Northwestern Indiana is in Indiana.
This area deals with plenty of traffic thanks to Chicago, so be prepared for occasional delays. I-65N heads in from Chicago, I-94S heads in from Michigan. I-90/80 is also part tollroad that heads east/west through the area. I-65S heads north through the area from central Indiana.
- Gary - 100 W. 4th Ave. +1 219 886-3041
- Hammond - 3600 Calumet. +1 219 933-6700
- Michigan City - Always Business Services, 132 Dunes Plaza (Hwy 421 & 20). +1 219 879-5050
- Gary/Chicago International Airport, 6001 W. Industrial Highway., ☏ .
- Pierogi Fest, Whiting, IN. The street is only open to foot traffic during the festival. There are food booths set up along the streets. The main attraction is walking up and down the street tasting food from the many different food vendors, listening to live bands playing, visiting the beer garden, or riding some carnival rides. - Late July.
Lake Perch is a local favorite that a traveler isn't going to find outside the Great Lakes regions. That being said, several locations in Northwest Indiana serve quality lake perch fresh from the Great Lakes.
- Teibel's Family Restaurant, 1775 U.S. 41, Schererville, IN 46375. Excellent lake perch and fried chicken. Loved by locals.
- Johnson's Fish & Shrimp, 2619 Central Avenue, Lake Station, IN 46405, ☏ . One of the best kept secrets in Northwest Indiana, this gem serves up excellent gulf shrimp and lake perch.
- The Beach Café, 903 N. Shelby, Gary, IN, ☏ . Ownership of this restaurant has changed a couple of times, but the new owners are still offering the variety of seafood including the well known boned and buttered lake perch.
- The New Country Lounge, 3700 Montgomery Street Hobart, IN 46342, ☏ . They also offer excellent lake perch, but the real gem of this restaurant is their shrimp dejonghe, "Jumbo white gulf shrimp broiled in a special butter crumb and garlic sauce".