North Valley is the northern region of the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. It is made up of the neighborhoods of Arleta, Granada Hills, Lakeview Terrace, Mission Hills, Northridge, North Hills, Pacoima, Panorama City, Sun Valley, Sunland, Sylmar, Tujunga, and the city of San Fernando.
North Hills is mainly residential but has a few sites of minor note including the Sepulveda Unitarian-Universalist Society (nicknamed 'The Onion' for its appearance) and Bull Creek (where the motorcycle chase scene in Terminator 2 was filmed). North Hills has a deserved reputation as one of the Valley's major gang hotspots. Although generally safe during the day, exercise caution in this area at night.
Get in Edit
Interstate 5, the 405 Freeway, and I-210 run north-south through the area, with the 5 and 405 linking to Valley neighborhoods south while the 210 runs along the foothills to the San Gabriel Valley. CA-118 is a major east-west freeway that links the San Fernando and North Hills neighborhoods to those to the west, such as Northridge.
Metrolink commuter trains serve the area. Northridge has a stop at 8775 Wilbur Ave along the weekday Ventura County Line, while the Sun Valley and Sylmar/San Fernando stops are served by the daily Antelope Valley Line. Metro offers bus service through the area.
Get around Edit
- 1 Mission San Fernando Rey de España, 15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd (on San Fernando Mission Blvd between Interstates 5 and 405), ☏ . 9AM-4:30PM. Founded in 1797 by Fermin Lasuen, this historic complex has a church and museum and is the 17th of California's 21 Spanish Missions. One of the few missions established after there had been significant development in the region. The Convento building (built in 1822) is apparently the largest adobe structure in California. Following a 1971 earthquake, the mission was restored in 1974. Bob Hope is buried in the memorial garden next to the church, and in the adjacent cemetery are buried Richie Valens and many other Hollywood celebrities who were Catholic. $4.
- 2 The Nethercutt Collection, 15151 Bledsoe St, ☏ . 9AM-4:30PM. The Nethercutt Collection is best known as an automotive museum (one of the five best in the United States according to Autoweek), but it also has collections of mechanical musical instruments and antique furniture, as well as two older-model railroad cars. Free.
- Theodore Payne Foundation for Wild Flowers and Native Plants, ☏ . The non-profit organization is the largest nursery devoted exclusively to California native plants in Los Angeles County, with more than 500 native species and a seed store with more than 500 species available. The organization operates an annual wildflower hotline by ☏ and website that lists wildflower sites throughout California. It also hosts an annual Fall Festival with speakers, exhibits and a plant sale. The organization also organizes an annual garden tour that features home gardens that are 50% or more native throughout the Los Angeles Basin.
- 3 Vida Church (formerly Sepulveda Unitarian Universalist Society) (The Onion), 9550 Haskell Ave. North Hills, ☏ . Local landmark from the 1960s. Many events are held here from many different cultural and religious traditions.
- Bull Creek (around the intersection with Hayvenhurst and Plummer). Where the motorcycle and semi truck chase scenes from Terminator 2 where filmed. The flood canal is not open to the public but can be viewed from sidewalks.
- 4 California State University Northridge, 18111 Nordhoff St. The sprawling campus with its art galleries, botanical gardens, much-filmed library (Sky High, Star Trek, etc.), and one of the last remaining orange groves in the Valley.
- 1 Northridge Fashion Center, 9301 Tampa Ave. A large indoor shopping mall anchored by Sears, Macy's, and JC Penney. There are also many businesses around it including Best Buy and Guitar Center.
- Tommy's, 15745 Roscoe Blvd, North Hills. 24 hours. Popular chain of SoCal fast food joints known for their chili-cheese burgers and chili-cheese fries. Open 24 hours.
- Pollo Campero, 9000 Sepulveda Blvd, North Hills. Popular Latin American fast food chain featuring chicken, yuca fries, beans, and plantains.
- Cupid's Hot Dogs, 9039 Lindley Ave.. Popular hot dog stand since the 1960s.
- Galleria Market, 10201 Reseda Blvd, ☏ . A really nice Korean market that has a food court with many delicious foods to choose from.
- India Sweets & Spices, 18110 Parthenia St., ☏ . Vegetarian Indian, authentic Indian market and café.
- In N Out Burger, 9858 Balboa Blvd. Famous chain of Southern California burger drive-ins. Open to 1AM (1:30AM on Fridays and Saturdays).
- Shik Do Rak, 18434 Devonshire St, ☏ . Daily 11AM-10PM. A delicious and fun Korean BBQ place.
- Italia bakery and deli, 11134 Balboa Blvd, ☏ . A cute little Italian deli with some of the best sausage sandwiches around.
- The Pizza Cookery, 10371 Balboa Blvd, ☏ . Try the garlic rolls! Vegan, Vegetarian, and gluten-free menus are available.
- The Bear Pit, 10825 Sepulveda Blvd, ☏ . Delicious BBQ, tater tots and garlic toast.
- Casa de Pizza, 16161 San Fernando Mission Blvd, ☏ . Open for dinner every night Tu-Su and lunch Tu-F, closed on Mondays. Family-run pizzeria serving hearty Italian fare in a quaint dining room devoted to Frank Sinatra. $11-30.
- Norwood, 16200 Nordhoff St, North Hills, ☏ . Slightly upscale neighborhood lounge with karaoke and live music on some nights.
- Witches Brew Cocktail Lounge, 16151 Parthenia St, North Hills, ☏ . Daily 6AM-2AM. Neighborhood bar that is witch-themed.
Most accommodations in this area are cheap motels or those of the chain variety. Sepulveda Boulevard in North Hills, in particular, is lined with cheap motels, many of which used to cater to prostitution and drug activity but claim to have cleaned up. Stay at them with low expectations.
- Travelodge Sylmar, 14955 Roxford St, ☏ . A basic chain hotel in Sylmar with free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, and an outdoor pool and hot tub.
Go next Edit
Pasadena- 210 East. About 20 minutes away with no traffic.
Simi Valley- 118 West. About 30 minutes away, depending on traffic.
Los Angeles- 5 South. Between 25 minutes and 1 hour away.
Make sure to allow lots of time during weekdays.
Santa Monica- 405 South to 10 West. About 30 minutes away, depending on traffic.
Lancaster- 5 North to 14 North. About 1 hour away.
Valencia- 5 North. About 15 minutes away.
|Routes through North Valley|
|Sacramento ← Valencia ←||N S||→ Burbank → Downtown L.A.|
|Ends at ←||W E||→ La Cañada Flintridge → Pasadena|
|Merge with ←||N S||→ Van Nuys → West L.A.|
|Ventura ← Chatsworth ←||W E||→ Ends at|
|END ←||N S||→ North Hollywood → Downtown L.A. via|