where contemporary Nigerian dishes are sold.
- 1 Executive Golden Nugget Hotel & Suites. A hospitable hotel in a calm environment providing services in local dishes and drinks.
- Chunique Royal Hotel & Suites, 14 Afam Ofordeme Street Umudim, Okpunoegbu, ☏ , email@example.com. Luxurious accommodation, banqueting and conferencing facilities.
- De Next Centre Hotel & Suites, Km 27 New Oba-Nnewi Okigwe Road, ☏ , Johnniexzibit@gmail.com. Pocket-friendly lodging accommodation in their deluxe suites, standard and platinum rooms; restaurant, and bar service while taking proactive steps to ensure the safety of every guest.
- Glamour Park Hotel and Suites, Akaboukwu Bus-Stop Old Onitsha Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Executive rooms and royal suites, a bar, restaurant, and nightclub.
- The Nnewi Hotel and Events Centre, 1 Eden Rise off the Nnewi Hotel Road, Akaboezem Uruagu, ☏ , email@example.com. Restaurant and bar, accommodation, gym center, CCTV security, recreation parks and lots more.
- The Seymour Hotel, Plot 44 Nnobi Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. An indoor bar, luxurious rooms, a lounge, a restaurant, and many more amenities to make guests' stays as comfortable as possible.
- BetheEgol Suites, 8 Metuh Street, Nnewi-Nnobi Road, Nnewi, Anambra State, ☏ . A convenient location, stunning rooms and suites with state-of-the-art amenities for the comfort of guests.
- Calido Fine Hotel, 50 Eme-Court Road, Okpunoegbu Umudim, ☏ , email@example.com. Premium food, deluxe accommodation, drinks and beverages, laundry, bar and restaurant.
- Cinnamon Hotel (Cinnamon Suites), 114 Nnewi-Nnobi Road, After Capital Junction (behind Peno Filling Station), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. With a lounge and club house that provides guests with an affordable place to stay and a complimentary food service.
For most locations in Nnewi, there is coverage of the 2G/3G/4G mobile networks, but signal strength usually diminishes further away from the city center, and you might occasionally experience network outage for all or some of the mobile phone service providers in the remote areas of the city. Different networks tend to be more stable and reliable in different locations of the city at different times.
If you are planning a visit to Nnewi, like many other places in Nigeria, you should probably consider having multiple SIM cards, preferably for all the mobile service providers, since you can't tell which will be more stable and reliable at a time in your location during your visit. And if you will risk not having any of them, you might be better off not risking the MTN network, because, from indications, it seem to perform well than the others, though its rates may be high and its offers and services might be stringent, but you are less likely to be concerned of erratic voice and data connection compared to others.