- 1 Sibiu — a compact city with German flair, medieval charm, excellent views of the surrounding landscapes, great food, and stunning parkland
- 2 Biertan — one of the most important Saxon villages with fortified churches in Transylvania, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 3 Dumbrăveni — it has a massive Armenian Catholic Church, built between 1766-1791
- 4 Mediaș — one of the best preserved historical centres in Romania and also some well preserved medieval fortifications
- 5 Ocna Sibiului — popular for the rejuvenating effects of its salt lakes
Other destinations Edit
Sibiu County used to have a large Saxon (German) population, but they accounted for only 1% of the population in 2011. Over 90% of the country's residents are ethnic Romanians.
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
Sibiu International Airport is served by daily flights from Bucharest, Dortmund, London, Madrid, Memmingen, Munich, Nuremberg, Stuttgart and Vienna.
By car Edit
- E81 Satu Mare - Zalău - Cluj - Sebeș -Sibiu- Râmnicu Vâlcea - Pitești
- E68 Arad - Deva - Sebeș -Sibiu- Făgăraș - Brașov
- DN1 Bucharest - Ploiești - Brașov -Sibiu- Alba Iulia - Cluj - Oradea
- DN7 Bucharest - Râmnicu Vâlcea -Sibiu- Deva - Arad
- DN14 Sibiu- Sighișoara
By train Edit
Trains arrive in Sibiu from Vințu de Jos, Braşov, Râmnicu Vâlcea, Copșa Mică, and Agnita.
Get around Edit
The main tourist attractions in the county are:
- The city of Sibiu with its medieval fortifications and its historic centre
- The medieval city of Mediaș
- The medieval Saxon fortified churches and villages from Transylvania, some of them being UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Biertan, Valea Viilor, Cisnădie, Cisnădioara, Slimnic, amd Agnita
- The Făgăraș Mountains
- The Bâlea Valley and the Transfăgărășan road
- The Negoiu Peak
- Păltiniș mountain resort and the Cindrel Mountains
- Ocna Sibiului, Bazna and Miercurea Sibiului Spa towns
- The Mărginimea Sibiului rural area
- 1 Cârța Monastery (Mănăstirea Cârța). Ruins of the former Cistercian monastery, founded 1202-1206 by monks from Igriș abbey and disbanded in 1494.
- 2 Interethnic Museum of the Hârtibaciu Valley (Muzeul Interetnic al Văii Hârtibaciului), Alțâna, ☏ .
- 3 The Fortified Church of Alțâna (Biserica fortificată din Alțâna).
- 4 Old Mill (Moara Veche), Hosman, ☏ . May-Sep: M-Sa 12:00-16:00.
- 5 The Fortified Church of Hosman (Biserica fortificată din Hosman).