There are two sides of travel to Ocna Sibiului. There is the vacation at the luxury hotel and resort, Complex Balnear, and there is the day at the salt lakes. No matter how long you plan to stay in Ocna Sibiului you can enjoy the rejuvenating effects of Romania’s salt lakes while relaxing in the sun.
The lakes are a product of abandoned salt mines that were abandoned as far back as the 1700s. The lakes developed during the 1700s and became known to the public in the early 1800s. The resort was opened at Ocna Sibiului in 1858. There are three salt lakes: Horia, Closca and Crisan. One of the more popular lakes known as “the bottomless lake” has been designated a natural monument. It’s given that name for the opacity of the waters, which give the lake the illusion of being bottomless. The opacity of the water also creates a great heliothermic effect, meaning that the water traps the sun’s heat leaving the water a comfortably warm temperature. When you are submerged in the lake you can’t even see your hand under the waters.
Get in Edit
Ocna Sibiului is 15 km from Sibiu and can be reached
Get around Edit
- Of course, many visitors come to Ocna Sibiului to enjoy the salt lakes. The lakes are believed to have natural healing properties. Many people come to the salt lakes as a way to treat arthritis. There are also stands along the lakes where you can buy a cup of therapeutic mud called “namol,” which is said to have many curative effects. The resort also offers a wide range of treatments such as hydrotherapy, electrotherapy, and thermotherapy.
- Mud packing, aerosols treatments and salt water baths in the lakes have been used here successfully in the treatment of rheumatic, dermatological, endocrine and gynecological afflictions, as well as asthma.
- It’s recommended to arrive early, before all the reclining chairs are in use. If you arrive around 11:00, you take the risk that none will be available.
- If you rub yourself with mud, you’ll have to shower at the locker rooms before going into the regular lakes (Or you’ll be scolded). It’s recommended to come with a bathing suit already on.
Eat & Drink Edit
- There are many food and dessert stalls, such as crepe and ice-cream and areas with prepared food.
- There is a drinks bar you can get a fresh squeezed juice, beer, warm dishes, soup, crepes. Reasonably priced.