Two hundred thousand people live in Oxnard, Ventura County's largest city.
Metrolink provides commuter rail from Los Angeles via the San Fernando Valley, making Oxnard accessible by rail. Via Coast Starlight — which runs from Seattle to Los Angeles via San Francisco — and Pacific Surfliner — which goes from San Luis Obispo to San Diego — you can receive long-distance services.
1 Oxnard Transit Center is at 201 East Fourth Street.
Gold Coast Transit serves Oxnard, Port Hueneme and Ventura. Bus service is limited. Their phone number is: +1 805-487-4222.
- Plaza Park (where 5th Street & C Street meet — central Oxnard). Various events are hosted during the year, and there are retail shops, restaurants, a movie theater, and a museum in the vicinity.
- 1 Carnegie Art Museum. There are quarterly exhibit changes and portions of the permanent collection are displayed periodically. The museum is closed between the exhibits for art installation.
- Heritage Square, 715 S A St, ☏ , toll-free: . Oxnard's cultural, agricultural, and historical heritage comes alive in this block in downtown. There are replicated and original historical buildings. Buildings have been moved from other parts of Oxnard to this square, and collectively, these relocated and restored structures are known as Heritage Square. The square and grounds serve as a setting for professional offices, community theatre, weddings, visitor center, special events, and meetings.
- Murphy Auto Museum, 2230 Statham Blvd., ☏ . Sat-Sun 10AM-4PM.
- Petit Playhouse. A local theatre where you can see a play or production.
- Gull Wings Children's Museum, 418 West Forth St, ☏ . Provides kids an interactive, hands-on experience. Children ages two through twelve can explore a geological area, pretend to shop at a farmer's market, learn about x-rays in the medical room, or "pet" underwater creatures in the ocean touch tank.
- Ventura County Maritime Museum, 2731 S. Victoria Ave, ☏ . Two of the largest collections of antique sailing ship models in the United States are on display. Seven rare bone models made by French prisoners-of-war-in the 18th century sit regally under glass. Maritime art adorn the walls, giving an all encompassing seafaring encounter.
- Channel Islands National Park - While the park is close to mainland California, it is worlds apart from its neighbor. The park encompasses five remarkable islands (Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, San Miguel, and Santa Barbara) and their ocean environment; consequently, many natural and cultural resources are preserved and protected here. Over thousands of years, isolation has created unique plants, animals, and archeological resources found nowhere else on Earth and helped preserve a place where visitors can experience coastal southern California as it once was. Take a ferry or boat ride from Oxnard's Channel Islands Harbor in order to reach Channel Islands National Park.
- Whale Watching Tour - Usually from late December to the end of April. Take a whale watching tour from Oxnard's Channel Islands Harbor and have a chance to see the annual Grey Whale migration. You may be even able to spot all 28 species of whales and dolphins that have been identified along the Ventura County coast line.
- Dallas Cowboys Training Camp. Late July to Mid August. Dallas Cowboys Training Camp has been held in Oxnard since the summer of 2004. Have the opportunity to meet the players, get autographs, and take pictures with the super bowl trophy.
- California Strawberry Festival, 3250 South Rose Ave (Strawberry Meadows of College Park located in Oxnard Community College), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Third weekend of May. With live musical entertainment, over 300 Arts & Crafts, 50 food booths with yummy berry favorites, gooey contests, the Strawberry Promenade, Star Berry Hunt, Strawberryland For Kids, and more, it's the perfect celebration of the region's agricultural heritage with proceeds benefiting more than 40 Southland charities.
- Oxnard Salsa Festival, 500 S. C St. (Plaza Park), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Last weekend of July. A two-day celebration of everything salsa – the food, the music, and the dance. Experience spicy food, hot music and Oxnard's cool ocean breezes. Make sure you go to the "Salsa Tasting Tent" where you can try dozens of different salsas – from mild to wild – dished up by local restaurants and salsa vendors. Events include 5K and 10K run.
- Heritage Square Summer Concerts, 715 S. A St, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , ✉ HeritageSquare@aol.com. June–August F 6PM-8PM. Often described as "the Hollywood Bowl of Oxnard" - one of Ventura County's most enjoyable outdoor entertainment experiences with styles ranging from reggae to swing and from country to rock'n'roll.
- Channel Islands Harbor's Annual Fine Arts Festival, 2741 Victoria Ave., ☏ , ✉ CIHarborVisitors@ventura.org. Mid July. The event features original works of art consisting of acrylics, etchings, photography, oils, watercolors and sculptures. Visitors also are able to choose from a number of high-quality crafts, including ceramics, stained glass, woodcrafts, jewelry and gift items. Free.
- Festival of Sail. Held in Early August at Oxnard's Channel Islands Harbor. Tall Ships from around the world converge on Channel Islands Harbor in a magnificent display of seafaring power and beauty. Stroll harborside and enjoy these beautiful ships close up, or climb aboard to explore the decks and hear first hand their history. You even have the opportunity to be part of a sea-battle re-enactment.
- Harbor Landing Beach Festival. Held in Late August at Oxnard's Channel Islands Harbor. The Harbor Landing Beach Festival is a free event for everyone. Featuring live entertainment and DJ, fashion show, BBQ buffet, vendors, raffle prizes, and more. Nestled in the Channel Island Harbor Landing off of Peninsula and Channel Island Boulevard.
