Northern Michigan should not be confused with the Upper Peninsula. Although a bit inaccurate, the term "Northern Michigan" is used to refer to only the northern portion of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan... the "fingers" of that mitten-shaped body of land.
Northern Michigan is popular for its outdoor recreation opportunities, including Michigan's premiere ski slopes, hunting, fishing, golf courses, and beaches.
|Grand Traverse Bay Area |
the pinky and ring finger
|Mackinac Area |
the tip of the middle finger
|Northeastern Michigan |
the index finger
- 1 Arcadia
- 2 Alpena-- Home of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve
- 3 Bay Harbor - Luxurious Destination situated on five miles of Lake Michigan shoreline
- 4 Cadillac
- 5 Cheboygan
- 6 Charlevoix -- Charming coastal city with vast waterfront and unique homes
- 7 Frankfort
- 8 Gladwin -- Where The North Begins
- 9 Grayling
- 10 Honor
- 11 Harbor Springs -- Home to two ski resorts, Nub's Nob, and Boyne Highlands
- 12 Mackinaw City -- Less expensive, modern alternative to staying on Mackinac Island
- 13 Petoskey
- 14 Reed City
- 15 Traverse City -- Home of the National Cherry Festival - Traverse City Film Festival
- The Mackinac Bridge - known as the "Mighty Mac" or (against the wishes of a certain burger merchant) "Big Mac", is a suspension bridge spanning the Straits of Mackinac to connect the non-contiguous Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan.
- Fort Michilimackinac - Founded in 1715 as a French fur-trading village and military outpost, Michilimackinac was later occupied by the British who abandoned it in 1780 to establish a new fort on Mackinac Island. What you see today on this site is a reconstruction of how the fortified village appeared in the 1770s, based on evidence gathered during the nation's longest archaeological excavation.
- Polish Art Center, 8994 South Kasson Street (In Cedar, which is twenty (20) miles from Traverse City), ☏ . Monday through Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm ET; Sunday 12:00am - 4:00pm ET.
- Fred's Cosmic Bowling and Restaurant. Restaurant, Bowling, Bar, Catering and Party Hall. 989-275-6565.