North Andover, Massachusetts is a small town located just 30 miles north of Boston. The town is in Essex County in the northeastern part of Massachusetts on the banks of the Merrimack River and approximately 24 miles from Boston. North Andover is bordered by Andover, North Reading, Boxford, and Middleton and the cities of Methuen, Haverhill, and Lawrence - covering almost 27 square miles. With a population of almost 30,000, an elected five-member Board of Selectmen oversees the governance of the Town. The town has five elementary schools, Middle School, North Andover High School, and St. Michael School, grades pre-k through 8. It also has a full-time police and fire service.
Interesting fact: North Andover was selected by Money Magazine in 2003 as the “Fifth Best Community to live in on the East Coast”.
The Town of North Andover is easily accessed by Rt. 93, Rt. 495, Rt. 133, Rt. 114, and Rt. 125.
The Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority (MVRTA),public transportation service. The MVRTA serves the northeast corner of Massachusetts with over 1 million miles of city, suburban, interurban, and rural scheduled bus routes.
There are 3 stops in North Andover. Check out Mvrta.com for updated schedules and bus stops.
There are endless things to do in North Andover, with a number of restaurants, parks, play grounds, shops, stores, there is something for everyone.
If you drive down Rt 114 you will find places to shop. The North Andover Mall includes: TJMaxx, Kohls, Fashion Bug and Payless Shoe Store, if you keep on travelling down Rt 114 going towards Middleton you will find a newly built shopping mall on your right with stores like Pier 1 Imports, J Jill, a sporting goods store, Yankee Candle, Staples, CVS, Brooks, and soon to come Walgreens and PETCO.
On Main Street you will find several small gift shops.
If you are looking for a mall, The Mall at Rockingham Park is a 15 minute drive up Rt 93 North, The Northshore Mall is located 15 minutes west down Rt. 114, and The Loop, located in Methuen right off of Rt. 213 is a 5 minute drive away from North Andover and has stores like DSW Shoe store, Ann Taylor Loft, Gap, Old Navy, Borders Book Store, Marshalls, Wal-Mart.
- Harrison's Roastbeef, Chickering Road. is a long time and local favorite. Ask any local where you'll find the best roast beef sandwich and without a doubt they will say Harrisons. Don't let the long lines at lunch turn you away, the line moves fast and is well worth the wait.
- The China Blossom, one of the Merrimack Valleys oldest Chinese restaurants, is on Rt 125. The restaurant offers a daily buffet for lunch and dinner or you can order from the menu. It has a full bar and comedy and karaoke on the weekends.
- Like pizza? voted best pizza in town Sal's Pizza, located on Rt. 125 and Chickering Road. A large pizza will cost you about $11 but it is well worth it.
Rolf's Bar is a town favorite local right on Main Street. Open until we hours of the morning with lunch menu offered on the weekends.
Cheap beer? Go to the Knights of Columbus, located on Sutton Street. Here you can get $1 bottles, play Keno, watch a game, and have a good time
- Wyndham Andover, 123 Old River Rd. 293 rooms, 5 floors.
- Courtyard by Marriott Andover, 10 Campanelli Dr. 146 rooms, 3 floors.
- Holiday Inn Express Andover, 224 Winthrop Ave., ☏ . 126 rooms, 5 floors.
- If you like to hike, Weir Hill, entrance on Stevens street, a part of the Trustees of Reservations in Massachusetts is located right in town. The Hill looks over Lake Cochichewick, pronounced "wire hill" by locals is a great place to get out and explore. It includes: four miles of trails for moderate hiking. Printed trail maps are distributed free from the bulletin board in the parking area.
- If swimming is your thing, then go to Stevens Pond, it opens on Memorial Day weekend and is closed on Labor Day weekend. To access the pond you must have a pass, which can be purchased at the Town Hall.
|Routes through North Andover|
|Salisbury ← Lawrence ←||N S||→ Andover → Lowell|
|Ends at ← Lawrence ←||W E||→ Middleton → Danvers|
|Rochester ← Haverhill ←||N S||→ Andover → Wilmington|
|Lowell ← Andover ←||W E||→ Boxford → Georgetown|