- Oxnard Independent Film Festival. Held in Late September. Event included seven days of screening independent films, such as short films, animation, student films, features, docs, and more. Following the closing night film, the festival continuous at a restaurant in Plaza Park, to announce the year's best of awards. Note that anyone can submit a film at a shoot for screening his or her film by going to the festival website.
- Multicultural Festival. Held in Early October. The Multicultural Festival is held annually at Plaza Park, in the heart of the City of Oxnard for the sole purpose of celebrating the rich diversity of its residents. Peoples of every culture come together to learn and discover their shared values, in an atmosphere that honors all. Food vendors, offering a variety of ethnic foods, bring to the community an explosion of aromas and flavors, from places far and near, to make anyone's mouth water.
- Jesse's El Taco de Mexico, 120 W 7th Street.. This hole-in-the-wall has the best burritos anywhere. Try their steak (asada) burritos.
- Topper's Pizza Place. This local pizzeria chain is found throughout Ventura County and it is known for its delicious pizza. Try their Canadian bacon/ham pizza, it's incredible.
- Taqueria El Tapatio, 421 S Ventura Rd, ☏ . Authentic Mexican food specializing in taste of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. Very good, non-greasy carne asada, thick beans, fluffy rice, and rich aguas. Establishment is very clean, and service bar staff is very courteous. Casual dining at its best. Second location on Ventura Rd and 5th street is even better. Wheelchair accessible.
- The Whale's Tail, 3950 Bluefin Circle. This restaurant is on the water in Channel Islands Harbor. Large plate-glass windows provide spectacular views of schooners and fishing boats. Fresh oysters on the half-shell, buffalo shrimp, and salad Louie are just a few of the tasty treats. The Sunday Brunch Buffet includes free-flowing champagne.
- Capistrano's, 2101 Mandalay Beach Rd.. Inside the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel in Oxnard. Amid the terra-style architecture, this restaurant welcomes diners with upscale cuisine and elegant atmosphere. Following an appetizer of shrimp-shitake ravioli or roasted vegetable tart, look to Maine lobster with white truffle oil risotto, jumbo diver sea scallops, or oven-roasted lamb shank for a main course. Additional temptations include braised veal osso buco, seared ahi tuna, and grilled Atlantic salmon. A wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion.
- Chai's Thai Cuisine, 2148 Saviers Rd.. Traditional Thai recipes come to life at this small strip-mall favorite. Don't be put off by the unassuming exterior; a pleasant dining room and spacious patio are concealed within. A wealth of appetizers, soups, salads, and tasty chef-recommended specialties delight hungry diners.
- Mrs. Olson's Coffee Hut, 117 Los Altos Drive, ☏ . Voted one of the 59 best breakfasts locations in America by Esquire Magazine. Park your bike by the berms of sand blown from Hollywood Beach down the street. Sit at the counter — always the counter — among the regulars from the Navy base. Observe the patriotic murals and the collection of American flags, five of which have flown over Iraq. Then order one of the bazooka-sized breakfast burritos, or the French toast with cool strawberries, or the huevos rancheros with their soft chunks of tomatoes and jalapeños. Ask for the home fries, the thick ones grilled all morning in paprika, garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, and probably some other stuff.
- Best Western PLUS Oxnard Inn & Suites, 1156 S Oxnard Blvd, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Complimentary continental breakfast, pet friendly, 24hr fitness Facility, jacuzzi suites, outdoor pool & hot tub, meeting rooms, banquet facilities, free parking.
- Casa Sirena Hotel, 3605 Peninsula Rd, ☏ .
- Courtyard Oxnard Ventura, 600 East Esplanade Dr, ☏ , fax: . Located on the Strawberry Coast, near Naval Base Ventura County at Port Hueneme and Point Mugu.
- Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, 3231 Peninsula Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- 1 Homewood Suites by Hilton, 1950 Solar Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. An all suite hotel equipped with full kitchens and free high-speed Internet. Complimentary amenities include a hot breakfast, a light dinner with beverages (Monday-Thursday), and wireless Internet throughout the hotel.
- Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, 2101 West Vineyard Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Vagabond Inn Oxnard, 1245 N. Oxnard Blvd., ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon.
- McGrath State Beach Campground, 2211 N Harbor Blvd. (1.2 miles south of Olivas Park Dr.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM. Don't expect privacy if camping at McGrath. The spaces are small and packed close together with room for little more than a parking space, a table, and a fire pit. Tents are pitched in large meadow areas behind the campsites with no demarcation between sites. If you have a couple of large groups near each other, you may need to negotiate for places to pitch tents. Also note that a shift in the coastal dunes has resulted in flooding of the rear areas of the campground so getting to the beach is impossible from the campground and the flooding created marshes in the rear meadow areas. Some of the campsites at the back will also experience intermittent flooding so try to avoid those. $35.
- Ventura - Located on the coast 8 miles north of Oxnard, Ventura is home to many interesting shops, the historic Mission San Buenaventura, and is the gateway for excursions to the Channel Islands National Park.
|Routes through Oxnard|
|Santa Barbara ← Ventura ←||N S||→ Camarillo → Los Angeles|
|Santa Barbara ← Ventura ← Merges with ←||N S||→ Malibu → Long Beach|
|Santa Barbara ← Ventura ←||N S||→ Camarillo → Los Angeles|