Ozamiz is a city of 142,000 people (2015) in Misamis Occidental. Ozamiz is the center for commerce, health, transportation, and education in this part of Mindanao.
The city has good harbor location, its local port is the principal outlet of mineral deposits, agricultural and forest products of the provinces of Misamis Occidental, Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Maguindanao, parts of Lanao del Norte, and Lanao del Sur.
The city of Ozamiz grew out of an old Spanish town called Misamis. Misamis developed because of the Spanish garrison stationed at the stone fort called Nuestra Senora dela Concepcion del Triunfo, which was built some time in the 18th century to control the pirate activities in the nearby Lanao area. In 1850, the town of Misamis became the capital of the District of Misamis.
In October 1942 Wendell Fertig established the command headquarters of the growing guerrilla resistance to the Japanese occupation of Mindanao in the Spanish fort in the city. His headquarters was abandoned June 1943, in the face of a large Japanese attack. Until the end of the war the Japanese occupied this fort.
After the Second World War, Misamis was renamed Misamis to "Ozamiz" after a World War II hero, José Ozámiz, who hailed from the province of Misamis Occidental and who at one time also served as its governor and congressional representative of the Lone District of Misamis Occidental, a delegate to the 1935 Constitutional Convention that resulted in the creation of the 1935 Constitution for the Philippine Commonwealth Government. In 1941, José Ozámiz was elected to the Philippine Senate.
- 2GO Travel have a ferry going to and from Manila via Iligan and Cebu.
- Cokaliong Shipping Lines have a ferry 5 times a week which goes to and from Cebu and Iligan.
- TransAsia shipping lines go to and from Cebu.
- The Ozamiz to Mukas Ferry cost ₱25 + port fee ₱5.
- Philippines airlines - Manila, Cebu.
- Cebu Pacific - Manila, Cebu.
- Rural Transit is the bus line out of Ozamiz
- The bus/ferry fare to Iligan is from ₱100.
- The bus fare to Dipolog is from ₱185.
- There are also buses from Ozamiz to Pagadian for ₱90.
- If you're in downtown Ozamiz you can use the Ozamiz-Mukas ferry then get on a bus from the bus stop in Mukas. The bus from Mukas to Iligan goes every 30 min and costs ₱70.
Tricycle, anywhere in the city ₱8-15, is a cheap way to get around.
- Birhen sa Cotta, near port area. Catholics believe that the Virgin Mary at Cotta's shrine showed a miracle during the Spanish era, and ever since people have gone to this place for prayers, blessings, and wishes.
- Cotta Fortress, near port area. An old Spanish war defensive fortress. 5 per person.
- 1 Dolphin Island at Misamis Occidental Aquamarine Park, Sinacaban, Misamis Occidental. Located in the shallow seas but far from beaches, Dolphin Island is a great place to enjoy swimming, dolphin watching and feeding, fish feeding, and snorkeling. A boat ride to the island can be taken at Misamis Occidental Aquamarine Park (MOAP), Tudela, Misamis Occidental.
Events and festivalsEdit
- The feast of Our Lady of Triumph of the Cross at Cotta Shrine is celebrated every July 16 which is also the Charter City anniversary. Subayan Keg Subanon festival is also held on the same day. The Cotta entertainment area has free live band concerts and other musical variety shows each weekend. Fireworks displays are held at Cotta during Fiesta and holidays. It can be seen across Panguil bay as far as Lanao del Norte.
- The feast of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception is celebrated every December 8.
- On the 4th Sunday of January is the Sr. Santo Nino Fluvial Parade held at Panguil Bay.
- Balanghoy Festival is held annually at Cotta area.
- City Mall, Ozamiz-Oroquieta National Highway. 9am-9pm.
Shopping malls & supermarketsEdit
- Geege Megamall, Robinsons Supermarket, Burgos street, Vicente ostia avenue. 10AM-8PM. Has a McDonald's and a cinema.
- [formerly dead link] Gaisano Capital Mall & Gaisano Supermarket., Port road and Rizal avenue., ☏ . 10AM-8PM. The biggest mall in Ozamiz.
- Untop Capistrano street. 9AM-8PM. low cost store.
- La Veranda Restaurant, Royal Garden Hotel, Burgos corner Zamora St, ☏ . Serves Filipino specialties and Chinese dishes in a relaxing atmosphere with greenery and white latticework.
- Moon Cafe, Jose P. Rizal St.. Serves Mexican foods, pizzas, steaks, sizzlers, etc.
- Chicken Ati-atihan, Circumferencial road cor. Don A. Bernard Ave. Locally known for their grilled foods with unlimited rice.
- Calda Pizza, Gaisano Southwing, Port Road. Serves great pizzas, some of which are more than 20 inches in diameter.
- Shanghai Boy. The restaurant is locally known for Chinese food.
- Cermels Restaurant, Ledesma street extension. 8AM-6PM.
- Gat's, Don A. Bernard Ave.
- Naomi’s Botanical Garden and Tourist Inn, Barangay Banadero, ☏ . The garden has now become one of Ozamiz’s attractions. The nursery of Naomi’s Botanical Garden has grown to become one of the biggest supplier of plants used for landscaping in Mindanao. The environment afforded by the greenery surrounding the building has made it a favorite venue for different community activities, conferences and weddings. It now has three reception halls for these events.
- 67th Boulevard Pension House, Cebedo St. (in front of Banco de Oro), ☏ , . Single rooms with own bathroom. From ₱395.
- Plaza Beatriz Hotel, Port Road, ☏ . A/C single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱500/₱600.
- G V Hotel, port road., ☏ . A/C single and double rooms with own bathrooms and cable TV. The GV Hotel Ozamis has 62 rooms. ₱450/₱575/₱620/₱725.
- The Country Lodge., Ledesma street Extension., ☏ . 47 fan/A/C single and double rooms with own bathrooms. From ₱300.
- Rosales Travellers Lodge, Lesesma ext (over the street from The Country Lodge), ☏ . Nice size fan single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. Free Wi-Fi. cheapest single rooms in town. ₱225/₱400.
- Sky Lodge, Rizal avenue and Cebedo streets (4th floor), ☏ . Clean fan and A/C double rooms with own bathrooms and cable TV. ₱300/₱500.
- Travellers Inn, Mabini Street (behide RCBC bank). Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. A/c single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. Free Wi-Fi. ₱450/₱550.
- Minerva Tourist Inn, Washington Street. Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. A/c double with own bathroom.
- The Golden D Inn, Circumferencial Road, Purok 5 Lam-an, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com.
- City Tourist Inn, La Purisima Street (near the port), ☏ . Check-in: 1PM, check-out: noon.
- Internet cafe, port road. 8AM-10PM. ₱12 a hour.
- Bureau Of Immigration Ozamiz Office. Ground floor Gaisano South Wing. Port Road.
- Mayor Hilarion A Ramiro Sr Regional Hospital, ☏ . DOH Hospital.
- Generika Durg Store. Washington Street.
- 2-hour bus ride to Iligan.
- 1-hour bus ride to Oroquieta.
- 4-hour bus ride to Pagadian.
- 4-hour bus ride to Dipolog.
- overnight ferry to Cebu City.